HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
74 Posts
Great day

Had a Great day of flying yesterday. The plane flew great and had no problems with the repairs that I done. Plenty of tows and practice. It's really difficult to fly a smooth pattern with 40 LBS hanging on the tail. Oh and no snow in sight.
Don VG is offline Find More Posts by Don VG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,800 Posts
Hey Guys - have a pair of tires from top model I no longer need. They're just over 6 inches. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Here they are on my porter:

Pilatus Porter by tulz43, on Flickr
tulz43 is online now Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:50 AM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
Storms

Any of you guys back east get hit with the storms?

Mike
mwgib123 is offline Find More Posts by mwgib123
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:42 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
Dle 112

Hobby King has more of the DLE 112 in stock and they are going fast.

Mike
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:04 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
HI Mike,
I just got back from FL this week, I was there for the Nascar Race in Daytona. I know the guys in the middle of the country are struggling with Tornado's.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

LEN
www.RcAerotowing.com
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Now Flying

Finally got mine into the air. Flies great, as advertised. One major problem - retainer washer in one shock came off in flight, which causes shock to come apart. Impossible to land with one wheel hanging way down and turned 90 deg. to flight! Had to dump it in which caused some damage. Had read about this problem earlier, but had checked one and it appeared secure, evidently it the was the other one that was loose. Now both silver soldered.

For those who are interested, am flying with a Hacker 80-10, Castle Ice 160, 12s x 5000 batteries, 25x12 prop. Plenty of power, more than I need.
toberd is offline Find More Posts by toberd
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Been there. I had that happen too. I just landed like normal and there was a little scratch on the side where the shock scraped the fuse, other than that, no big deal.

I have a friend who has made a CNC mold of the windshield for the Porter. He is producing them out of a material that is TWICE as thick as the original. I have gone through a few windshields due to cracking at attach points and one that cracked when she threw a prop in flight.
Anyway, if someone is interested in a windshield, he may be willing to make some up. Price is something to still be determined, but I imagine it will be around 25 bucks or so. If you can ever get an original thin flimsy one from the manufacturer, its about $20.00 to your door. These will cost more for sure..
I'll post a few pictures when I get a change on the www.RcAerotowing.com/forum site. Thats where most hang out now.
LEN
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
Re: windshield

I will take a windshield for sure. I wen through and doubled mine and the attachment points which helped but now it looks weard.

Mike
Old May 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2010
74 Posts
Landing gear

Been having trouble with the springs getting soft in the struts. This is allowing the plane to move around on take off , when I land in pavement the model is all over and hard to control. What I;m trying is a piece of "O" material .275 in Dia. and 1" 1/2 long. This will limit the travel of the strut and hoping the model will not sag so much.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
Years ago I had some really old guy show me a trick on tail draggers taht really helped on hard runways. Have 2~5 deg toe in on the wheels. I have been doing it on all my tail draggers, Works great. I also have a piece of large fuel line tubing the same size as the compressed spring inside the spring before I put the shock together.It limits the travel.

Mike
Old May 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
74 Posts
SO the model handled the pavement so much better today. With 100 OZ on board it was night and day difference. I may go back in and add a longer length. With this much fuel the model still wants to squat a bit. Off to Visalia, CA. next week for three days of towing and flying gliders. Going to be a great time, and it's only 95 DEG.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Porter morphed into Fairchild AU-23A Peacemaker

Just thought I would post a few pictures of my Porter kit which has been transformed (not very well) into a Fairchild AU-23A Peacmaker in Thialand markings. I have also attached a picture of a real one. Lots of work for so-so results.
toberd is offline Find More Posts by toberd
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
370 Posts
It looks awsome. nice to see you take it up a notch

Mike
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
GUYS,

Landing Gear Brackets and thicker windshields are now available.

PM me if interested.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:42 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Pilatus Porter Landing Gear Springs

Guys, We recently had the landing gear springs on the Piper Pawnee re-manufactured by a spring company here in the USA. They tested the original and recalculated the loads, determining they were not the best choice. We had a bunch made and distributed them around.

Now we are thinking about doing the same with the Porter. As you all know, the springs in the gear of the Porter are weak and after a handful of landings they take a set and the gear gets very springy.

I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see about getting some new springs designed, and then have them produced. I would like to get an idea of who would want a pair or two for their plane.

Please let me know by responding to the link below

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...ter-Tug/page13

LEN