HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:37 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Minnesota Fleet Sail September 2010

Shipmates: After returning home and taking care of chores as well as some gainful employment, getting time to post some photos of the 2010 fleet sail at Staring Lake in Bloomington MN has been a tad tight.

I have some great video to make a movie with--well at least until I dropped the video camera in the lake--but before that revoltin development things were going well.

We were joined this year by a new ship, a schooner, similar to the Blue Nose--captain Paul could sail that ship and no one could actually get him within range.

Captain Don of the Pictow joined Surprise in blockading the harbour so that Syren could not get out on the open sea--but the wily captain Dan managed to break out anyway.

I will make a video as soon as time permits. Some of the footage is really nice as the sailing was absolutely great.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2006
346 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, Ray! I think we all collectively snapped some good photos! Also, thanks again for including us in your vacation trip - Really is a unique event with these ships. Can't wait for the video! Hope your camera is salvageable....
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:41 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Shipmates: The video of the fleet sail on Staring Lake in Bloomfield Minnesota is complete. The ships were magnificent and the sailing was even more magnificent.

HMS Surprise in the fleet sail September 2010.mpg (3 min 55 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:11 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
42 Posts
Fantastic!
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Cool vid.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:16 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
Yea great video, great ships and great sailing
I'd love to see some more of the maneuvering between the passes for the broadsides!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
Yea great video, great ships and great sailing
I'd love to see some more of the maneuvering between the passes for the broadsides!
I will have to work on that aspect--maybe next year if we can all get together again.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:04 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
Bravo!
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Shipmates--another fine day on the lake with the sameo sameo pickies except one--a bloke showed up with his sailing boat and the first mate of Surprise scuttled off the ship. What a revoltin development that was.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:11 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
New radio transmitter

Well the truth is--I found some extra room in the hole in the water so I decided it was a good time to throw some money in it. I hate to have the holes uncovered--besides I have to keep up with the DanL's.

The weather has begun its favorite winter time attitude, cold rain and strong winds, but we will get some really fair weather in December and January so I guess I better to out and fit this thing to the ship so it will be ready.

I am hoping to be able to control the 5 servos of the ship and the two servos of the camera gimbals with one radio rather than the two I am now wrestling with.

The first thing will be to rig the right hand toggle for the fore sail servo, or the main, I cannot remember how I have the DX-7 organized but given my propensity for confusion, I will expect a new learning curve for this radio.

I also plan to rig two 6vdc batteries so I will have more power to sail longer. In high winds I sometimes have to tow the ship back after the battery goes down so much that the ship stops sailing and starts wallowing. I hate it when that happens!

Let the adventure begin.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:58 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,348 Posts
New JR 2.4Mhz 9 channel radio

I guess the 9 channel is a JR radio, with Spektrum technology. Same company....
With the added functions of firing guns, onboard cameras, etc, having teh extra channels is great. This radio, with 9 channels and a LOT of programming options can actually, I think, be set up with enough slave functions to tack the ship with the throw of a switch!
Maybe not, but almost. It sure will make operation easier.

Winter ius defintely here - no sailing again til at least April....

Ray, let me show you where the "scuttle" switch is....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
what a wonderful video....great camera work, and sharp and clear..........put some of those shot in slow motion, and i'm sure they would look real........thanks for that!........the only trouble is....i can't get that tune out of my head now.........vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Nov 26, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Plans already in the works for another fleet sail next year, and hopefully I won't drop the camera in the lake again.

We have done some in slow motion and yes they do look great, but it takes a long time to do a sequence in SM so I have been running the scenes in standard speed. Check out some of the others we have up on YT and you'll see some of those we have tried in the past.

Surprise is in drydock for upgrading the wiring, new radio and receiver, and new rigging here and there.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
never get tired of looking at these gorgeous photos........those ships are beautiful.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
New battery set up installed

I now have the dual batteries installed in Surprise and this time I did not blow up all the servos thanks to Dan L for his help in designing the set up for me. This should give me a whole lot more sailing time than I was getting in the high winds as there will be ample power to stay on course.

Next will be to put the new 9 channel radio receiver in so I can take video with the same transmitter as well as fire the guns and operate the ship.