HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:54 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Sailing 17 October

What a grand day to go sailing. Winds 3-5 steady and temperature 71 F.

What a grand day to forget the tool box at home. BUMMER! When we got to the lake I found that I did not have any tools so I could not change the course sails and I did not have the pins for the upper masts.

A couple of ear swabs were shed of the cotton ball on the end and I it just so happened that we had two sizes of swabs with different diameters of the plastic piece and fortunately the larger one fit the main mast and the smaller one barely went in the foremast.

After today I am going to have two sets of tools and one is staying in the trailer.

Once on the water the whole revoltin developments went away because the sailing was magnificent. Wind was coming from the NNW which allowed me to sail out and when the wind began to die down in the evening I did not have to tow the ship back--good thing too because the towing line was nice and dry in the tool box at home.

Sailing can be fun and adapting, improvising, and overcoming can be slightly rewarding.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
looks wonderful.....romance personified.......but couldn't you find a small twig?
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:10 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Yancovitch

Nothing in the parking lot except some weeds around the pavement. At least the swabs were the right size but they both failed. Only the brass rod works and I now have an extra supply of goodies in the trailer. This ain't gunna happen again. Of course I could forget the bass baby battery.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Jury rigging is a long and honorable tradition in the nautical services. Well Done, Sir.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Always nice to see the Surprise surging through the waves! You are most fortunate to have such nice sailing weather. Our recent weather here seems to be yielding to cold & wind coming down from Canada, reducing our sailing opportunities. Your demonstrated ability to improvise is a credit to your position, Commander!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Don, it is supposed to get really cold tonight and tomorrow here as well. Today would have been another perfect day to sail but we went to another county to visit some old friends in the Mennonite community. I know we will get some sailing in each month if my hands are up to it.

Thank you Brooks, I appreciate the encouragment.

I do hope we can do a fleet sail sometime in the upcoming year.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Sailing 08 November

Today was another marvelous sailing day. 71 degrees, winds 6-8 early on, but lighter later in the day so the captain set the royals.

I hope to be able to make a video with some of the shots we got today, maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile--here is Surprise on the water today.

We probably won't sail again until December but I like to get out at least once each month. Maybe I can get a day to set the stunsl's.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
that truly is a beautiful end of the day.....thanks!
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
what a beautiful day to sail. I love the look of those royals reaching for the sky.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Glad you experienced another great sailing day. Always a pleasure to see your ship, always appreciate your sharing with us! HMS Pictou has not been active lately, doing stuff in preparation for winter. The weather forecasters threatened us with snow today, but it never came - Yay! Seeing your pictures makes me wanna bundle up and launch the ship - We ain't frozen in yet! Thanks, Ray!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
I managed to make up a video of the ship over the last few weeks of sailing. The singing group from Japan (Yamato Drummers of Japan) were practicing their program and music at the lake on 30 October and they gave us a personal concert. It was absolutely wonderful.

The winds were perfect on 08 November and I hoisted and set the Royals for the first time since our 2010 trip to MN and engaging the wiley master and commander of Syren.

Surprise at sea--again!.mpg (3 min 15 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:49 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
28 December 2011

37 degrees and winds out of the west at 6-10. We just had to go to the lake and sail for awhile.

Cold on the arthritic hands but I just had to grit my teeth and sail.

The photograpy is the same as before but several nice shots did get through the lens. I also took some video which I hope to be able to make a You Tube video sometime later.

I cannot imagine what it might have been like in the age of sail when it got cold. Well I guess I can imagine it but that is about as close to it as I would come at this stage in life. UFFDA!

As you can see, the view from the deck is not nearly as interesting as Lootenant Dan's brig--but his is in dry dock for the winter and we are sailing.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
gorgeous!...gotta love the ass on that chick!.....sorry, couldn't think of a better way of putting it
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Always looking good and impressive!
RevWarBrig is offline Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Very pretty shots, Para.

For cold wet hands, I get some relief with the thin neoprene gloves sold for kayakers. I used them while running the submarines on the ice floe river last January, and they helped a lot.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks