SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:56 AM
Been there, Crashed that.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
166 Posts
Cool video Martin! Looks really good on the landings.

Took a bit of step back in getting mine together. Last hurtle is the bloomin control horn for the tailwheel. The brass and plastic include just won't hold a grip to the rudder shaft.

Could use JB Weld, that would hold, but.. I can see a pull-pull wire or such eating thru the plastic, eventually needing to replace the horn. So thinking of some 'metal' arm I can fabricate and spot weld/JB to the shaft. In any event, the one I have is bunged up so have to do something. Also considering just dropping a servo in to service it and be done.

While down there messing around, took off the Hanger 9 tailwheel, but left the H9 CF arm installed. Took the J&J tailwheel off their arm and installed on H9 arm. Much better look and ability to hold the weight. Additionally, had some issues getting the wing linkage setup. DX7, Smartfly equalizer2 for the aile's, an ele-gear mix, flaps on sep. channels. For whatever reason the left ail servo would fight on upward movement. Messed with EP's, linkages, trims and everything else until blue in face without much success. As to flaps, 3 evenings trying to get them to deploy at same angles. One will always travel a few degrees down more than the other. So... said enough with tinkering, dropping a 9 ch. RX into it and set up with a JR 11x.. get'er done..

Not content I decided to swap out the Wolverine pin switch I'd been using for a few years. Started to get a bit of play in the pin shaft so things wouldn't always turn on/off cleanly. Dropped in Fromecos' Badger sliding switch. Not entirely thrilled, the Badger uses a smaller wire gauge than the Wolverine, something like an 8awg vs. a 14awg. Didn't need a 2 switch setup and ASSUMED they used same gauge on both switches. Live, spend, learn!

Otherwise its looking really good and can't wait to get it all together. Noticed that it just doesn't look scale in the front, finally figured that the cowl needs about another 1 1/2" length of the round section up front. Hmm.. Fiberglass Specialties is just a few miles down the road.. do that then come up with an Ultimate style spinner with the backplate just barely recessed into the cowl, and that would do it! Maybe some day, right now I just want to get this bird in the air before winter!
hmarshall is offline Find More Posts by hmarshall
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Langlo
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Turboprop Porter

Hi All
I am looking for some feedback on how the 3.2 Meter porter flies.
I am looking to put a turboprop in one.
I have an Extra turboprop and lots of Turbine Jets.
Geting older (65) and need a bit of relaxation.
I dont like Cubs I have had several and they all fly like Cubs.
Lousy on Ailerons and not a lot better on rudder.
I fly Turbine choppers as well.
Is the Pilatus Porter boring or do the fly well.
I have several tow planes all around the 150 cc size and Scale Sale planes up to 8 meters.
Would i like a Tirboprop Pilatus Porter 3.2 meter or is it a Cub in discuise
Regards brglazza
brglarry is offline Find More Posts by brglarry
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:30 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Great video guys the U/C works a treat!
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:37 AM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brglarry View Post
Hi All
I am looking for some feedback on how the 3.2 Meter porter flies.
I am looking to put a turboprop in one.
I have an Extra turboprop and lots of Turbine Jets.
Geting older (65) and need a bit of relaxation.
I dont like Cubs I have had several and they all fly like Cubs.
Lousy on Ailerons and not a lot better on rudder.
I fly Turbine choppers as well.
Is the Pilatus Porter boring or do the fly well.
I have several tow planes all around the 150 cc size and Scale Sale planes up to 8 meters.
Would i like a Tirboprop Pilatus Porter 3.2 meter or is it a Cub in discuise
Regards brglazza
I fly the 2.6M Pilatus and it is very capable. The bigger one would be a blast with a turboprop. They are capable of good aerobatics, and a low pass in sustained full knife edge looks great! About the only manoeuvre they are not great at is a stall turn. There is just a bit of roll coupling. could probably be dialled out on the Tx, but as I don'y spend that much time aerobatting (mostly towing), I haven't bothered.

Simon
en_spt is offline Find More Posts by en_spt
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
Australia, QLD, Langlo
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Turboprop Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_spt View Post
I fly the 2.6M Pilatus and it is very capable. The bigger one would be a blast with a turboprop. They are capable of good aerobatics, and a low pass in sustained full knife edge looks great! About the only manoeuvre they are not great at is a stall turn. There is just a bit of roll coupling. could probably be dialled out on the Tx, but as I don'y spend that much time aerobatting (mostly towing), I haven't bothered.

Simon
Thanks Simon
I have several Tugs which are only used for towing
The Porter will be mainly used as a sport model.
Will get a turn at aerotow of course but that is not the intended roal.
I can live without a stall turn
Thanks for the info, the project is GO
Regards brglazza
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
Munich, GERMANY
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Turbo Porter 3.2 meters

Hi, I am Markus.
@Mark tylor, brglarry: I have a question to you guys...
What brand for Turboprop do you want to use ?

I have the 3.2 meter Porter from Topmodel and I have a bigger/longer project to electrify it. I also thought about a Turboprop in the past, but I got stuck coz of the associated costs.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you guys are planning to do on the kerosene side

Thanks in advance
Markus from Munich, Germany
Cluster-Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cluster-Buster
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Langlo
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluster-Buster View Post
Hi, I am Markus.
@Mark tylor, brglarry: I have a question to you guys...
What brand for Turboprop do you want to use ?

I have the 3.2 meter Porter from Topmodel and I have a bigger/longer project to electrify it. I also thought about a Turboprop in the past, but I got stuck coz of the associated costs.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you guys are planning to do on the kerosene side

Thanks in advance
Markus from Munich, Germany
Hi Markus
I have a Jet Centrals Turboprop that i intend to use.
On the electric thing I have a Hacker A200 in a 48% CARF Pitts 12
Regards Larry
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:36 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Hey Guys,

Ok so I have been a bit busy lately. Flying my Turbo Porter!!!

After a long wait the Wren TP44 Turboprop engine finally turned up and it was like the 2.64m version of this plane was made for this engine.

I simply cut the correct size and shape hole in the fire wall and it bolted straight in. There is a 2" square hole with a ply wood cover over it in the bottom of the plane that is just the right size for a cheater hole. Just leave the cover off it.

Then I started to make some modifications...

I fitted a 2.5 litre (80oz?) Du-Bro fuel tank, a 175ml header tank, a Smart-Fly power control system and all of the other stuff that goes with a turbine engine.

How does it fly? Like a dream!!

No weight issues. Better that 1:1 power to weight. I can almost 3D it. (Pilot issues not plane or power issues.)

We fly off a short strip so I fitted Kavan electric brakes with a Castle Creations Pixie P7 brushed speed controller to give proportional activation and prevent any tripping incidents. These fitted in nicely behind the 6" Du-Bro inflatable tyres.

The rudder / tail wheel setup is the final area of this plane that I will be changing. See my other post #582 for all of the other modifications that were made prior the the Wren arriving.

I will try to get some photos in the near future.

Cheers,

Aaron (The Porterholic!!)
bigazzam is offline Find More Posts by bigazzam
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention.

It looks fantastic with the big exhaust pipes, is surprisingly quiet and smells sweet when it starts.

You sort of get the full scale effect.
bigazzam is offline Find More Posts by bigazzam
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
So out of interest how long a run time do you get from a tank of kero?

Great work would love to see the install...... One of those projects on the wish list I must do.....
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Sorry double post
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigazzam View Post
Oh, forgot to mention.

It looks fantastic with the big exhaust pipes, is surprisingly quiet and smells sweet when it starts.

You sort of get the full scale effect.
Man that looks awesome!
tulz43 is online now Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
Been there, Crashed that.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigazzam View Post
Oh, forgot to mention.
It looks fantastic with the big exhaust pipes, is surprisingly quiet and smells sweet when it starts. You sort of get the full scale effect.
SWEET!! I would not have thought the Wren would fit the 2.6 bird... and those pipes do look good!!
hmarshall is offline Find More Posts by hmarshall
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarshall View Post
SWEET!! I would not have thought the Wren would fit the 2.6 bird... and those pipes do look good!!
I measured it at all out when I was building mine but just couldn't justify the price at the time. So I went electric. Which has a great sound with the big prop i'm spinning. But I'd love to hear the wren in action.

bigazzam - anyway you could get some video?
tulz43 is online now Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:25 AM
Horned one
Vigo, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
759 Posts
Here's a 3m turboprop, with links to a couple of (bad) videos:

http://www.miliamperios.com/foro/aer...turbo%20porter
zero-zero is offline Find More Posts by zero-zero