HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
HMS Surprise

Hello Ray,

Permission to come aboard.

Great Forum Discussion going here. I have read about 9 pages so far and have many to go. Got a chance to see some of the best at sea videos going to date. I loved your honest reports about being the Captain of this great ship. Still have a smile from your report on handling her and having a few miss fires. I was wondering if the crew on that watch had started a mutiny and started taking big chances by firing at you all the way to the beach.

Gary here and I followed your link that you sent me to find that you have a very active thread with a good following. To say that you have set the bar high is an understatement. The advice and photo/video sharing along with creative editing not to mention that you do most of this while sailing and following in chase boat is very impressive.

Congratulations again on a job very well done.

I can only imagine what you might end up doing with the RR project if you ever get to posting that.

Thanks for all your support and good luck with the new adventure.

Looking forward to meeting you face to face.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Welcome aboard pond sailor. Thank you for the kind words.
Paratrooper is online now Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Had the really great opportunity to sail - and battle - with Ray over four annual "Fleet Sails" in Minnesota and Ohio.
He is THE sailing master and a great friend.
I'll definitely miss sailing with you, Ray.
And everyone here will miss your posts, pics and vids.
All the best with those 5 foot railcars.

Dan
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:46 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,561 Posts
Ray, you and the Mrs have done wonderful model railroading work - I've no doubt you'll both enjoy this aspect of the railroading hobby.

I'm sorry we are loosing you and Surprise, but maybe you can put together a smaller boat that doesn't require the logistics and effort Surprise did and let you keep your feet wet, as it were.

What ever the case, please do keep in touch

Jerry
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
823 Posts
god speed!! and also, thanks for your inspirations and help........vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
I hope there was a clause in the sail that the new owner had to post updates on here? Your Surprise was a great build and stumbling across the youtube videos of your and DanL's models while looking at RC planes is what got me started on this hobby a month or two ago... so anything I eventually build will, in a roundabout way, be because of your model.

I've enjoyed your posts and your model, thank you.
audigex is offline Find More Posts by audigex
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:31 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Audigrex--thank you for your kind remarks.

To all: I stumbled across a page on the LONG thread that the first mate told me I should repost so you all can remember what NOT to do.

Smile--it is a great day!

Date Line Eubank KY

Disaster struck HMS Surprise S.020 while at the Lee Kee ship yard during a refit operation, 5 dead and 1 severly wounded.

During a battery installation, Elf Dilly, a day laborer, managed to touch the wires across the battery poles shorting out the whole system.

It is reported that the ship did have the modern voltage protection of fuses rated for potential difficulties with the electronics but it was found to be insufficient for the disaster that struck yesterday as a result of Elf Dilly, a day laborer, doing something quite stupid.

Dead are the rudder operator, John Rudder Servo age unknown. Alfred Formast Servo a cousin to John and age unknown. Driver Servo related to John and Alfred by a second wife to both. Grimstead Main Servo, grand master of the lodge and somehow related to all of the above. Jim Jib Winch (A crossover related to a Canadian lumberjack but they have not seen one another for years).

All the Servo relations have been shipped to ServoCity for autopsies. Cause of death appears to be hidden at this time, however the bodies already smelled of ozone before taking them out of the hull. A Lee Kee Shipyard employee who desires to remain anonymous said off the record that it appears to be a really stupid thing that Elf Dilly did.

Elf did survive the 7,000 volt charge but he lost his arm due to the short circuit.

At this time it is unknown when Surprise might be ready for sea trials but it is for sure that replacement electronics will have to be reinstalled and programmed and very careful installation of new wiring.

Elf was heard saying "It was a good thing the short circuit occured while the battery was outside the hull, other wise the disaster could have been much worse with the ship and the ship yard consumed by fire" but what would he know? "Not much" responded another employee of Lee Kee Shipyard.

Other employees of the Lee Kee ship yard were not available for comment, but they did shake their heads and tried to keep from laughing, but the snerky look on their face gave them away.

Well, I guess I will take up mowing grass for awhile. Spring is here and that operation is a good distraction from disasters. RG
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,339 Posts
Ray this place is gonna go seriously empty without your sailing reports!
All the best with the railroading (my granpa and uncle scratchbuilt a scale 1:4 austrian narrow track steam engine including its rail cars so i do see there is a lot of fascination in that )
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Thanks meatbomber--I appreciate you writing. We have been railroading for many years and just going to a larger format is about all we are doing. I enjoyed the ship and I hope the new captain enjoys it as much as I did. I hope he posts his adventures here as well.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
823 Posts
will you be eventually building a working steam engine?.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
will you be eventually building a working steam engine?.....
I doubt it--beyond my financial means but I am building a model of an EMD F-7 diesel kit. It is powered with batteries and it will be sufficient for what we want to do. We kept the trailer so we can still haul the railroad stuff around to different tracks.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Ray,
If you build an electric powered "steamer", smoke and sound could be easily added.
I love F7's - a steamer would be cool too.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
866 Posts
Dan--I'm sticking with the F-7. A GP-9 was a possiblity but we ended up choosing the cab unit.

I wish the railroad thread was a nice and easy to use as this thread. Who ever designed this site has without doubt the best of all I have tried to use.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Just wanted to add my thanks to Ray for the wonderful inspiration he has been. The pictures and videos of your Surprise are really amazing.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
You have a link/place to your RR building stuff you're starting on? Trains are cool too

This is an enjoyable thread to go through, beautiful boats is an understatement. And beautiful shots of them. I thank you guys with these big sailing ships for sharing! Refreshing to look at! They have me thinking.

I hope your Surprise new captain has fun, and takes care of her.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter