HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:07 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Build Log
Recovering of Hangar 9 RV-8 with new scheme

I'm creating this thread as a Recover Log. I want to recover my H9 RV-8 in the chrome and red scheme displayed below. I'll start the thread with before pictures of the RV-8 in bare bones form as I tear off the factory covering and pictures of my progress as I recover the RV-8 and repaint the cowl, wheel pants and canopy.
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:08 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
The Big Brown truck delivered my Hangar 9 RV-8 today. I'll start stripping off the factory covering tomorrow and this weekend. A fellow RCG member pm'd me with concerns about covering a plane with this much chrome covering. He'd covered a plane using chrome covering before and said the plane liked to disappear into the blue sky. I didn't think about this and I'm wondering about not covering the entire back-half of the plane with chrome. I think I might leave the factory white on the bottom and only chrome the sides and top. This won't help when I'm flying away and banking with the top towards me, but I really like this scheme, so I think I'm going to chance it. Here it is before the carnage begins.
Last edited by moxjett; Nov 05, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:08 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Factory Covering Stripped Off

Here is the bare bones RV-8. Stripping off the covering was easy, now starts the hard part of recovering the RV-8. I've put on chrome stripping before, but I've never covered 2/3 of a plane before in chrome covering. I'm going to stick with the same UltraCote red color (Flame Red) that was on the tail of the RV-8. This was a scratch-n-dent model from ebay, so I had to repair a hole in the right side of the plane. This was an easy fix and a little light spackle and it's good as new and ready for covering.
Last edited by moxjett; Nov 09, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:09 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Progress so far.
Last edited by moxjett; Nov 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:10 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Reserved 4
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:10 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Reserved 5
Old Nov 06, 2009, 04:36 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
I'll be watching Mark! I like your choice of scheme.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Small covering progess

I started recovering the top of one of the wings with chrome monokoto last night to see how it was going to look. It turned out pretty good. It looks better in person, the picture makes it look like I used a gray covering. It'll look better once I get the red trim on and the invasion stripes on. I'm going to be using monokote missile red, because this is the only red I found that Top Flite makes their LustreKote spray paint in.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Rudder and Invasion Stripes

Recovered the rudder in checkered UltraCote last night and did the top invasion stripes on one wing tonight. Long way to go, but having fun doing it so far. The biggest challenge is going to be chroming the fuselage.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
I think it should really look awesome once you get it outside in the natural light. Indoors lighting makes for tough photos for sure. Gonna be cool!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
I think it should really look awesome once you get it outside in the natural light. Indoors lighting makes for tough photos for sure. Gonna be cool!
Yeah, this is the first time taking a picture of chrome covering indoors. Looks like dark gray.

Here is the red trim done on the top of one wing.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Looking really nice, can't wait to see the sunlight hit it!
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737 View Post
Looking really nice, can't wait to see the sunlight hit it!
Thanks simon. I hope it looks fairly close to the full size plane and I'll be happy.

I think I got the hardest part done this weekend. I practiced on the wing first to get back use to working with monokote to prepare for the fuselage. Today I finished covering the fuselage with chrome covering. It wasn't fun, but I got it done and with only a couple flaws, but nothing major. I still need to dress up the area just below the vertical stab. I plan on using a gray monokote instead of chrome to give it a cowl look like in the picture.

I like the last picture of the airplane the best. It looks like the plane has a light-bending cloaking device like on the movie Predator like the very last picture.
Last edited by moxjett; Nov 15, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:50 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
Completed the chrome covering of the fuselage last night. Just have to cover the other wing and I'll be done chroming. I trimmed the canopy to use it to determine where to put the red covering on the front.

Inspector #2 (cuz he's 2 ) does a once over of my work and gives the son certification approval.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:25 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
That IS looking cool Mark. Gonna look super sweet against a bright blue sky for sure. If it is good enough for the Inspector, it must be cool!
RCG Plus Member