HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:37 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Super cool stuff... Got any shots of the interior?

What does the kit look like? Their website is really sparse on pictures of stuff...

Oh and im guessing there is an external ballast setup that goes under the keel...?
Silent Hunter: There are many photos of the build and interior shots in this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...20465&page=170

You just have to look around some.

The ship as a 40# ballast keel that bolts to the bottom and two more weights within the hull so my ship is 110 pounds sailing weight. Lots of photos of all this stuff in previous posts in the above noted thread. RG
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:09 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Ships Log 07 March 1810

Shipmates: We did get to the lake today. It was a balmy 62 degrees with winds very light (Pathetic is a little better term) but I did get a few tacks in and the ship is sailing very nicely with the new sheets and tacks on the forecourse sail. I abandoned the tacks on the maincourse and things are much better. I took a few videos but I don't have time to put something together right now.

We did have an 'incident' however. When recovering the ship I managed to get the mizzen back stays tangled with the motor on the bass baby and broke the top mast. It took me a little more than 4 hours to replace it, but finding a new mast in the rain forest took longer--does anyone know how hard it is to find a rain forest these days?

Anyway here are a few photos.

09 March added video to You Tube

Moving to the Land Down Under.mpg (2 min 28 sec)
Last edited by Paratrooper; Mar 09, 2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add Video
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Quote from photo: "Sailing can be a whole lot of fun here in the sunny south".

Well, Pfththhhhhhhhhut!! You just wait until global warming happens and Kentucky turns into a hot, fetid, mosquito ridden swamp, and Minnesota turns into a paradise!!!

Thanks for the great photos and video, Ray!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:25 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
Well, Pfththhhhhhhhhut!!
So that's how that's spelled!
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
That was my best guess - How do you spell a raspberry??
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:45 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
63 Posts
Great Video! Well done!
RevWarBrig is offline Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
Quote from photo: "Sailing can be a whole lot of fun here in the sunny south".

Well, Pfththhhhhhhhhut!! You just wait until global warming happens and Kentucky turns into a hot, fetid, mosquito ridden swamp, and Minnesota turns into a paradise!!!

Thanks for the great photos and video, Ray!
If my memory is intact--I seem to recall that Mannysnowda has several forms of blood suckers now--mosquitos in the spring, summer, and early fall, and liberalism running amuck the whole year--however if the hoax changes direction and indeed it gets warmer here, we may be forced to move back nort some.

BTW--don't get any of that Pfhthhhhhhhhhut on ya. I have it on good authority that it is not well received in parts of your state.

As soon as the guns are operational we are heading north and after we deal with the colonialists we will deal with the frogs.

Thanks Don for your comments--I am smiling as I write this. I cannot wait for another fleet sail and this time with camera running on board.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:34 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
G'day Shipmates

We went sailing today to test the new rigging. Some previoulsy unknown aspects were exposed today. I found that my new rigging set up really looks great, but beating windward seemed more difficult and I had to stop a number of times to untangle rigging lines.

I then went back to the original main course sail and tried again with much different results. I am able to get more rotation with the original sail and that made it easier to sail windward. It does not look as nice but it is working better.

I now know what sails to put up for the gun fight. I will keep my new rigging in case we show the ship at some time in the future, but I will be using the older rigging for sailing.

Here's a few photos of the day on the water. BTW, it was 68 degrees, partly cloudy, winds SSW at 5-10 (Variable actually) but it seemed to me that everyone with a boat was on the lake today. Every parking place in the three level lot was occupied. Next time we will go during the week when things aren't so busy.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Mar 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Learning to spell--again!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:23 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
I have the guns on the port side rigging and they are being tested and adjusted. I hope to get to the lake on Friday for some testing on the water. I plan to make a video as well and if things work out I will have something posted over the weekend.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 07:22 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
1st test of guns

We managed to make it to the lake today to try the guns, but it turned out to be a bit frustrating.

We have never seen so many people at that lake. There were hundreds of cars and I suspect hundreds of fishing boats and they were going all over the place.

Winds were a bit strong at times and I had to strike sail canvas several times. I ended up with the main and forecourse, fore top sail, the jibs, and mizzen top with the driver sail for running with the wind. I certainly had no trouble tacking today after replacing my main course with the original course sail and wire--but I did attach the sheets to it and it looks great out on the water.

I finally managed to get to a quieter area to load the guns and once that was done I turned the power back on--immediately shooting myself in the leg with the #1 gun when it fired because the servo bounced. Ah yes, laughing at Dan shooting himself in the leg has paybacks.

I turned to run along the shore so we could video the guns and the camera grip thought the camera was turned on--but in fact it was on and when we thought we were shooting a great broadside, the camera was off. We have lots of footage showing sky, lake, and other interesting nothingness--maybe next trip.

Not all the guns fired when I attempted the broadside, and while we were shifting the ship from the launch cart to the cradle in the bass baby, another gun went off. I am not sure why. Another went off when we unloaded the ship at home and I shifted the ship to the rolling dry dock to take it in, and another I have no clue why emerged--fortunately no whinies were injured or abused during this learning curve adventure.

What did I learn today? Take the SAFETY out of the plug so the guns CANNOT fire unintentially and never--NEVER stand in front of the guns when you turn on the radios. Yes--I was instructed on all these potential hazards--but until you experience some of this the instruction is just a caution, the experience is the real education.

And now--just a few still photos of the 89 degree day with the ship under reduced sail. BTW, 89 degrees is a record for the 2nd day of April.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:26 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Ray,
Your ship always looks so beautiful on the water....

I have a new battle strategy: avoid engagement and wait for you to misfire more guns and sink your own ship...hah hah!!!

And hey, why read the gun instructions if you can learn by experience....

I can't wait to see you and Rene again.... this is all too much fun.... my keyboard is going to short out from the tears of laughter....

Cheers, my friend....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:12 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Dan

We are so looking forward to the gun fight next month. I should have sufficent experience by then to not shoot myself again.

Thank you for your kind comments. I really appreciate you mate.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:32 AM
Orlop Boy
San Antonio TX
Joined Apr 2010
1 Posts
New Member to the forums but a long time lover of square-rigged sailing ships.

Do you have a recommendation for a shi to start with? I am a relatively expereinced model builder but this will be my first RC ship. I want to have a lot of detail such as crew and the like on deck. Would it be better starting with a brig or the schooner? (I like the brig.)

Thanks. Loved the video. More Please.

Dale Himebaugh
San Antonio TX
Bronco_6 is offline Find More Posts by Bronco_6
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:05 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,355 Posts
para as to the performance with the new sails and rigging, did you make the foot of the sail more curved backwards? I see this on my Brig now, i bent the wire in the foot so as to give a nice shape to the sail but curved it a bit too far backwards and the sail starts going aback much earlier than before... it was just a few milimeters of change but i had a hard time tacking until i bent it back... so maybe you can use th$e new sails and rigging when you bend the spreaders so that the clew is a bit more forward giving a straighter leach ?

would be a waste to see those nice courses only on display and not on the water
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:17 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_6 View Post
New Member to the forums but a long time lover of square-rigged sailing ships.

Do you have a recommendation for a shi to start with? I am a relatively expereinced model builder but this will be my first RC ship. I want to have a lot of detail such as crew and the like on deck. Would it be better starting with a brig or the schooner? (I like the brig.)

Thanks. Loved the video. More Please.

Dale Himebaugh
San Antonio TX
G'day Dale--great to have you aboard.

This frigate was my first experience with anything that sails in the last 35 years so in reality it might be considered an only child. I did speak with Philip several times before ordering the kit, but in the end he was confident I could do this and it turns out I could and did. The real problems that surfaced later was unrelated to the kit--I discovered transporting to be more of a obstacle that got resolved with a different trailer then of course a new truck to pull it. All that aside, I have had no end of enjoyment out of this kit.

I have a mentor in DanL who has designed a whole bunch of interesting features with his Brig and I have incorporated many of his ideas in my build.

Dan could give you a lot of advice on building a brig and it is a very fine model. I have sailed with and against him in several fleet sails and we have had an absolute blast with these models. Another fine model is one that belongs to Don who rigged his brig as a schooner. Neither Dan or I can keep up with him in any direction he wants to sail that thing. It is incredible.

We have a few videos posted on YouTube and you might check out how each of them is sailing--there are more of my Surprise than the others but that is because I am out on the lake alone as we are 1,000 miles apart.

Fleet sail 17 September 09 (2 min 42 sec)
is one of the fleet sails

Action on Lake Minnewaska MN 19 September 09 (3 min 12 sec)
this one a little different

Let us know what you decide to do and post your build on a thread. Many are very interested in seeing other work in progress.

Again, welcome aboard.