Equal or slightly more Weight, Great Performance 110 39.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 04, 2009, 06:32 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Blade MSR Brushless Upgrades

Guys, I thought about starting a thread just for Brushless Upgrades to the E-Flite Blade MSR.

The reason is I didnt want to do this in the main thread was to keep this type of chat away from any of the Newbies attempting to dramatically modify this already perfect little Heli.

This is just for us Hard Core Tinkerers that simply love the challenge.

I am sure as we go along we will find many way to better the brushless setup
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Last edited by EatAtJoes; Nov 04, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2009, 06:33 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
My First Setup

Parts List

$15.99 AP03 7500KV 3.1g Motor
$11.40 Turnigy TGY DP3A 1g ESC
$14.00 TheSteve Main Motor Converter
$ 4.50 Walkera Tail Motor (the pinion is what you need of the HM-4#3-Z-26)
Plus a little postage and some discount from HK depending on your member level

Some 10min JB Weld (To secure the mount to the frame)
Some plastic square tube (for the engine mount)
A little enamel wire
and regular tools

And the above will get you a brushless setup that produces at least 15 - 20 grams more thrust than the stock motor of the MSR

If you watch how you do things you may even come in at around the same weight as the stock MSR perhaps even lighter

Elias

VIDEO BEING EDITED
Last edited by EatAtJoes; Nov 04, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:19 AM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,837 Posts
I'm considering which heli to buy for my first single rotor. Would it not make more sense to get say a CB100, verses trying to mod a mSR to brushless? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I'm considering which heli to buy for my first single rotor. Would it not make more sense to get say a CB100, verses trying to mod a mSR to brushless? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Jim
Jim

The CB100 is already brushless, but that heli is a handful to fly in comparison to the MSR. Crashes will cost you, I think someone did a sum and worked out the cost was 10x the cost of his MSR for the same amount of fights.

If you can fly heli's and simply want a brushless heli without the hassle of upgrading then go with the CB100, but you need to use Walkera Radios and electrics which always have short falls.

But if you want one that is Spektrum based and one to learn on (that wont cost much in repairs) then go the MSR.

One thing to remember the CB100 will act a little more like a larger heli than the MSR.

Elias
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:35 AM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
I would love to see a brushless msr. The only thing that is stopping me from getting a msr is that it is not brushless.
altronpower is offline Find More Posts by altronpower
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:44 AM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post

Jim
I have a cb100. It is pretty stable for a sub micro sized fp helicopter but its stability is nowhere near the msr (based on videos I've seen. I don't have a msr)

I still can't get the cb100 to hover hands free. Had a couple of crashes and the rubber O-rings on the feathering shaft kind of got crushed by the e-clips. It still flies well but starts having random movements now. The cb100 is pretty durable other than the 0-rings.
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by altronpower View Post
I would love to see a brushless msr. The only thing that is stopping me from getting a msr is that it is not brushless.
I am uploading video to youtube now

Check back in around 1 hour and you will see it in action.

The thrust is unreal, I flew it outside and boy she is wild, power to weight ratio is excellent.

25g heli with almost 60g thrust

Stock MSR struggles to lift 6 grams, my brushless MSR can lift an entire 2nd MSR under it.
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:48 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by altronpower View Post
I have a cb100. It is pretty stable for a sub micro sized fp helicopter but its stability is nowhere near the msr (based on videos I've seen. I don't have a msr)

I still can't get the cb100 to hover hands free. Had a couple of crashes and the rubber O-rings on the feathering shaft kind of got crushed by the e-clips. It still flies well but starts having random movements now. The cb100 is pretty durable other than the 0-rings.
Yep and parts on both helis are single digit dollar amounts, so it's cheap, heck my gyro alone for my 450 heli cost me more than the entire MSR setup....
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes View Post
I am uploading video to youtube now

Check back in around 1 hour and you will see it in action.

The thrust is unreal, I flew it outside and boy she is wild, power to weight ratio is excellent.

25g heli with almost 60g thrust

Stock MSR struggles to lift 6 grams, my brushless MSR can lift an entire 2nd MSR under it.
Can't wait to see it. 25g with 60g THRUST!!!! That's like a rocket.
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Some Pictures

Here are some pictures of my Brushless Setup
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:45 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes View Post
Jim

The CB100 is already brushless, but that heli is a handful to fly in comparison to the MSR. Crashes will cost you, I think someone did a sum and worked out the cost was 10x the cost of his MSR for the same amount of fights.

If you can fly heli's and simply want a brushless heli without the hassle of upgrading then go with the CB100, but you need to use Walkera Radios and electrics which always have short falls.

But if you want one that is Spektrum based and one to learn on (that wont cost much in repairs) then go the MSR.

One thing to remember the CB100 will act a little more like a larger heli than the MSR.

Elias
I have both and if you do the fixes on the mSR list before you fly it you will have a good but flighty heli for tearing around the house and outside on more or less calm days.. The CB100 is a better more hobby like heli and flies more like a real one would.. So really depends on your skill level, what you are looking to be able to fly scale like tearing around.. They are about the same price and the CB I think gives you more for your money. And I think flies more to my way of wanting a heli to fly. Both really need a upgrade in the TX the mSR you can go with a DX6i or 7 and with the CB you really need to get the 2801pro I just ordered a CB100 and 2801Pro for my son for his birthday for about $270.00 A BNF mSR is $150 and a DX6i is $150 so $300 for both.. The batteries on the CB100 last about 8-9 minutes for the stock 500mAh and you can get the new 600mAh 20c for $7.50 and this one gives me 10-11 minutes of flight time. The 150mAh battery for the mSR costs 14 bucks and lasts 6-7 minutes but you do get a 4 cell charger with the mSR and only a 1 cell with the CB. With the mSR if your flying and get to LVC it just about falls out of the sky and sometimes will thresh around on the ground.. The CB lets you know will in advance that it's getting low and you have time to fly back to yourself and set up for a scale like landing.. All the above is just from my personal experiences...Bob

PS I'm still flying both of these because they are really two different flying experiences. And I often just take turns with them.. And the 4#3... And even throw some flights in with the S300 and CX2 as all are fun and different..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:05 AM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,837 Posts
Thanks for all the help! I guess I need to go with the mSR. I have 2 mCX heli's, and a CX2 now. Makes sense to stick with Eflite I suppose, since I have 8 batt's for the mCX already. Will they work in the mSR?

And now I will leave this thread to it's intended purpose! Sorry if I hijacked..wasn't intentional.

Thanks again fellows,

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:13 AM
I NEED MORE FOAM...LOTS MORE
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Mar 2009
584 Posts
subscribed
sNstRflyEr4G3 is offline Find More Posts by sNstRflyEr4G3
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:19 AM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
It has been more than an hour already. The video?
Old Nov 04, 2009, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Man, don't let that keep you from buying one. These coreless motors used in the mSR are powerful and durable, very much unlike brushed Walkera motors which have led many - including me - to believe that everything brushed sucks and dies after 20 or so flights.

You will get many, MANY happy hours out of your mSR and it can sustain endless crashes before breaking anything!

Back on topic: this is awesome, it will be interesting to see how this develops. Like I said, a 100% happy with the stock setup but since I love brushless conversions like this one I just might get a second mSR for christmas and convert the first one by the time the stock motors wear out ;-)
Chris Burton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Burton