Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by fairplane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:36 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
681 Posts
Discussion
An addiction story

Never having blogged before I thought I would post something for those who have inquiring minds! I'm not sure when my addiction started as I started building and flying when I was about 8 years old- progressing from plastic static models to HO scale trains and on to hand control flight with the ever popular cox .049. I found balsa to be a good medium as you could crash , reglue with 5 min epoxy and fly again. It was a challenge to find ways to take off by yourself- when there was no-one to hand launch for you. Radio control was a distant dream as startup in the hobby in the 70's was like $1000 bucks and as a result I never did try any further. Until one day my wife and I bought a house right across from the hobby store. I was 35 years old. I managed NOT to get sucked into the store until I was 43- and this was just a fluke. The hobby store owner was having a garage sale and there was a lanier seabird-flying boat, complete with AM Kraft radio system for $80. I looked at it and decided I didn't have the time so I forgot about it for the rest of the day until we went for drinks that night at our local pub. I told my wife about what I had found and she said "why didn't you buy it? Are you going to miss $80?" So as it was only around 6pm on a Fri eve and was within walking distance I decided I would go and see if it was still there> It was! And now the tail was broke so I offered the owner $60- which he accepted and the rest is history-I have been addicted ever since. more to come later
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
to remove ads between posts