HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
i cut my bow sprit about a foot from the end and attached it back together with a small brass rod in the center, so if it hits anything, it should just bend....well.....it should just bend
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:21 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
i cut my bow sprit about a foot from the end and attached it back together with a brass rod, so if it hits anything, it should just bend....well.....it should just bend
I ran around for a year with a top of one mast put together with a piece of tubing. The next time it got bumped I found that the tubing did not bend but the mast broke above it. I never thought of using a brass rod. I do have a dolphin striker made from a brass rod and it has been bent any number of times including this last adventure but I am sure that a few more times of bending I may end up replacing it with a new one, but that is what sailing one of these is about. Hope for the best sailing but being mindful that they can be injured.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:44 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
Ships carried spare spars - make an extra jib-boom, t'gallant masts, etc and you can replace, or jury rig it. Hornblower used the spare main topmast to make a jury-mizzen after loosing the mizzen in the fight with Natividad
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,333 Posts
Para, can you remove your brass dolphin striker and anneal it? Providing it was still stiff enough to do the job after annealing, you'd get more tries at repair before it broke. The possible problem with annealing is that normal brass can't be heat-hardened; after the anneal, you are stuck with whatever softness you got. Normal brass responds to work-hardening only; you'd need to hammer the dolphin striker to regain stiffness.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:55 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Para, can you remove your brass dolphin striker and anneal it? Providing it was still stiff enough to do the job after annealing, you'd get more tries at repair before it broke.
I tried that and after annealing it I found that it was more prone to damage from just bouncing in the drydock. It is easy to replace by taking the stay out and slipping in another piece of brass rod with a hole in the end for the stay and she is fit. It has been bent a number of times due to collisions with rocks and walls but I have been able to just rebend it to shape. Not so with the jib boom.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Day's end and moon rising on the water

10 September 2011--we managed to get out to the lake late today, just in time to get some photos of the ship in the sun set as well as the moon rising.

Perfect evening to sail but winds were very light, 0-2 was all we could manage but some good photos anyway.

Weather changing, more rain tonight and tomorrow so this evening was the best sailing this weekend.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:32 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:38 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
Didn't know they had such good photographers and cameras in the early 1800's...

Wish I could have been there.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:46 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Didn't know they had such good photographers and cameras in the early 1800's...

Wish I could have been there.
Well if the truth be told, these were the best of 75, the great advantage of doing them digital is they can be reviewed the same day as they are taken.

It would be great to get a fleet sail photo at this time of day. We are going to have to try harder next year to make it happen.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2006
346 Posts
Wonderful pictures, Ray! Happy to see the bowsprit repairs complete, and Surprise on the prowl again. Evening sails can be so pleasant - Water calm like glass, ship ghosting along on whispering air currents. Most difficult part is to avoid getting oneself so calm and relaxed that you fall off the chase boat...
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
i hope we see some more of those, but why always only Ray ? i`ll show pics as soon as i`m on the water...probably in 2045 or thereabouts , but what about the other sailing ones ?
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
Syren sits among piles of moving boxes, waiting for some drydock work before sailing again. But fixing up the new house keeps jumping to the top of the list.
I'm losing hope that I will get her out yet this year. And the lake is right behind the house....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
i hope we see some more of those, but why always only Ray ? i`ll show pics as soon as i`m on the water...probably in 2045 or thereabouts , but what about the other sailing ones ?
I have invited and even pleaded with others to join in and post some photos, I think others do post photos on their own threads.

We do hope to get a fleet sail next year but that is a way off right now.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
I don't have an SC&H model Ray
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:10 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
I don't have an SC&H model Ray
Jerry, post anyway. Photos of your ship on the water are absolutely welcome.