SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:11 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
Setting DX7 failsafe

Is there a way to set the DX7s failsafe without rebinding? I have to set my throttle to < 0%. Is there a way to do this without rebinding?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,848 Posts
The first time you BND is so you have control over the RX, the second time is so you can set the fail safe.

You would not be able to set failsafe if you can not control the RX and tell it where you want the channels/failsafe to be set.

BND once, then position the stick exactly where you want them to be then BND again. Its no big deal to BND twice but it is to set proper fail safe.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:24 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,634 Posts
Are you sure that’s correct. On my Futaba 8FGH there is a separate transmitter menu that lets you select the mode and value for each channel.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:34 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
It also depends on which rx you're using?

The later model AR-7000's and up can do either last commanded position on all servos or a preset position. The earlier AR-7000's and lower channel number rx's can only set the throttle at a predetermined position with all others set at last commanded position.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,848 Posts
Regardless, he is asking for a spektrum system and Spektrum recommend you BND TWICE to properly set failsafe.

Takes no time to re-BND a second time and I am not sure if DX7 as a menu option for failsafe.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:38 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
927 Posts
No menu option for failsafe.

The failsafe and/or initial power-on position is set at bind time, hence the recommendation of binding a second time once the sub-trims and mechanical linkages are all setup.

D.
darkith is online now Find More Posts by darkith
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:48 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,848 Posts
I dont understand what the big deal is about RE-Binding, it take very little effort to do it the first time that one would think its easier the second time.

What are you trying to do or setup that you only want to do it once.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:18 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
Don't get your knickers in a knot.....

When re-binding to set "Failsafe", one MUST determine which rx is being run and if it's capable of both setup types, which one do you want to use? If the rx is capable of doing either "Failsafe" or "Smartsafe", then the procedure is different between the two.

No one is suggesting it's difficult or shouldn't be done, but folks post all the time about how the servos jump or make max travel limit movements when the rx is first turned on and before it links with the tx which is due to a failure to do the second bind, so it's not an uncommon question.

Your last question for the OP is the best comment so far....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Nov 06, 2009, 09:12 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
OK guys - My failsafe isn't working now. It was before I re-binded. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

First: The symtoms. I move the rudder to fuill left, watch the servo, and then switch off the Tx. I EXPECT the servo to center (as I bound with the sticks centered). Instead, nothing happens. Rudder remains full left. I leave the sticks, and switch back on... Rudder centers.

It seems the Rx is keeping the last known stick position.

Now, maybe I am doing something wrong.

I plug the binf plug into the power port on the Rx. I plug my 5V supply into another free port. (In my case, it's in the throttle port).

Everything is off.

I power up the Rx (which, by the way, has all my servos still plugged in).

The orange lights flash like crazy.

I position the sticks where I want them. In my case, all switches off, rudder, elevator and ailerons all centred, and throttle closed.

I hold down the Bind button on the back of ther DX7, and switch on.

Lights on the Rx flash differently for a few seconds, then go solid on.

I switch off the Rx, switch off the Tx, remove bind plug and replace my throttle wire.

I then do a test as stated above... Switch on everything, rudder fell left, siwtch off Tx. And the rudder stays where it is.

Am I doing something wrong?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:36 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,313 Posts
As Zeeb says, first thing is to know what receiver you are using -- please tell us. The basic "Smart Failsafe" simply puts throttle where it was when the receiver was bound to the TX (obviously should be set to low) and leaves the other controls wherever they happen to be when signal is lost. Unless you have one of the higher end receivers, it sounds like your radio is working perfectly normally.

However, you say it was working differently before you rebound. So maybe you do have a receiver that can be set to use "Preset Failsafe." Here's what the AR9000 instructions have to say about setting it up.

Preset Failsafe
If loss of signal occurs Preset failsafe drives all servos to their preset failsafe positions.

Programming Preset Failsafe
During the binding process the bind plug is inserted in the bind port, then the receiver is powered
up. The LEDs in each receiver should blink, indicating that the receiver is in bind mode. Now before
binding the receiver to the transmitter and with the receiver in bind mode, remove the bind plug. The
LEDs will still be blinking. With the control sticks and switches in the desired failsafe positions, bind
the transmitter to the receiver. Follow the procedures of your specifc transmitter to enter Bind Mode.
The system should connect in less than 15 seconds. The receiver is now programmed for preset
failsafe.
Note: Failsafe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during binding.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 06, 2009 at 10:51 PM.