HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:22 AM
WARP SPEED SCOTTY!
Bowling Green Ky
Joined May 2008
66 Posts
Help!
Need Help Choosing first 6ch Heli

Guys i'm a total noob when it comes to helis so you will have to forgive me I've got a Blade MSR and I can fly it around the house and I can fly it outside pretty well even in 5mph winds. I've got the swash plate on the advanced settings and on high rate. Now I'm wanting a 450 size heli, but I don't really want to spend a ton, because IDK if i'm going to like it or not. Planes are my first priority and i've been flying for around 4 years now. I've flown everything from a blue foam profile to a Comp ARF Flash. I'm not looking to fly crazy 3D and eventually I would like to slap a MD500 Fuse on 450 and call it good. Now I would love to have a Trex, but i'm not looking to spend that much. I was looking on xheli at the Belt CP V2. I like the price, but is it worth a crap? I also saw this one

http://www.xheli.com/exrc2450sert.html#

and it is a Trex 450 clone right? So that means trex parts will fit it right? Just looking for input on a budget RTF 450. Of course anything I get the supplied radio and rx will be thrown out and i'll put it on my 9303. Any help would be appreciated.
skewba98z28 is offline Find More Posts by skewba98z28
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:06 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Aug 2009
126 Posts
well there is quite a few heli to choose from just like the one that you have listed

T-rex 450 and it's clones
Blade 400 and it's clones

Things to think about

You will crash [sorry we all do] and are spares available at your LHS with what ever heli you choose
have you considered a S-hand heli ????

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...?pid=KX015045A
as you have been into planes for a while im guessing that you may have a radio and servo's laying around it's up to you in the end !!! just dont buy of E-bay as most are only toys
Bushido is offline Find More Posts by Bushido
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
I have a Belt CP V2; it's a decent heli and is used as the basis for lots of scale helis. Check this website out for scale fuselages: http://darthdrk.4t.com/ He's been using the Belt CP for his scale helis for years.

But, that comes later. The Belt CP V2 will benefit from a better gyro and higher amp ESC. It could also uses a better tail slider, but it's not critical. You will find that most 450 helis are based on the same Align Trex 450 design. The biggest differences are in frame design, component and material quality. They are all highly compatible; my Belt CP uses a Blade 400 head, Telebee gyro and Align tail assembly, because they are what I had around when I needed to make repairs. EXI makes some very nice CNC upgrades for the Trex clones that work with most any of them.

I've owned two of the clones and found they are a lot more of a "crap shoot" than the Belt CP; the quality varies a lot. On the last clone, I had to replace the main gear, swash plate, one-way bearing hub, and blade holders before I could get it to hover. The first one was better, but it was a lot more expensive clone. Clone components are manufactured in different grades by the same Chinese company under several names; I think it's GuLang Industries, but that may be just another psuedo-company name. It really doesn't matter which clone you buy. Ultimately, you will upgrade most components. The clones I've had wound up with Align components and a clone frame. I'd have been better off buying the Trex to start; then you don't need to worry about what's going to break next.

Regardless of which heli you choose, the best investment you can make is in a good programmable TX setup. You will want different settings for learning than for flying scale and most cheap RTF helis come set up for 3D and have limited programmability. The Blade 400 is now priced about $325 - $350 and comes with a heli that's comparable to the clones or Belt CP, but has a very nice DX6i radio setup. It's a very attractive package at these prices; it wasn't at $470.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 05, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:46 AM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
since u already have a 9303 ... just get an ALIGN 450 SPORT or PRO
i have the PRO super combo kit .. just add lipo and rx and its RTF
read what ppl who owns them have to say .. http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153
i personally love my PRO .. i slapped on a 5V UBEC after reading the cyclics were prone to overvoltage from the 6V built in BEC ... so far nothing has failed yet .. and this is after close to 500 flights
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:04 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewba98z28 View Post
Guys i'm a total noob when it comes to helis so you will have to forgive me I've got a Blade MSR and I can fly it around the house and I can fly it outside pretty well even in 5mph winds. I've got the swash plate on the advanced settings and on high rate. Now I'm wanting a 450 size heli, but I don't really want to spend a ton, because IDK if i'm going to like it or not. Planes are my first priority and i've been flying for around 4 years now. I've flown everything from a blue foam profile to a Comp ARF Flash. I'm not looking to fly crazy 3D and eventually I would like to slap a MD500 Fuse on 450 and call it good. Now I would love to have a Trex, but i'm not looking to spend that much. I was looking on xheli at the Belt CP V2. I like the price, but is it worth a crap? I also saw this one

http://www.xheli.com/exrc2450sert.html#

and it is a Trex 450 clone right? So that means trex parts will fit it right? Just looking for input on a budget RTF 450. Of course anything I get the supplied radio and rx will be thrown out and i'll put it on my 9303. Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, the Exceed RC heli is a Trex 450 clone. However, the Belt CP is not a Trex 450 clone. I would go with the clone because of good parts availability.

Regarding the Blade MSR...moving up to a 450 size CP heli will still be quite a steep learning curve. Though the MSR does exhibit a few flight characteristics of a single rotor heli, even on the advanced swash position/high rates, the MSR has some self-correcting attributes and is still WAY more stable versus a 450 size heli. So, I would highly recommend copious amounts of practice on a high-end sim.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Listen to Balr14 - he knows how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate. The only thing I would add is make sure you get a good simulator and practice on it often.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Listen to Balr14 - he knows how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate. The only thing I would add is make sure you get a good simulator and practice on it often.
I be edumacated! I didn't know the 9303 supports helis. It's way out of my price range. Obviously, the good, programmable Tx issue is covered. I second the good sim and lots of practice. I prefer Real Flight.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Heck yeah, the 9303 is awesome

Well... the X9303 is awesome... the old 9303 has heli programming though.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=JRP2915
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:47 PM
WARP SPEED SCOTTY!
Bowling Green Ky
Joined May 2008
66 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I'm in the process of putting a Intel Core i7, ATI Crossfire, Win 7 PC together so i'll be picking up Real Flight G5 when it's done. I have a FM 9303 with the Spektrum module, of course I wouldn't even know where to begin programming wise, but i've got a local heli guy to help me.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 09:08 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys! I'm in the process of putting a Intel Core i7, ATI Crossfire, Win 7 PC together so i'll be picking up Real Flight G5 when it's done. I have a FM 9303 with the Spektrum module, of course I wouldn't even know where to begin programming wise, but i've got a local heli guy to help me.
OOOh I love building computers, which I7 did you get and what memory are you using? I've been using Win 7 RC 64 bit ever since it was released to the public numerous months ago and really like it, (but then I was one of the few people that didn't mind Vista), Win 7 is miles better than Vista though. I used to be a die hard ATI fan until I started using Linux, then jumped over to NVidia, but that was back when ATI cards didn't run on Linux very well, I've heard they are better now.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Nov 07, 2009, 04:05 PM
WARP SPEED SCOTTY!
Bowling Green Ky
Joined May 2008
66 Posts
I didn't think any card ran well on Linux lol. I used to have a Core 2 Duo box with dual 8600Gt's in SLi and it wouldn't run a HD video under Ubuntu. (Can't remember which release) where as under XP I could run the badass 1080p vids on Quicktimes website with max resolution set with one card. The only part i've bought so far is my case. I picked up a Thermaltake Armour Plus full tower when the egg had them on sale. I'm moving out of a apt to a house in two weeks so i'll start the build then.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:42 PM
bluefield va.
Joined Sep 2009
319 Posts
I bought my belt cp v2 from xheli and I like it very much at our club there's many kinds of helis from trexs to blades. I paid 163 shipped and I figure if it last thur teaching me forward flight then its a win! ITS NOT A TREX OR A BLADE but it will do fine in leaning forward flight....ALSO.....if you live in midwest to east coast look at jag hobbies for parts he ships fast and only costs 4 bucks...HOPE THIS HELPS ..BY THE WAY JAG HOBBIES IS IN OHIO which is close to ky...
grasschopper is offline Find More Posts by grasschopper
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
26 Posts
GO TO HOBBYPARTZ.COM

they sell cheap good replacement parts motors esc's servos gyros and everything youll need at an extremely low choice
rockonmyfriend is offline Find More Posts by rockonmyfriend
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,997 Posts
Quote:
I didn't think any card ran well on Linux lol.
Nvidia graphic cards have been running quite well on linux and 64 bit too for quite a long time already. You have to be able to compile kernel modules though.

Go to the Nvidia website to get the ones there, they are very up to date. Please do not use the nvidia driver embedded in the kernel.

Intel and ATI graphics might not be so great under linux, but as ATI had been taken over by AMD and linux support should be improving.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Ah, the joys of open source...

My nVidia card just worked when I plugged it in... at least Vista can do one thing right. Oh wait... it pretty much does everything right. When I buy a hammer, I don't want to have to fix it before I can use it. A computer is a tool... it should just work.