SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:04 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Wow those night pics are something special. Makes me want to do some research into what lights would have been visible on the Beagle and maybe try beneteau3's "mini battery powered LED holiday lights" sometime.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpop Andrew View Post
Wow those night pics are something special. Makes me want to do some research into what lights would have been visible on the Beagle and maybe try beneteau3's "mini battery powered LED holiday lights" sometime.
Good evening shipmate. We plan to try to do another fleet sail in MN and Beneteau3 as well as Lootenant Dan if he can make it.

We plan to be at the O Scale national convention in Indianapolis on 22-23 September if you would like to try to find us, we can talk sailing. I wear a black ball cap with 11th Special Forces on it.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Vel, da Ole und Lena Perductions have put up annudder flim. Dis vun is sailing unter da moonlite. Yah sure you betcha!

Surprise exercises her guns at night.mpg (1 min 50 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
wow...i wasn't expecting that!....fantastico maximus!...what a contrast from the peaceful setting, where you had me seduced, with an excellent choice of music to the...to the...to the......well, i think my heart skipped a beat or two
i don't think anyone can beat this one!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
That is absolutely outstanding! Looks incredibly realistic.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Wow!!!!

Ray,
Just saw the vid. Really amazing video and editing work!!!!!
And what a great night to sail!
You da best!

And I counted 13 shots out of 16. We will get the misfires solved!!!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:54 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
I KNEW IT! I knew someone would count them.

Well I took the 3 carronades apart that did not fire, the same 3 as before, and I put new nichrome wires in them. Instead of bending them over at the end of the copper tube, I made a radiused end in them and carefully reloaded. The test went perfectly with the slightly added length of wire plus the radiused end which I think heated up faster. There was no misfire on the test.

We are headed for MN on Thursday and I am taking the ship just in case we might be able to sail. I hope to sail with Don on one day for sure even if you are double blocked with your newly acquired head aches. I know that things will get better for you.

Talk with you soon.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Amazing nightime gunfire vid

The firing guns were spectacular at night. Only counted to see how the system was working overall.
Thanks for the mag with the gun article. Examined pics, but precious little info was shared. But I have some ideas on the multiple shot system.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Really enjoyed your night sail video! The rolling cannon fire was especially outstanding! Were you able to surprise any fishermen out there with the artillery? I can imagine you could ghost up to someone and wake 'em up real quick!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
Really enjoyed your night sail video! The rolling cannon fire was especially outstanding! Were you able to surprise any fishermen out there with the artillery? I can imagine you could ghost up to someone and wake 'em up real quick!
Several night fisherman said they could see it from across the lake and it was even more impressive from further away according to them.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:43 AM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
That was one of the coolest things I have seen. Nice job.
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
That was one of the coolest things I have seen. Nice job.

Thank you grouch--and being an Old Goat myself I appreciate you taking time to post this.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:01 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Near Disaster

We did not get to do a fleet sail in MN this year. I hope to be able to try again next year.

What I did do though was to put Surprise in the harbor at Manitowoc while waiting to board SS Badger, the Lake Michigan ferry from Manitowoc WI to Ludington MI. A near DISASTER!

I reduced sail to just the top canvas and the stay sails but a gust of wind nearly turned her over. Had the hatch come loose the ship would be at the bottom of the landing area.

I lost control when the main course yard got hung up on the rigging of the fore course yard and I was unable to shift the yard in order to maintain a heading so Surprise went with the wind and hit the sea wall.

A broken bowsprit and the stuns'sl yard was hammered on the main course yard, some paint chipped, but other wise she survived.

The first mate tells me that it ain't good to cause her heart to jump a few beats and certainly not good for me to try sailing in winds against the launch point in unfamiliar waters. Again--the first mate is right.

The SS Badger is a marvolous coal fired steam ferry and from what I could gather from several on the quay, the EPA wants the ship taken out of service because of the ash. I did hear they may change it to diesel but that is speculation.

Surprise is in drydock and repairs are underway.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Aug 26, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,688 Posts
I hope, as it looks, that the damage is limited to the jib-boom and I'm sorry what looked like a great sail was spoiled.

I'm just hoping not to have an unscheduled sail this weekend.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:53 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
I hope, as it looks, that the damage is limited to the jib-boom and I'm sorry what looked like a great sail was spoiled.

I'm just hoping not to have an unscheduled sail this weekend.
Yes, the boom has been fixed already and other than the pride of the captain, not much was actually hurt.