HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:52 AM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
Discussion
New release film material

I was at Lowes the other day, looking for some release film since Michaels was out of the larger sizes of write-n-wipe poster board.

I found some material, made of vinyl, 10" wide by 50' long. It's labeled as flashing, near the shingles.

Feels just like the write-n-wipe. It has a matte side, and the gloss side is smoother and more reflective than write-n-wipe.

I'll be putting a set of wings in the bag today with this film and i'll report back on how it works.

Jon McLendon
j.m. is offline Find More Posts by j.m.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:43 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
You don't use Mylars?

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:54 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Hey J.M.! Long time!!

I'm interested in how well (or if) this stuff works for ya.
Also, have you used Mylar? Would be good to get a compairison on how both worked otu for you..
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:54 AM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
You don't use Mylars?

Gerald
No, you don't necessarily have to use mylars. A real-world UAV designer said that if the surface had a approx 0.005" or less imperfection, the flow over the surface was not turbulated as you might expect. Ou can get that with some foams. Obviously we all want and strive for that "shiny" surface, but he found that you could bag surfaces with just 4 mil plastic, that is if the you can find plastic that is not foled, and does not have bubbles or dust granules in the plastic. Their presence does show up in the final bagged surface. He has had considerable interaction with Dr. Drella, so I will go with my UAV friend on this one. It is particularly useful when the compound curves on surfaces are required and mylars do not work.
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:29 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
I will side with Thermalin' and JM on this one. There is always more than one way to get to the end. Just because something has always been done that way is not a reason to continue on the same path.

the best material I have ever used was the write and wipe poster board. It forms very nicely over curves. It will release very nicely with out wax, overall it is nice to use. I use very thin Mylars in order to get a nicer finish. I give up some durability but the end result is worth it.
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Let us know how it works - for small things (fins and such) it's nice to have a local source of material.

M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:58 PM
Bolton,England
Joined May 2003
1,419 Posts
What is it supposed to be used for?
Pook is offline Find More Posts by Pook
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:19 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
Let me add to that, the write on/wipe off material is not the same thickness as mylars so the epoxy flow under vacuum is not level. It leaves an awesome shine without waxing but it does leave bumps on the surface finish over foam cores. It works great for balsa fins and such that has a rigid core.
D.
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:32 PM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
Let me add to that, the write on/wipe off material is not the same thickness as mylars so the epoxy flow under vacuum is not level. It leaves an awesome shine without waxing but it does leave bumps on the surface finish over foam cores. It works great for balsa fins and such that has a rigid core.
D.
+1 on that
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:32 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,651 Posts
Im with Garald with this one.

AC5FF prof read.
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post

AC5FF proOf read.
You too buddy...

I have not used mylars, only the write-n-wipe poster board. Im trying to not have to use wax, as Paul noted, and hopefully the flashing will give an even smoother surface since it's slightly shinier than the write-n-wipe.

But long story short, didn't get to bagging the wings today. Will do tomorrow.

I have played with some mylar before, it was for drafting (mechanical drawing) in the size of a regular piece of computer paper. I do not know what thickness it was, but the vinyl flashing and write-n-wipe seem stiffer.

Jon
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:51 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post

AC5FF prof read.
George.. I do NOT believe YOU of all people have any place in God's green earth to correct ANYONE's typing and/or English!

You know... (and sorry JM for putting this here) ...I have had to deal with people from all over the world in my 21yrs in the military... But I have YET to see ANYONE that was as full of themselves as you!

Now .. back to subject.. J.M. Where are you picking up the white erase material??? Can you give me a part#/etc??
I have heard that good craft stores (like Michaels) would have stuff like this... Where would I find it there? How much?
I just yesterday found 150' rolls of 4mil mylar sheets .. Forgot to ask how much they were tho. Will have to call em back tomorrow and see; but I'm always willing to try something different!

I've got my wings cut, and my obichi arrived today. Not gonna require a mylar/white board for this one, but I may end up glassing over the top so I'm on the hunt for something to use. (hopefully cheap LoL) I was at Lowes today and looked around for the stuff you originally were talking about but didn't see it.... Not a big deal - the other things I went for I couldn't find either! They keep moving all their stock around! One day the glues will be in isle 23 the next day that isle is full of screws and bolts! Just can't win!! LoL
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Last edited by AC5FF; Nov 05, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:00 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,856 Posts
I always thought the reason we used thick (.014") mylar was because of of it's stiffness. It's ability to bridge minor all the minor imperfections in the foam/glass is what leaves you with that nice fresh from the mold look when you pull it out of the bag. If your mylar (or whatever you're using) is too thin then all that stuff telegraphs through.
Just something to keep in mind when looking for alternatives.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Nov 06, 2009, 06:15 AM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
I always thought the reason we used thick (.014") mylar was because of of it's stiffness. It's ability to bridge minor all the minor imperfections in the foam/glass is what leaves you with that nice fresh from the mold look when you pull it out of the bag. If your mylar (or whatever you're using) is too thin then all that stuff telegraphs through.
Just something to keep in mind when looking for alternatives.
Dave
That seems cogent... The vinyl stuff is thick. Don't have calipers, but it's around 7 or 8 sheets of paper stacked together, right around the thickness of write-n-wipe.

ac5ff...
Id say just to order the write-n-wipe online. It's much cheaper.

The lrgest size i've found is only 28" wide which really limits you unless you want a seam on your wings. @ Michaels, it's about $2 for a 24" x 28" sheet. Online that's closer to $1 and the shipping is cheap, they'll roll it up.

In the Lowes near my place, it's next to the lumber isle, where they have the strips of poplar, red oak, and the smaller sheets of birch ply (not Baltic birch, btw, not good quality wood). Did you see the aluminum/tin flashing? It also comes in a light caramel color, which isn't pretty, but it is cheaper. And they sell it in 10' rolls if you don't want a bunch.

Maybe it's just a regional thihng, i'd check at the service desk if they don't have it in stock, to see if they can order it.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 06:39 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post

Maybe it's just a regional thihng, i'd check at the service desk if they don't have it in stock, to see if they can order it.
Might be...

Can you post a picture of the package?

Thanks

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian