HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Took her out for 3 more flights this afternoon. Pics with my powerline hobbies Camel.

Cheers
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
497 Posts
brent, that looks awesome! i am planning to weather my recently completed aerodrome rc bristol scout. when you use the hair dryer is it to move the paint or to dry it quickly? thanks.
nytjadens is offline Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,500 Posts
Those are great photos Brent. The Nieuport looks really nice!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Thanks guys.

nytjadens, the dryer is to evaporate the water from the thin black wash as you bush back and forth.
It actually will not dry very fast at all. It takes time before it's really waterless enough to start to stick. But don't get too close or on high, with the dryer, as you will blow the thin wash right off the model.

I do a side at a time face up as otherwise the paint will roll off. don't know how it will work on an assembled model. You may need to cradle the model so any side can be face up. Could be tricky though.

You know it is time to stop, or near stop brushing, when the paint stops flowing around on it's own.

The wash will be kind of bubbly with large bubbles at the start and they reduce as it dries, and with the last few brush strokes it will become nice streaks in the direction you are working.

I tried a light coat of dullcote 1st on the N-11 to give some tooth for the wash to stick and dry quicker, but it was a mistake.
Because if you do the wash direct on the (cleaned) covering you can easily rub off the water base paint if you make a mistake.

On the N-11 I tried a thicker wash over the dullcote base and got to heavy in the centre white of the fuse. I couldn't wipe it off and barely saved it with the decal there and all.

To sum up the weathering:

A thin black wash (as per the other thread link)
Weathering powders for soft (air brush like) grim, rust, wing ribs etc. (found at model train shops)
And dulling and seal of the water base wash and weathering powders with dullcote (flat clear)

On the flat clear subject, on another thread a guy mentioned he was getting large cans at, maybe it was home depot, for less then 5 bucks I think.
I haven't looked too hard but need to find it up in Canada as I have been buying testors Dullcote at the LHS for near $7 a can. It took 4.5 cans to do my albatros.... ouch to the wallet.

let me know if anybody has a line on those big spray cans.

Cheers
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
95 Posts
Id love to see them come out with an Albatross DII next.

Definately not out of the realm of possibility.
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
Last edited by Max Powers; Apr 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
How 'bout a Zepplin with a single outrunner shafted at both ends to turn each sides pusher puller............
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:03 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
497 Posts
thanks brent, im going to give it a shot. the zepplin would be crazy!

ST
nytjadens is offline Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:46 PM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
422 Posts
Let me tell you that MY recent experience with the Great Planes ElectriFly Nieuport XI ARF was anything but good! I just received the plane from Tower Hobbies early last week (end of August), and was excited to open the box to see the beautiful plane this author raved about. Well it was anything but beautiful! I have not seen such a hideously covered ARF plane in the last 10 years! What we received looked NOTHING like the tight covering job on the obviously hand selected (and probably free) model in this review!

What we received had more wrinkles EVERYWHERE on the Fuse and Wings than a new born Chinese Shar-Pei! (that's a dog) Appropriate, since this POS model is made in China and it could have barked! I have been building flying models since the late 50's (I'm 64) and I know a thing or two about doing covering and taking wrinkles out, it would be impossible to get THESE wrinkles out. The Wrinkles were particularly horrible in the Ailerons (both sides) and sides and bottoms of the Fuselage. The model was plane UGLY! I called Tower Hobbies and complained and sent it back. It remains to be seen what condition the replacement is in as far as the coverings go. I'm not holding my breath. BEWARE and Inspect, don't accept a crap covering job from the sweatshops of China!
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:44 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
894 Posts
Too bad

Last week I received a GP Fokker DVII shipped from USA to Norway bought on e-bay....not a single wrinkle. Everything was perfect, no need to use either iron nor heat gun....

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,031 Posts
Same here, I bought a Fokker DR1 and not a single wrinkle.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,135 Posts
Just picked up the Nieuport - we'll have to dogfight. ;D
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
422 Posts
I had the D-VII from +18 months earlier, and yes it was far better, I am talking about the Nieuport only. There is a possibility that Great Planes used a different contract manufacturer for different models in the series. The economy is tough now, this is a new addition to the series, maybe that went with a cheaper builder.

While we all know, Great Planes makes nothing ... everything is made in Chinese factories (this case looks like some garage in China), it is Great Planes job to inspect what they have made for them BEFORE shipping it to customers. 2 extremely wrinkled ones in a row? That isn't coincidence.

I won't be buying any more Great Planes WWI planes from this ElectriFly series.
Last edited by makeitworst; Oct 28, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:34 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post

I won't be buying any more Great Planes WWI planes from this ElectriFly series.
I bought the D.VII when it first came out. Sent it back due to covering so loose it couldn't be tightened up. The replacement was much better; still flying it. I bought the SPAD this spring and it had issues in the fuse construction. Tower replaced the fuse, no questions asked. The gal I dealt with said they'd replaced several fuses. I guess GP/Tower sell too many ARFs for them to be able to inspect each one before they ship them. But in over 30 years of dealing with them they've always made things right.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
422 Posts
The problems are at the root - Manufacturing QC

Here is the root of the problems with these shoddily manufactured planes - there is NO QC at the Chinese sweatshop factories by anyone. It is (not so) Great Planes RESPONSIBILITY to ensure QC at any factory contractor they use to make planes they have the nerve to put their name on and sell to us! Nothing should get past the "line" and into a box to ship, if it looks like the crap that we are getting from Great Planes. Period!

Great Planes is obviously not doing this, at least with this line of planes. SHAME on Great Planes! You have lost at least my future business.

I have products made in Taiwan and Japan, I go there three times a year to inspect the facilities that I hire to make the products and I meet with the QC staffs there, they are responsible to ME and any slips means they lose my business; though there is little concern in either Japan or Taiwan over QC, as both of these cultures are proud of their manufacturing (Taiwan learned from Japan in the 60's thru 80's when companies like Sony, Mitsubishi, etc stated moving plants to Taiwan for the cheaper labor and costs). When asked if I would consider China Mfr contractors, I always say Hell NO! For obvious reasons! Among other reasons, there is no pride in quality or doing things the right way in China. The over-all attitude is "put in the time, pick up the pay check", that's all. (Not to get political here, but it's the same attitude with Unions in the US over the last 50 years too)

There are exceptions of course, HP for example has factories there for making printers and computers, BUT they have their own engineers and QC people there at the Chinese factories full time on the line and Chinese workers are fired if they are slackers.
Last edited by makeitworst; Nov 08, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:37 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,089 Posts
Qc

Makeitworst,

Not all Chinese-made model products are the pits. 3DHS's planes are made in China and they're excellent. 3D had some QC issues at first but they wouldn't accept the products until they were corrected. I have a SV-26 gasser, bought from Hong Kong, that runs fine. I would agree that the onus is on GP as to the quality of their models.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38