Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Feb 2007
70 Posts
Officer, take the name of that man who failed to secure the starboard anchor! It's ruining the paintwork when the waves push it around when she heels over!
We'll have to stop his grog for six days!
Taran is offline Find More Posts by Taran
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Anudder Lena and Ole classic
Luv da credits!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Meat Bomber--I wish you were closer. I am organizing a parachute adventure for old goats later this spring, it would be nice to have your plane available. I have not jumped in 22 years so for this one I am going to have to do the student course again but it should be a most exciting adventure.

Ole und Lena will be doing the video I'm sure.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:51 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Ships Log

Ships Log--17 March 1811, winds SSE 10-14, clear, humidity 45%, Cedar Creek Lake KY.

Some very swift sailing today with sail reduced to a forecourse, jib and staysail, nothing up on the main, and the top and driver on the mizzen. There were times I was unable to keep up with her in the bass baby.

Several weaknesses were discovered today. The foretop was set until the yard parted from the truss. That connection will have to be reworked--again! It was good that the yard came off when it did because the wind grew stronger about that time and with that sail up it would have been too much canvas.

White caps and fast sailing--what a thrill today.

I still have to fit the new radio receiver and set the guns back up for the season, but we will be ready if and when Syren comes out of hiding.

I sailed across the lake several times which at the end of the day I would estimate she sailed about 1-1/2 miles today. Incredible speed with short canvas.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:02 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
Must have been a really neat day at the lake. Very gratifying to see her perform so well, I am sure. Nice photos too, thanks!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:31 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Cool...
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:05 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Ray,
Really great pics - very nice camerawork.
The furled sails look really good - a nice effect.
It will be awhile yet before open water here - the average date is mid-April and the latest on record is May 8!

You absolutely must hold the world's record for sailing time with these large SC&H ships. You need a name change - Paratrooper to Admiral.....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:20 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
An interesting day at the lake yesterday.

The winds were very nice early on but they got a bit stronger in the afternoon and right about the time the battery started to choke in my transmitter.

Well I have two batteries and I thought they were fully charged as the first one I had in the charger in the RV as we drove to the lake. After about 45 minutes I got the dreaded message on the screen of my brand spanking new 9 channel Spektrum DX9 that the battery was packing it in for the day--so I reached into the tool box and got the spare and installed it. Immediately the ship came back to life and I thought it is possible that the brand new battery might be flawed, or at least that my new radio transmitter was eating more power than the old 7 channel.

I was not firing the guns but I did try the camera gimbals out and did about 20 minutes of filming because I set the camera up while I was on the beach and set the ship out on the high seas expecting to just sail back. Good planning is the hallmark of success!!! The winds died and I had to get the bass baby out there to get the camera and shut it off. I have 20 minutes of footage of looking around here there and yonder. Most of it useless.

Well when the winds got up some more, possibly in the 10k range Surprise was beginning to heel over so I decided to start sailing for the boat ramp. The second battery started to whine that it was tired as well and there was a few minutes of panic as I sailed back and just barely making it to the launch cart when the thing QUIT!

I am going to research what I may have done wrong with the charging but I am also going to consider making some new batteries based on Dan L's engineering for a 2700 mHa set up to see if maybe I am just using more power with the new servos all connected to one receiver--and I ain't even tried the guns yet!

Anyway as we were launching Surprise, the game warden appeared towing an upside down bass boat and a very wet fisherman in the seat next to him. Apparently along the shore somewhere on the other side of the lake this fellow stood up in his boat and tried to walk on an area that he had not tried before and the whole thing went bottom up. The thing including a 75 or 100 HP outboard motor was too heavy even for a bunch of fellows who were willing to get wet to lift.

Well they eventually got it on the trailer upside down and dragged it up the ramp with the top of the motor dragging on the concrete and gasoline spilling out since the cap had been chewed off by the ramp concrete.

Next the fire department arrived to wash the gas down and a tow truck arrived to turn the boat upside up on the trailer. That was an interesting operation and the tow truck driver appeared to be well versed in this sort of lifting and working on his rig. Soon it was upside up, the gas washed down and cat litter spread on the black top for the gas, and the excitement all died away as interested strap hangers parted company and headed their own way.

What a day at the lake!!!!!
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
Ray,
I love the weathering showing on your keel and cart!!! That is a well sailed boat!
The batts in the Tx:
Nothing on the boat will efect the batt life in the Tx.
I think from your e-mail that the batts weren't optimally charged.

Max charge rate for 1500mAh batts should be 1/10th that amount, or only 150mAh (the closest charge rate setting on a digital programmable charger would likely be 0.1 or 0.2 amps) That means a charge would take nearly 10 hrs on the charger. A fast charge can overheat a batt, reduce it's life and may not give a full capacity charge.

The 8 NiHM's in that pack, rated at a nominal voltage of 1.2V, should charge to a max of 1.4 or 1.5V, or a total pack voltage of 11.2 to nearly 12V. the max I usually get is 11.5 volts charging at a rate of 0.2A (200ma).

Try a slow 0.2A charge on your packs and check final V to see if you get at least 11.2V. If not, batts are likely not fully charging.
Cells should not be discharged below about 1.0V per cell, or 8V for the pack. But the Tx signals low batt at 9V, so it's unlikely you are over-dicharging the batts.

If the above doesn't work, maybe we should both upgrade batts anyway. I too sold my 2500mAh pack with the Spektrum 7. Should have thought about that one more....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:23 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Dan, I meant to work on the batteries tonight but I got derailed with a caboose kit. I will first try to discharge the battery in the radio now then recharge it at 0.2. I have been using 0.1 but I have never started with a completely discharged battery.

This is a first for me as the DX7 never beeped due to low voltage. I thought it might be the same battery pack but more stuff in the 9 is what I meant to say but managed to write it unclearly.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:45 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Perfect sailing

Yesterday was one of those perfect sailing days--67 degrees, winds steady WSW 6-8, cloudy for taking photos, and not too many people at the lake.

The last time I went to the lake I had trouble with the original battery for the new 10 channel JR Spektrum X9503 transmitter not holding a charge, and I lost control of Surprise in less than 2 hours. It is possible that I did not have that battery fully charged but to keep that from happening again, I ordered a new type of battery from NoBS Batteries at Hangtimes Hobbies. www.hangtimes.com

I bought a new 2000 Series Eneloop Transmitter Pack high capacity NiMH and I started sailing at 11.1 volts and after 5 hours of continuous sailing it was still going strong at 10.2. I am really impressed with these Sony Eneloop batteries.

With the canvas deployed as you see in these photos, the ship was in perfect trim. A little weather helm was adjusted to sail on the wind line without constant helm adjustments and I let her go for about 1/2 mile but sticking within range in the chase boat. Tacking was absolutely a joy as the steady winds made every turn and maneuver very positive.

I didn't load the guns as she healed over enough to get water in the barrels. That will have to wait for a calmer day.

We are planning a night cruise during the next full moon period--16 June or there about and hopefully a few cloudless nights. We found a camping place at this same lake (Cedar Creek Lake) and I want to try to get some photos and video of the guns firing at night as well as sailing in the moon light.

Stay tuned!
Old May 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
absolutely gorgeous......
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old May 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
Great pictures, Ray. Always a pleasure to see your adventures. You must be the most active sailor of the SC&H fleet! We are still looking for one of those perfect days - Hopefully soon.
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Surprise at sea 29 July

We finally managed to get out on the lake with Surprise--very hot but a much needed sailing day. Winds SSW at 8-10 and near perfect steady winds.

Here are a couple of photos of the same old thing.

2145 hours: I forgot to mention that I sailed for 3 hours in hot weather and the transmitter battery lost but .5 volts which is incredible. The twin batteries in the hull for the ship did not loose their sense of humor either. When we get to MN for the big annual gun fight in September I think I will have plenty of manuvering power.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Jul 29, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:02 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
863 Posts
Meatbomber--I have been cleared for a 30-second delay with a Manta canopy. I hope to get to the DZ tomorrow to get at least one in. AIRBORNE!