SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2009, 06:40 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Discussion
Do you run in salt water? Who is in there with you.

Take a look at this. I am staying in Wisconsin thank you very much.

http://seabreezenews.com/back%20issu...9/Page_01c.pdf
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2009, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
I went snorkeling in Hawaii and was having a ball 'till something similar swam by me. Then I realized how exposed I was, also to sharks etc and it became less fun.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Nov 04, 2009, 11:20 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,479 Posts
Salt water.... how about those asian carp...

jeez, I knew these were a problem, but I have never
seen a school jumping like in this video.....

Asian Carp Invasion Part I (7 min 4 sec)

Check 2:30 in this second part...

Asian Carp Invasion Part II (6 min 37 sec)
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Nov 04, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:02 AM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
I'd be more worried about the bacteria that caused the death of the fellow mentioned in the other story. May not be a bad idea to bring a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to the lake with you!
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:10 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,630 Posts
Rosen Fleet Repulse Bay 10-11-09

Apparently what lurks beneath doesn't phase the members of Rosen Fleet down in Hong Kong.

Here are some photos from a recent outing on Repulse Bay.

Not sure if they sanitize their boats once they take them out of the water.
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Last edited by herrmill; Nov 05, 2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
I'd be more worried about the bacteria that caused the death of the fellow mentioned in the other story. May not be a bad idea to bring a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to the lake with you!
That might have been what he was concerned about!
Chlorine bleach might be a better bet than the 3% hydrogen peroxide available in drug stores. The problem with the wounds is that many times they're punctures, which can be impossible to clean with a topical disinfectant.

I first learned of Vibrio vulnificus in the mid 80's when diving and fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. In my area on the Gulf Coast, hospital staff will check for Vibrio if you inform them you've been involved in marine activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus

http://scuba-doc.com/marinf.htm
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:07 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,011 Posts
I did read a long time ago that the way to calm a Conger down was to whack it very hard where the thinking goes on, about 3/4 of the way down to the tail. Anywhere else just annoys it.
My salt water is a seaside lake, part of the Fylde Coast sea defences, so no really big stuff below. Visiting cormorants find plenty of eels, and there are crabs, shrimps and flatfish in there.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:36 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,287 Posts
We are not alone! Nice pic's there Herrmill, tell me though, are these model plastic kits...they look smallish. Nice bow wave action!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:36 AM
SE Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2009
175 Posts
I too was snorkeling in Hawaii about 3 years ago and saw something simular about 7 feet below me on the bottom. After screaming like a school girl, I made a B line for the beach, turned in my snorkle equipment and got myself a cold beer. Aside from swimming with the dolphins in their controlled environment, I didn't enter the water again on that trip. My wife was more brave than I and stuck around to get a picture of it with the underwater camera. It still gives me the willies.
jschneider is offline Find More Posts by jschneider
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:01 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
My brother used to race R/C cars with a guy who had a scar on his hand between the thumb & index finger. He was scuba diving in Hawaii and saw a lobster. The lobster scurried into the rocks and he reached in after it. The Moray Eel lurking in the crevise took an instant dislike to him and proceeded to try and take a bite out of his hand. It wouldn't let go and had to be removed at the hospital.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:21 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
My experience is that saltwater fish are more agressive, when boated, than freshwater fish. On a fishing boat off Panama (Gulf of David, Pacific side), a 2 ft mackeral landed on a line had all of us, including the tough guys aboard, hopping to avoid getting bit :-). The eel in the scary story was just, as was our mackeral, trying to survive. If you swam by it, as opposed to boating it, it'd likely leave you alone.

I've swum with moray eels - I didn't bite them and vice versa. I did not reach into their homes, unlike the lobster catcher...that's a clue, swimmers :-). Eels are like dogs: they have intelligence, and they will bite if threatened. None, as far as I know, eat humans.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:43 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Grew up swimming in Tampa Bay and the Gulf. Collected tropicals all over. Only time I got bit was by a 400lb flipper who didn't take kindly to being force fed in order to be trained for show work. Still got the scars 40+ years later. Never got any bacterial or bug stuff from the Ocean. Did get the pee scared out of me when an octopus took a liking to my wrist arteries going beak first. Out came the knife. Manatee snuck up on me once in the Jupiter inlet. Jumped a little on that one..... Used to catch live dolphins for training. Pulled in the net one time and had a great white, just before the divers went in..... Now landlocked in Orlando, no fun at all.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:46 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
But Big-, you've got Mickey and his really big park right there in town.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Nov 06, 2009, 01:29 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Nov 2006
306 Posts
The jumping carp were stimulated by an electric current to make them jump, I seen the documentry.
As for eels, around here we have wolf eels. They're not agressive, unless you have food, and even then they're not moray eel agressive. You can hand tame wild ones in a matter of minutes. Most around here are tame, you can hold them and pet them and they don't really mind.

Here's a good vid

http://www.encyclomedia.com/video-wolf_eels.html
Ironman929 is offline Find More Posts by Ironman929
Old Nov 06, 2009, 05:01 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,630 Posts
That last photo reminds me of John McCain for some reason. I guess that means the first would have to be Sarah Palin.

Back to Rosen Fleet, they build mostly 1/200-350 scale with a few 1/72 & 1/100 models in the mix.
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill