HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:29 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
Paratrooper, I really love your reduced sail photos. The reason I like the reduced sail photos, and your stories, is that in them Surprise is real, sailing just like real ships, matching sail suite to the conditions. The ship is not so elegant, perhaps, at least as defined by official ship portrait paintings, Hollywood, etc. But even though "elegance" may be less, your ship moves out of the fantasy, one might even say "toy boat" world, and enters the world of miniature reality. That is cool.

I also appreciate, and applaud, your seamanship to be able to maneuver Surprise in all winds. Your cruises demonstrate that you have learned how to work with the wind, not against it, making you a true Sailor. Well Done!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:48 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
I'm almost back....

Finally finished the move, but what a mess....
But still hope to get Syren out on the new lake within a few weeks.
Things got held up more than expected...on the very last trip of the move
I totalled my car and trailer full of the last of our belongings.
Not good. No one else was hurt or involved, and I am fine (thank God).
Lesson - maybe sail your RC boat when you are tired and drowsy, but never drive that way!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:40 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Sorry about your car Dan but very glad to hear you did not have the ship in there as well. Plans are still in flux right now about dates but as soon as we can make a decision (Possible work) we will try to make some reasonably firm plans for our fleet sail in September.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:01 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
Sorry about your mishap, DanL. I'm glad you were not hurt.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:04 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Glad you`re back Dan! And happy to hear nothing more serious than material harm was done.

Ray, thats great sounds you`re enjoying the jumoing again, static line is nice, but you can?t beat freefall!

Skydive !
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:05 AM
Joined Oct 2006
806 Posts
thanks god you're safe....hope it didn't hit you too hard in the pocket book.....missed you here......
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Sailing under a full moon

We finally managed to get out during a full moon night and it turned out perfect. My photography is not very good (Movies were difficult because I do not know how to make the auto focus go to manual) but I managed to get a few moments of sailing in the moon light.

I have often wondered what sailing on a square rigger would have been like on a night like last night--winds out of the east about 1-2 and only a few fishermen on the lake. Many years ago we sailed on a passenger ship from Italy back to Australia and we had a number of extremely pleasant nights aboard the ship but it was not a sailing ship.

Here are the only photos that made it through the edit.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
806 Posts
absolutely gorgeous!! that's the kind of atmosphere i hope to create with my ship one day if i'm lucky especially with the lights in the stern galleries.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
That is VERY COOL ! now all we need is teh image of one of your rolling broadsides at night
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2006
359 Posts
Very nice pictures, Ray! Nitetime sailing is so peaceful. We have a little yacht club that does an annual night sail for the public. We put many lights on our boats, which creates quite a sight. You could easily do that for the Surprise - I just use strings of those mini battery powered LED holiday lights. Some lights might help Surprise from being run over by a fishing boat.

By the way, I received and read the book, A Collection of Memories! An outstanding adventure - I envy the lifestyle! You 2 have a great sense of humor!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
That is VERY COOL ! now all we need is teh image of one of your rolling broadsides at night
Ah yes, well it just so happens that I did take a video of a rolling broadside in the dark and it will soon be an epic adventure film from Da Ole und Lena Perductions on You Tube. Coming soon to a screen near you.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:58 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
Da Ole und Lena Perductions
I love those guys - they're better than MGM
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
I love those guys - they're better than MGM
Ole is from da nort of Mannysnowda vile Lena comes from da sout off da cities der ya know! She vas da 1946 Queen for da day der ya know! Ya sure you betcha!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:15 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
Paratrooper, you're probably the only guy in America that can accomplish night frigate sailing in the old manner. The square riggers I've sailed on, HMS Rose and HMBark Endeavour, both ran their generators 24/7. So, sadly, we never got the silence of the 1800's in our night cruises. I suppose modern skippers, or modern insurance agents, require radar and GPS at all times, sigh.

The closest we came to the old ways was one night off the Cape Verde islands in Endeavour. We had a blustery watch, with winds in the 40knot range, plus squalls. The noise aloft drowned out any generator noise :-). But for silent moonlight sailing, ghosting along like you did, nada.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
43 Posts
Beautiful!
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig