HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:24 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
para as to the performance with the new sails and rigging, did you make the foot of the sail more curved backwards? I see this on my Brig now, i bent the wire in the foot so as to give a nice shape to the sail but curved it a bit too far backwards and the sail starts going aback much earlier than before... it was just a few milimeters of change but i had a hard time tacking until i bent it back... so maybe you can use th$e new sails and rigging when you bend the spreaders so that the clew is a bit more forward giving a straighter leach ?

would be a waste to see those nice courses only on display and not on the water
G'day Meatbomber

The only sail I am struggling with right now is the maincourse sail. The forecourse is working perfectly just as Dan's on his brig. I have tried a number of possible corrective installations but I have reinstalled the original kit designed sail because the clews would just not bring the foot around. The heavier wire in the original sail is working perfectly and I secured my new sheets to the clew for appearance and that too is working perfectly. The problem was in the running through of the tacks when I was trying to tack to another course. The tacks were hanging up. When I removed them I had no more problems.

As I said the forecourse sheets and tacks are working perfectly with the new sail--it must have something to do with the way that foresail takes wind.

When the ship is out on the water it is difficult to tell that the course sails differ in detail so I would rather be able beat to windward than to look good. Dan's rig can do both and maybe when we get together again he can advise me if he sees something I could make better. RG
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Sailing 17 April 2010

The winds were a bit blustry yesterday but sailing was still great fun.

As I was setting up Surprise at the lake I discovered that I had left the main topsail on the work bench at home. That is why the main mast looks strange in these photos.

This ship still managed to sail VERY fast with the fore and main course sails as well as the mizzen top and spanker. I had a lot of trouble with tacking though, just not enough to pull the bows through the wind line so all the turns had to be done by wearing.

From now on all the sails that are not rigged are going to be stowed in the Toy Hauler so this does not happen again.

I hope to post a video later today.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Forgetting a sail is better than forgetting the keel rods.......Been there, done that.
Looks like you had a good day, anyway.
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:01 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Shipmates: I have made a new video of yesterday's sailing but I will have to wait to get to a high speed connection to upload it. It is almost 900mb but there are some great shots in it from the deck.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:10 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,354 Posts
Very good looking despite the main tops'l yard sent down on deck... you can always say its still being worked on after the last engagement

i had a lot of strong wind sailing in my brig lately and i'm wondering if you might not have a bit too much headsails up for easy taking. i struck all but teh jib today and had no problem tacking in near knockdown strength winds. with the outer jib still set she wouldn't come close enough to the wind before loosing so much momentum as to make a sucessful tack possible.

I have to try and sail under courses only too tho, so far i always took in the courses and sailed under tops'ls when the wind picked up... considering they are nearly same size as my courses it might be much smarter to leave the courses instead..
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Shipmates--I finally got the video uploaded. Here's the link

Seeking Syren to take as a prize.mpg (3 min 54 sec)
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,403 Posts
Wow!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
Very good looking despite the main tops'l yard sent down on deck... you can always say its still being worked on after the last engagement

i had a lot of strong wind sailing in my brig lately and i'm wondering if you might not have a bit too much headsails up for easy taking. i struck all but teh jib today and had no problem tacking in near knockdown strength winds. with the outer jib still set she wouldn't come close enough to the wind before loosing so much momentum as to make a sucessful tack possible.

I have to try and sail under courses only too tho, so far i always took in the courses and sailed under tops'ls when the wind picked up... considering they are nearly same size as my courses it might be much smarter to leave the courses instead..
I had not thought of striking the jibs but now that you mention it I very well might need to reduce sail on the fore. I have all three head sails rigged so they can be taken in so I will try that next high wind day.

I rarely strike the maincourse and never the forecourse. Both are rigged easy but the forecourse seems to always be needed. I have read recently that the course sails would not be set when leaving a port because it was easier to maneuver with the top sails set, but since the only sailors on board are not willing to obey my commands from the bass baby I have to get along side to do any work aloft.

I am still learning a lot about sailing these ships. Every time we go to the lake it is something new and different, from hanging up rigging to forgetting important sails on the work bench, but this is so enjoyable and this is what Second Hand Lions should be doing. RG
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:58 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,661 Posts
It Nearly Knocked the Stuffin, from the Good Ship Ragamuffin!

Quote:
...then from the tug we parted,
and all our voyage started
with the compass headed East, Nor'west, by South.
The tops'ls are the main engines of a square rigger. Besides usually being the largest sails, they were of the heaviest canvas. In a seaway, the were up in the wind when the courses would be in the trough between waves, providing a steady thrust whereas the courses would be alternately becalmed and filled which fatigues the sails, the ship, and the crew.

You may find when the water's a bit rough and Surprise is bounding along up and down those motor-boat wakes, that the courses loose wind in the troughs. That can have the center-of-effort moving about as you sail making her require more attention to steering.

It's not just about getting the center-of-effort (the point where the wind's force is focused against the rig) lower, but making sure it's in tune with the balance point of the hull in the water (center of lateral plane) - if not, the helmsmen will be whipping the wheel back and forth - which means one missed step and it's a disaster.

Quote:
The ship was caught a-back,
and the stays began to crack!
and the fourth t'gallant fores'l carried away
So we threw the helm over,
and headed straight for Dover,
and at last we anchored safe within the bay.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
The tops'ls are the main engines of a square rigger. Besides usually being the largest sails, they were of the heaviest canvas. In a seaway, the were up in the wind when the courses would be in the trough between waves, providing a steady thrust whereas the courses would be alternately becalmed and filled which fatigues the sails, the ship, and the crew.

You may find when the water's a bit rough and Surprise is bounding along up and down those motor-boat wakes, that the courses loose wind in the troughs. That can have the center-of-effort moving about as you sail making her require more attention to steering.

It's not just about getting the center-of-effort (the point where the wind's force is focused against the rig) lower, but making sure it's in tune with the balance point of the hull in the water (center of lateral plane) - if not, the helmsmen will be whipping the wheel back and forth - which means one missed step and it's a disaster.
Jerry--I understand what you are telling me here. It will take some time for me to learn some of this as my only experience on real vessels is on in line boats. The Ketch and Schooner rigs were easiest to stay on the wind line but I did all right with smaller vessels as well.

I will continue to train and practice so I won't be taken by the hip by Syren and her elusive captain.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
We went to the lake today--it was perfect. 6-8 mph wind and 70 degrees. I found some weak points in my course sail rigging again today and the forecourse sail caught in the best bower several times until the force of the foot of the sail broke off the jewelry clip I was using to secure it to the bottom of the sail. The main course is fine as there are no items sticking out from the hull to catch on the lines.

I am now back to my old rig with the original course sails and the heavy wire sewn in. The new sails looked great but obviously I sail in too rough of conditions for my rigging.

Adapt--improvise--overcome.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Apr 27, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 03, 2010, 08:01 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Sailing 03 May

After almost 9 inches of rain over a 48 hour period, we finally had a clear and perfect day. We have never seen Cedar Creek Lake as high as it was today, the out flow box was covered with water and in order to do that the lake had to be 6' higher than normal.

It was a perfect day though, winds about 8-10 at times and early in the afternoon it was under 6 so I had the royals set. Later as the winds picked up I had to strike the main course, the top gallants, and the royals but the ship still performed beautifully and tacking was certainly not a problem for me today with the old forecourse sail rigging.

The photos are the same old thing.
Old May 03, 2010, 11:00 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,661 Posts
04 is a real nice shot - she looks like she means business. I like 03 with the boat in the background too.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old May 04, 2010, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Ray, thanks for the "same ol' thing" photos! They never get tiresome. You are really catching some super shots - these had some great water patterns. Glad to hear you were not involved in any of the overzealous rain storms like in Nashville.

I have only had the Pictou on the water once so far. Tried out the new fore squaresail. Didn't work very well, ended up with a bent truss rod and blown power fuses. I guess I really am not up on how the sail works, because it really did nothing to enhance sailing ability. In fact, it caused alot of resistance and stalling when trying to go about. So for now, the sail has been furled for the time being.....
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old May 04, 2010, 02:44 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,354 Posts
I fully agree !! it shows that some of us are getting out there sailing ! and these are such wonderful models they should spend as much time on the water as possible ! So thanks for letting us have a glimps at your fun
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber