Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper View Post
Great shots K. Thanks!

That long stich is impressive. PTGui?

The automatic landing is impressive. What did you use for altitude on the final?

Tom
PTGUI for the stitch, and lots of luck plus manual reference points among a few of 120 photos.

Automatic landing uses barometric altitude hold, which is 0.5...2m off after a long flight (45min).
kbosak is offline Find More Posts by kbosak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:10 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
i have order the easyuav also.... and i hve a ixus 80 with chdk.

it is possible to connect the trigger output dierect to the usb from ixus 80 wich make a foto if get 5V into usb... ??

@brakar

have you fotos from your cam-mount ? i have no idear where i can install the cam.

rg olli
fuzna is offline Find More Posts by fuzna
Old Jan 07, 2010, 03:58 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
420 Posts
Yes, the trigger output from the ap can be connected directly to the cameras usb. I have ripped an old usb-cable, and fitted the red and black wires directly to the red and black wires on a standard servo-cable. (The rest of the wires can be cutted away). Next step would be to set up the correct parameters in the autopilot, in order to have it to output linear 5V current (instead of standard servo signals).
Then run a mission in simulation mode in the autopilot, in order to measure +5V current on the wires when trigger is fired.
And in the end connect camera, start chdk-script, and check that it fires when it it supposed to.

The chdk scripts I have been running are remote.bas, for the procedure as described, and ult_interv.bas - for fixed time-interval fiering. (Had to rename the files to *.txt for upload).

As for my camera-mount, I am not very proud of it. I simply cut a conical hole in the bottom of the fuselage, and straps the camera on top when I want to do photo-missions. I also use to tape a sheet of insulation-foam over the camera, for protection. What I ment to do was actually to glue a filter-glass (preferably made of plastic) to the inside bottom of the fuselage - for protection that way. Didn't got that far yet. As things are, I tape the conical cut-out from the fuselage back on when I do not do photo-shooting.

For this setup, it is important to select a relatively short lipo, or it might cover the hole/ conflict with camera.

See picktures below for illustration. Not very sophisticated, but it works amazingly well.

Good luck with your EasyUAV. I hope it will serve you as well as mine have served me.

brakar

PS: I know Krzysztof isn't very fond of how I have violated the EasyUAV. I think he fitts the camera differently.
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:30 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
the nice easystar.....

but it is aerodynamic clean

im learning the manual this time.i can activate the triger 1 and 2.can i set the time wich triggers active ? or close the triggers when the plane leave the WP-radius ?

olli
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:00 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
420 Posts
olli, I think you have understood correct. As an example, here are my trigger settings;

@@@TRIGGER1_SERVOPOS_ACTIVE=1 // 5.0V
@@@TRIGGER1_SERVOPOS_INACTIVE=0 // 0V
@@@TRIGGER1_SERVOPOS_DISABLED=0 // 0V
@@@TRIGGER1_ATD_REACTIVATE_DIST=0.05 // activate trigger each 0.05km
@@@TRIGGER1_ACTIVE_TIMEOUT=1.2 // trigger stays active for 1.2s
@@@TRIGGER1_TRACE_DELAY=1 // log trigger event 1s after trigger is activated

Trigger 2 is in this case left unused but could potentially be used in conjongture with trigger 1 (e.g. hatch in front of camera), or independently.

Trigger events are normaly started or stopped at waypoins.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 02:32 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
ah thanks.this help me .and all settings are saved in eprom ? also the other settings...

i mean, i must config only for one time the triggers or for every mission with config txt-file ?

oh, i must read many many pdfs before i can plan my own mission i think..

olli
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:43 PM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzna View Post
the nice easystar.....

but it is aerodynamic clean
One of the most important issues is balancing the plane visually, for example by adding orange elements on BOTH sides of the fuselage.
RC Pelican Focus has uncomfortably narrow fuselage, but looks sleek.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:52 PM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
ah thanks.this help me .and all settings are saved in eprom ? also the other settings...

i mean, i must config only for one time the triggers or for every mission with config txt-file ?

oh, i must read many many pdfs before i can plan my own mission i think..

olli
You connect using HyperTerm via USB and type the setup commands, or just copy-paste the text that brakar has published.
The name of the variable is recognized and the autopilot prints its value confirming it is being saved.
It is generally safe to type nonsense commands, you can do it in real time.
There are a few interactive commands starting actions like @@@SIMENABLE or @@@RESET .
All is described in software manual.
Normally you integrate the camera by choosing which kind or repetitive shooting it likes, 'once per lifetime'.
Then you only program waypoints defining them as relative to takeoff point, an maybe a landing pattern using fixed coordinates on a local field.
Once your 'navigational trials' are over (what is never done because it's fun), you can leave waypoints forever and visit many fields you like with only UAV, RC and battery. You take the laptop if you want to download logs from time to time (normal log capacity is around 1000 photo positions and around 53 minutes of high frequency verbose black box data - this is enough for 2-3 flights over fields 250x250m plus 'operational margin').
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:50 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
ok, chris...

you have 2 battery on it ? both paralell ?

i will wait for the paket and learning by doing.othewiese i make a monster post here
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:21 AM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
you have 2 battery on it ? both parallel ?
Yes, but the balancer connector must be interconnected AFTER connecting similarly charged + and - connectors thus obtaining 3S2P.
This add more current output and 5% higher throttle sometimes, but mainly adds endurance when you need it (mine can be used separately as well).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:31 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
@brakar

the IXUS 80 shutt off after 3 minutes into standby mode.also with CHDHK.

if you will take a foto after this 3 minutes with the trigger, the cam will making nothing..... i think ??

olli
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:51 AM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
420 Posts
olli, I don't know the IXUS 80. On my camera the auto shut-off time is set in the menu, under "Energy saving" or something, (norwegian menu on my camera). You can turn it off or set it to what you like.

Btw, it is usually a good idea to turn off the screen - after some time, in ordert to save battery.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Looks like brakar has published the flight video of T3-4 contest:
T3-4 Photocontest using EasyUAV (1 min 2 sec)

It shows typical navigation dynamics flying repetitive pattern.
T3 contest was originally Trusted Time Trial but now the mission 4 is photomapping of 0.5x0.5km area.

The camera is amateur grade FlycamOne v2, 4m/s winds, temperature -15C.
Flight altitude around 120m above terrain.
I think the camera is mounted rotated a few degrees to the right.
Last edited by kbosak; Jan 17, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:36 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
- have the flexipilot a command for loiter over WP ? scenario: fly to WP 1 and loiter 3 times then come home.... or i must set two WPs each other wich the same lat/lon ?

- i looking also for telemetry.have you testet with the XBEE 868 PRO ? i have read in any forum, that its possible to kick the 10% duty cycle with the reset the tx all 5-10 minutes (aprox) .its possible to use the trigger 2 for this ??

in 2,4 GHZ band working my video TX.i cant use the 2,4ghz xbee

olli
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
Quote:
- have the flexipilot a command for loiter over WP ? scenario: fly to WP 1 and loiter 3 times then come home.... or i must set two WPs each other wich the same lat/lon ?
olli
FLEXIPILOT has no loiter command at the moment because of priorities I have set on it, for 2 reasons:
1. Minimal interface. You can make any loop out of available waypoints.
2. Loitering is important in 2 scenarios:
-wait in place before hitting the target (terrorists, not supported yet)
-aerial video, however good quality video requires stabilisation mount, solid thing with 2 strong servos, in general out of EasyUAV payload range, plus incredibly fine tuning that might take time completely unacceptable for EasyUAV assembly.

Flexipilot is loitering overhead after returning from a mission, but this action is based on minimal turn radius in order to 'turn as tight as it gets' overhead, not building perfectly stable circle, rather an oval elongated by the wind.
Photos taken during such action woule be excessively distorted (high bank angle).
Another way to make plane loiter (not in place, however) is to set 2 waypoint one above another, each configured as requiring to be satisfied by altitude, and eventually loop over them.

FLEXIPILOT has looping.
in fact you define (according to navigation manual) a set of relative coordinates, f.ex north 150m, east 50m south 80m, then define WAYPOINT_CYCLES 10 and obtain a pattern covering the area.
FLEXIPILOT is optimized for aerial photography because most amateur-sized planes perform poorly doing video missions (small=sensitive to turbulence, no matter actual geometry as the typical turbulence zone is larger than the aircraft). On the other hand, decent photography nearing the quality of PRO platforms is possible. In aerial photo, however, you are not waiting for something to happen, just fly as precisely as possible, hoping to get the photos that are easiest to process.
Future firmware updates are possible, but the accent is put on making one functionality rock-solid in all geo-locations: photography, be it sideway, ortophoto or other.

Quote:
- i looking also for telemetry.have you testet with the XBEE 868 PRO ? i have read in any forum, that its possible to kick the 10% duty cycle with the reset the tx all 5-10 minutes (aprox) .its possible to use the trigger 2 for this ??

in 2,4 GHZ band working my video TX.i cant use the 2,4ghz xbee
The 2nd trigger is able to send either servo signal or TTL signal (0-5V).
Therefore if the xbee module accepts 5V on reset line (most probably so, not sure) you can switch it off/on using spare trigger logic (trigger can be active high or low).
available 2,4GHz modems have short range, typically around 1km in clear line of sight.
866MHz can drive several km (officially 20km), yet at comfortably high altitude (200m or 100m over fields).
I have never tried to push 10% more from something like dipole antenna, as the altitude above ground and bank angle is the main range-limiting factor.