Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2009, 05:40 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Discussion
Model Aero Aqua Cat New Product Launch!!!

Model Aero will debut our new kit, the Aqua Cat, at the 2009 JR Indoor Electric Festival! Following on the heels of the incredibly popular Polaris, the Aqua Cat once again raises the bar for flat foam design. Like the Polaris, this plane can take off and land from just about any surface, be it water, grass, or snow!

We've been working our tails off getting these kits ready for the JR and we'll be bringing down a limited number of this awesome new kit, so please stop by and check it out! We won't be putting it on the web site until after the JR.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:19 PM
United States, NY, Strykersville
Joined Feb 2007
165 Posts
Scott
Best of luck with the new plane. I will not be able to see you this weekend but I'm looking forward to getting the plane to go with my Polaris after the show.
chris butcher is offline Find More Posts by chris butcher
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:31 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butcher View Post
Scott
Best of luck with the new plane. I will not be able to see you this weekend but I'm looking forward to getting the plane to go with my Polaris after the show.
Thanks Chris, I will set one aside for you!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:23 PM
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Jun 2004
425 Posts
Looks like the love child of the Polaris and the Aero Cat! Looking sweet to me! Cant wait to see it tomorrow!
SilverHeli2000 is offline Find More Posts by SilverHeli2000
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:25 PM
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Jun 2004
425 Posts
Any different flight characteristics from the Polaris?
SilverHeli2000 is offline Find More Posts by SilverHeli2000
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:04 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHeli2000 View Post
Looks like the love child of the Polaris and the Aero Cat! Looking sweet to me! Cant wait to see it tomorrow!
Well I left a Polaris and an AeroCat alone one night and.........

It flies different than the Polaris. For one thing, it's larger in span and length, yet the wing area is about 10% less, so the wing loading is slightly higher. But it still flies very light and can fly extremely slow. Side by side it looks much larger than the Polaris. AUW is about the same.

The Polaris and the AeroCat are both excellent flying ships, and the Aqua Cat captures the best of both. It is rock solid in the air, and even the EDF version, which is 10 oz. heavier, flies great.

See you tomorrow.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Nov 06, 2009, 05:33 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
I went to JR and got the first Aqua Cat!!! That's right I've got the first 1 that was sold. I should get a cookie or something.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 06, 2009, 09:20 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I went to JR and got the first Aqua Cat!!! That's right I've got the first 1 that was sold. I should get a cookie or something.
Indeed you did get #1! The first production Aqua Cat is in your hands! I expect to see it built and flying tomorrow!!!

Thanks for you support.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Nov 07, 2009, 01:11 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,185 Posts
Sorry... Bucks and Penn State party at my house and you really don't want me building or flying or driving the rest of the weekend.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:58 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
253 Posts
Scott; when will print the Specs. for the Aqua-Cat?
rscott2888 is offline Find More Posts by rscott2888
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:42 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott2888 View Post
Scott; when will print the Specs. for the Aqua-Cat?
You can check it out here:

Aqua Cat Info

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:33 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
972 Posts
Built two of Laddie's Northstars since last Christmas and picked up a Polaris on the weekend. If the Polaris flies as good as it looks, expect this one will be my next amphibian.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Built two of Laddie's Northstars since last Christmas and picked up a Polaris on the weekend. If the Polaris flies as good as it looks, expect this one will be my next amphibian.
I promise you will like the way the Polaris flies. It is Northstar Lite!!! And the Aqua Cat is just as good, just flies a little different and is larger.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:38 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
253 Posts
Model Aero,you say it flys' a little different, how?
rscott2888 is offline Find More Posts by rscott2888
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott2888 View Post
Model Aero,you say it flys' a little different, how?
The Aqua Cat wingspan is 6" more than the Polaris, and it is 3" longer. Yet the wing area is about 8% less, so the wing loading is slightly higher. The plane is very stable and forgiving, and is very neutral. Inverted requires little to no correction. Here's what fellow RCG member and one of the first AQ customers Tony A. said about it compared to the Polaris:

"They are very similar. Both the Polaris and the Aqua Cat are super flying planes but I will say the the twin tails on the Aqua Cat really seem to stiffen the whole airframe and take all flex out of the nacelle area. Feels very solid in the air and on the ground. I flew two flights today with a 3s 2200mah 25c battery and two more with a 3s 1300mah 30c battery and it handles either very well. Of course, vertical performance and speed is better with the lighter battery but the extra weight of the bigger battery helps it fight the wind a little better. Landings could not possibly be any easier. The Aqua Cat will slow to a crawl with with either battery and (short of a prop hang) it will do what ever you ask of it. Flies as well inverted as it does right side up and with the C of G at the step it requires very little elevator input (almost none) to maintain level inverted flight. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it was my superb building skills (Pfff ) but I did not need to touch the trims on the maiden. All surfaces were straight and level and all trims centered and it was dead on the money. This is a real keeper".

That's as good a description as I could give!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com