Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchristensen View Post
I like those big ol' bush tires..

Brian
Brian
Those are Du-Bro 8" wheels. Yes they look sorta cool but they are a bit heavy. Originally I had a 26" two blade prop installed with Du-Bro 6" inflatable tires. Kept experiencing prop strikes! Then I went up to the 8" solids and a 25" Mejzlik three blade. Took care of that problem!

Len
Sharp looking Porter you got there! Looks first class!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Flying the point of the mtn.
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
465 Posts
I've got the 7" tires and a 27" blade. No strikes yet but it's close! Just got a 26" x 14 pitch 3-blade that I'm going to try. Just haven't maxed out that electric A150-8 yet so I'm still playing with different options. I might need to throw 8" wheels soon.

Brian
bchristensen is offline Find More Posts by bchristensen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Videos
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Wing installation problem

Received my 3.2 meter kit a couple of weeks ago. Was very impressed overall with the quality and workmanship. Everything seemed to fit perfectly. However, today I tried to plug in my wings for the first time. Disaster!! The metal spar will not go very far into the wings before binding severely. I can only get it into one wing about 3 inches, the other wing about 4 inches. I have tried everything I can think of, and worked for hours with a file as far into the wing as I can go, with little results.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a fix that doesn't require tearing the wings apart and rebuilding them? Any help would be appreciated.
toberd is offline Find More Posts by toberd
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
367 Posts
wings

Mine was the same way. I was able to plug mine in abour 6 in each. I belt sanded the metal down about 1/16 in to get one in the other I had to taper the end a little more. the only place that needs to be tight is right at the fuse, the wing struts carry the load out to the tip. I also marked left and right on the bar to aid in assembly at the field.

send some pics of the build..

Mike
mwgib123 is offline Find More Posts by mwgib123
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Re: Wings

Was finally able to get the wings on. Went to Home Depot and got a long file (about 15"), and working it in and out of the slot for about 2 hours finally got it to where the spars would go in. Total time on this project (plugging in wings) was about 5 hours. Oh well, everything else has fit so far, so I shouldn't complain.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,042 Posts
The other approach is to construct a plywood sanding stick the general shape of the joiner blade and face it with sandpaper. That's how I made my wings fit.

Steve
SteveR is online now Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:04 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
465 Posts
Mine was a little tight, and actually still is a little tight but it did go all the way on. One wing is tighter than the other so I just plug the spar into that wing and then into the fuse. I don't leave the spar in the fuse.

I sanded the metal down a little, then faced some wood and sanded the wing inside. Worked great. I actually roughed up the wing spar itself near the end and used it as a sander in the wing slot. 4 or 5 passes made it much easier to get it all the way in without breaking the wing or pinching the wing so tight you about go through the ultrakote.

It might get tight again when the weather warms up.. I'll probably have to sand more since I hear that many of the planes had this problem.

Brian
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,527 Posts
Wow, Sorry to hear that issue guys, I've had three and never and issue. I guess I was lucky.
Glad to hear you worked it all out. Good luck with the rest of the build. What are your power plant plans? ( say that three times fast )

LEN
rcAerotowing.com
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
16 Posts
Power for mine is currently an existing Hacker A80-10, Castle 160 controller, 12S batteries and a 25x12 prop package (previously 1/2 of a package used on large twin). Will not be used for towing, I have other plans. Will see how it flies on the above.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
465 Posts
I just put a carbon 3 blade 26x14 on the hacker a150-8 with 12s and I think I've nearly doubled the thrust. Haven't got it in the air yet. Had to do some re-covering so took the time to make a few changes...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:40 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
How many amps are you pulling now?
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:25 PM
Been there, Crashed that.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
The other approach is to construct a plywood sanding stick the general shape of the joiner blade and face it with sandpaper. That's how I made my wings fit
Steve
Thats what I did as well. Also sanded the metal abit with 600 or about to smooth it... but it was the stick did the trick.
hmarshall is offline Find More Posts by hmarshall
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:03 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
465 Posts
Not sure on the amps yet. I can only bench test the plane for now with the weather so cold outside. Next week looks to be good weather so I'll get it out and check the amps. I just know that on a single 6s battery I createded a mini tornado inside my shop room. The 27 x 12 carbon kicked up some wind but nothing like this 3-blade. I've heard disappointed comments on the 3 blade but the added pitch made a noticeable difference and the motor seemed to strain a bit more which is good because there was minimal strain with the 27x12 recommended prop at 12s and the amps were very low.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
74 Posts
Porter Repaired

Happy New Year Everyone
Got the porter repaired and test flown today. What a great day in San Diego today 75 Deg. Thanks Len for the front Wind Screen. It fit great. We plan to do some towing tomorrow and having a great day of it. Repaired the tail wheel by bonding some G10 board to the top of the carbon. Made for a good repair.

Don
Don VG is offline Find More Posts by Don VG
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
367 Posts
Nice repair Don, I cant even tell it was repaired.

mike
mwgib123 is offline Find More Posts by mwgib123