HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined May 2007
67 Posts
Hello everybody

You asked for some pictures. Soon I will post some pics of the MINISAIL 2011 in Berne. We had a wonderful weekend with plenty of sunshine and many nice ships.

B_Wave
B_Wave is offline Find More Posts by B_Wave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
I am a continuous and very interested observer of this thread, but I don't post pictures because my SC&H cruiser class ship is no longer square rigged, which doesn't really fit in this dialogue. I also have had a bit of a rough Summer, which limited time on the water. But I highly value your thread, Ray, and would severely miss it if it dried up!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:13 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
I am a continuous and very interested observer of this thread, but I don't post pictures because my SC&H cruiser class ship is no longer square rigged, which doesn't really fit in this dialogue. I also have had a bit of a rough Summer, which limited time on the water. But I highly value your thread, Ray, and would severely miss it if it dried up!
Don, I have considered renaming the thread to just sailing larger model ships, say 1:36 and larger. Regardless put some photos up, I have already posed some with Pictow in them and it is a tall ship even though you don't have the tops rigged. Reconsider with some photos of your very VERY nice ship.

RG
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:27 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Seems that anyone successfully sailing a larger scale, scale model would be more than welcome to post here and tha pics etc would be greatly enjoyed.

Since I moved, I haven't sailed this summer at all. I really need to get my kicks from seeing others post their sailing experiences.

I was really impressed by yancovitch' lights and sailing pics. Wow.
Here's an old pic of Syren with lights - the best I have to offer at this time....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
I had forgotten that you had lights on Syren. What an incredible view of your ship. I may eventually have to try to do something with my ship if I keep sailing at night.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
beautiful shot dan...maybe next year i'll be able to get some nite shots too.
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2007
67 Posts
Swiss minisail 2011

Spent a nice weekend together with about thirty model builders from Switzerland, Germany und the Netherlands. We had two sunny days with light winds for this anniversary event.
Except some modifikcation of the ballast keel nothing new with the HMS CALYPSO. As the bow was allways a little bit two deep I've cut off about 300g of lead at the front of the ballast keel. She sailed very well but it is difficult to say if this is due to this modification or to the slowly growing experience of the skipper ?

I've made some videos but first I have to teache myself how to manage this clips. Hope you have some patience...
B_Wave is offline Find More Posts by B_Wave
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
is that deck shot for real??.....time for me to quit modeling ...........wonderful shots....!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Absolutely stunning photos and greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Beautiful models and great pictures. I really like the pics showing a wake and heeling over. She can really move thru the water!

I also found that removing lead from the front of the keel and moving the battery behind the mainmast helped maneuverability and reduced "porpoising".

Thanks, and keep posting!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Very nice pictures! Thanks for sharing with us! I would guess that it would be really fun to sail with a group like this. Wonderful models!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:04 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Another "Ray" looking to join the fleet!

OK, so after a month of lurking, and reading literally 1,000+ posts, I'm finally going to get my feet wet. I'm Ray M from NYC.

I had tried getting into a Square rig ship back in 2002. I actually still have the emails I exchanged with Jerry Todd about his Constellation!
I had always wanted to model the Constitution, having ordered the plans and books from Bluejacket for their static model back then. Without any real good blueprints, my dreams of Old Ironsides went to moth balls - getting into Scale R/C warbirds didn't help any. Being 22 and poor didn't either...lol

Fast forward nearly a decade and after a trip in September to an old friend (and model ship builder) up in the Boston area which included a road trip through Essex, Gloucester and up into N.H and Maine, I got the bug again. Lots of beautiful ships up there!
In attempts and hopes to find new information on the the Constitution, I came across the SC&H website and these fantastic forums... I'm now on my third keyboard from all the drooling at the work done by all of you!

I'm shelving my hopes of the Constitution for now (unless Philip wants to add a fourth boat to his line!? Please!? ) and am tossing between Surprise and the Brig.

Now with background done, to my questions. I "think" I really want the Surprise under the possible thought that I may only have one chance to own and build a boat like this. However, logic (due in good part to these threads) tells me that transportation, and possible sailing locations would dictate I consider the smaller Brig.

Another question I have is about the actual sailing. Has anyone commanded both ships? Is one easier to sail than the other and/or better in tight quarters? In short, can you guys help with pros/cons to which ship I should get?

Another question I have is regarding all the custom work and retrofitting you've all done. I'm seeing that once you install the deck, that's permanent. How is the ability to do work in the hull? I've read about adding extra servos to control other sails and such. Seeing all the work DanL has done to Syren over the years leads me to believe that you can get in there to do things, but then again that might just be Dan's magic (I'm only into 2008 on the original thread too!)

Thanks in advance for any input!
WarpdSpazm is offline Find More Posts by WarpdSpazm
Last edited by WarpdSpazm; Oct 04, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:38 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Welcome aboard WarpdSpazm; we hope you all the best.

I really enjoy my model of Surprise but it is a two person ship whether you are at the lake or home. It weighs 120 pounds set up for sailing and I found that putting it in a trailer is much easier than what I tried to do early on, that is taking the masts down to get her in the back of an SUV. It fits but it takes much more time to set up and take down which I found unhandy and we bought a trailer. Since we spend a whole day on the lake when we go it is nice to have a toy hauler so we have the comforts of an RV while we are out there, including air conditioning during the hot of the day. Plus I haul the Bass Baby in there as well because I needed a chase boat.

The brig is much easier to handle as Dan and Don both can handle their ships by themselves plus they do fit easily in an SUV. Dan uses a kayak to chase his and he can haul that on top of his car. Here is a video of us setting up last year for our fleet sail in MN.

HMS Surprise in the fleet sail September 2010.mpg (3 min 55 sec)

I have not sailed a brig but it is my guess that it would be similar to sailing Surprise. I have a main and mizzen that rotate together and the foremast separate, while the brig has only the main and the foremast. Tacking is going to be the same with either ship. We have tried to race and I think the brig will sail faster in some weather, I know for sure that Don's topsail schooner rig on the brig hull is a lot faster than both of the other ships.

Tight quarters are going to be similar for either ship but I have found that Dan can get control of his ship faster than I can. It is possible that the lighter hull might have something to do with that. I have been in tight quarters a number of times--they can be heart stoppers. When I tried to sail on Lake Michigan last August I might have lost Surprise when she hit the sea wall, but I managed to get out there and tow her back and put her back in the trailer.

There is room to work in the mechanical space in the hull. Dan has been able to rig his ship the way the prototype would be rigged and sailed. I rigged mine with winch servos and drums after Dan's successful installations, but to get into the hull to install something different such as separate braces to the yards as he has Syren rigged is impossible on my ship. The reason is the two decks--one above the other. Had I rigged mine originally for the double bracing and winch drums it would operate fine. My ship also has cross over jib and stay sail after Dan's inventions and I managed that by rigging a servo into the gun deck with the drum just below the forecastle, but it was a bear getting it in there. Had I rigged all that before installing the forecastle deck I am sure it would be cleaner as the installation in Syren.

There is no doubt that you can add details and change rigging on these ships, but I think the brig makes that easier because of the single deck.

Keep going on the thread and feel free to post anything you need help with.

You might talk on the phone with Phillip Roberts, the manufacture of the SC&H ships, he will be able to give you some input after hearing what and how you plan to get around with your ship once it is ready for sailing.

RG
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:00 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Paratrooper,

Thanks for the detailed response and the additional video! I've been to your Youtube page already and watched all the vids... (I sound like a stalker reading this back.. lol). Interesting enough, the friend that got me into Sailing ships, is also a huge model railroader as well...
This video is fantastic so see the ships as models. the setup shots, as well as the images showing you all in the boats around them, makes me jealous. I do not believe I will be able to sail along with my ship in the local lakes.
Your words are leaning me towards the Brig as the wise choice at this point... I can hope that being only 31, I'll have plenty of time to obtain Surprise (or maybe even the Constitution) further on down the road. I definately don't have to space to put a trailer where I live now. I can easily build a rig in my pick-up to handle the Brig.
I will continue reading and surely plan to call Philip closer to purchase time..
WarpdSpazm is offline Find More Posts by WarpdSpazm
Last edited by WarpdSpazm; Oct 04, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Warpd -
Just saw your post.
At 31, you have plenty of time.... ! was late 50's before I got the brig - my first big RC tall ship.
Depending on your modelling skills, an option is to get the brig, but ship rig it (three masts) like the Rattlesnake. That would give you a size that could be more easily transported, one man launch, but the dramatic look of three masts wth full sail like Ray's Surprise.
Ray is a master railroad modeller and has applied those skills to the Surprise. It is a more complex and challengiing build than the brig, and a handfull to handle. Ray has absolutely mastered it.
The brig has a bit easier access, allowing modifications over time.
Doing it all over, I would likely start with the brig and ship rig it.
Good luck with your project! Keep us posted.