HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:11 PM
EdG
Central Oregon Coast
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
Best day yet

What an excellent day! With trial and error I getting a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Actually had a bow wave and a nice wake to boot. Last time out I was having so much fun and not paying attention that I had to tow into a stiff wind for a mile and a half (which neither of us enjoyed much). This time I got into the water early and towed the ship over to the windward end of the lake and then put the sails on AND THEN sailed back to the boat ramp. This was
much more fun and not nearly as stressful (on either of us).
Last time out I ended up with a pint of water in the hold - While I suspect most of it came from not having enough Vaseline in the mechanical hatch, it's obvious that I'm going to have to track down leaks (real or imagined) in the hold. Had anyone out there used a bilge pump in their ships with any luck?
I'm also asking for advice on trim. When all is calm, she's right where the waterline is painted (and no one was more surprised than me). When she's cracking on, the bow is pushing down into the water, which makes sense considering what's going on, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch or so. This that how it should look? Should I shift ballast further back like skiing?
As it is, things are getting better with each trip and it look like it's going to be a great summer.
EdG
EdwardG is offline Find More Posts by EdwardG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
You'll find her trimmed a little lite forward, maybe up to 1/2" high, and on the mark aft, will probably work out about right. Movable internal ballast will save you a lot of hassle in finding her "sweet spot" trim wise a-la Ray's steel bars or lead pellet "bean bags" with Velcro to hold them in place.

The forces that drive the vessel forward are generally above the center of gravity of the vessel - hence they'll push the bow down. This will be accentuated off the wind. Too much will lift the rudder and reduce it's effectiveness.

Trimming the bow up a bit compensates. We're talking small amounts here - don't have her doing wheelies across the lake.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:55 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,350 Posts
bilge pump

Ed,
A bilge pump will work, but a pint is a lot of water. Best to find the source and fix it.
I have a very simple water sensing/bilge pump circuit and pump info if you want it. Let me know and I'll post the circuit and what I've learned about n postioning the sensors and water intake.
Dan
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2006
346 Posts
Ray, Looks like you have the ship trimmed up pretty good. Must be a bit hard to boxhaul in that little pond......

I am probably going to shorten up my keelweight like dan did - the Pictou is a bit low in the bow and has some resistance to coming about that might be alleviated by this mod.
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:27 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
Ray, Looks like you have the ship trimmed up pretty good. Must be a bit hard to boxhaul in that little pond......

I am probably going to shorten up my keelweight like dan did - the Pictou is a bit low in the bow and has some resistance to coming about that might be alleviated by this mod.
The keel on Surprise is attached very near the front so shortening the keel is out of the question on my ship. The keels for both ships is the same but the fastener location for your ship is abaft of the location on mine.

I did have a little trouble with the slight wind trying to move the ship back in the 'wet dock' and I had to readjust the rudder when I finished but she's right now.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
What an excellent day! With trial and error I getting a better idea of what works and what doesn't. When she's cracking on, the bow is pushing down into the water, which makes sense considering what's going on, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch or so. This that how it should look? Should I shift ballast further back like skiing?
As it is, things are getting better with each trip and it look like it's going to be a great summer.
EdG
Edward--I have looked at your photos several times and I am not sure what I am looking at, but is your mizzen yard attached to the main mast yard so that they move together. I looks as though the mizzen is back winded in one photo. I am not able to tell for sure about the course of the ship with the wind line as you apparently do not have a pendant on the main mast. This little detail helps a lot in being able to see how the wind is working on the sails.

Are you able to tack and beat windward with your rig? Looking at the waves on the water I was not sure but I thought I would ask.

Your ship looks great and it is extremely nice to hear that you had a good day on the water. The more you get out the more you learn--at least that is my experience--because actually sailing is not quite the same as reading about it.

All the best mate! Keep posting as it is very VERY nice to see another Ship rig on the water.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
EdG
Central Oregon Coast
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I didn't specify that when I got all the water in the hold, the ship had been put on her beam ends due to a wicked gust of wind at the wrong time. It filled the ships boats up with water and I'm sure the look on my face was priceless. It did knock out my electrics, but thankfully everything worked fine when it dried out. It was then I realized that just about all the Vaseline I had used to keep water out of the hold had dissipated. I slathered quite a bit on before the last trip and the hold came out nice and dry this time. Still, I have no doubt there are leaks and places that need improving.
Thanks for the offer Dan and I will keep it in mind, if I continue to have problems I may consider a bilge pump, but I'd rather fix the leaks and I'm reluctant to stuff more things in the hold as just getting to the servos
is a trial for these big clumsy hands.
To answer PT's questions: Well, the main and mizzen yards are attached to the same servo, but they aren't attached to each other. The problem has something to do with putting the transmitter down, picking up the camera. getting the lens cap off, turning the camera on and setting up the picture. By that time the ship is doing something I'd rather it wasn't. On the other hand, I haven't dropped either the Tx or the camera
overboard, so I'm still counting my blessings. I'm still getting things tuned up - it's hard for me to get the yard lines as tight as they should be, but I'm getting there.
During the building frenzy, I forgot to omit the first shroud line on the fore mast. After I realized it had happened, I decided I remove it at a later time. I can't sail as close to the wind as I'd like, but I suspect it's
operator error. I've almost tacked a couple times, but I know now I haven't built up enough momentum. I have the book Seamanship in the age of sail on order, and by the end the of the Summer I hope to get this figured out.
The pendant? I forgot it, again (grrr).
EdG
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Surprise, surprise, surprise

On Thursday morning we managed to set sail on a completely new lake that we have never tried before. It is Cave Run Lake near Morehead KY. A friend of ours was on the lake that day with his 800 HP cruiser and he was taking a few photos.

Brian the WIDELICK (Not totally inaccurate but suffice it to be clear to all who know him) took some wonderful photos with his wife's new camera.

I had one of those days when things decided to become a challenge--the operations battery in the hull decided to DIE, and I had to tow the ship back to the beach to install the spare from the tool box. When I got the ship back on the open water we found that the WIDELICK had decided to go into the water with a camera he did not actually call his own, and he was straddle one of those 6' sections of pipe insulation thingies and holding the camera out of the water. He told me to do a sail by, so I ordered the helm up to go by the flawed thinker in the water and the ship glided by him several times while he shot photos. Then the famous words similar to "Hey, watch this!" came up--sail by closer. So the ship was tacked back and the helm kept her tight on the course, barely missing the hapless photographer in the water, when he became frightened and managed to lower his right hand to keep balance, ya sure you betcha--the hand that HELD THE CAMERA.

He managed to dry it out and swore he would not be telling his wife of the incident, and I would never do that. If she sees this post you can't blame me.

Captain Raymbo, Master and Commander, Surprise in the hands of the colonialists is a serious threat to the crown.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Jul 27, 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
A few more photos

Here are a few more photos from the hapless sailor in the sea.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:43 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
whatever that camera cost, the shots are priceless very very nice pictures!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:05 PM
EdG
Central Oregon Coast
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
Simply gorgeous...
EdG
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,181 Posts
Yes, great pictures.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:37 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
862 Posts
Shipmates: Jeff L, Master and Commander of the Fair American came down from Ohio for a visit and we got out to the lake this morning. A beautiful morning with some winds a little higer which reqired the striking of the royals and tops'ls to keep from healing over so much.

The photo of Jeff holding his main mast gives you an idea of the scale of his Fair American at 1:12. He has estimated that the sailing weight of his ship will be well over 200 pounds so he is planning a boat trailer type of hauling rig that will go up into a covered trailer but easily pulled with his vehicle. I do hope to be able to sail with him one day even though his brig will be 8 times the volume of Surprise it will still be a fun thing to do.

I have more work to do on the guns. I had 50% failure rate again today. I will have to do some more testing and adjusting to get these operational again as we plan another sea engagement in September just a tad over a moon from now.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Aug 20, 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Forgot the pickies
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:33 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
42 Posts
Shipmates: Had a great visit with Master Commander of Surprise and his first mate. The sailing today was very enjoyable. Here are a few pictures from today.
RevWarBrig is offline Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:18 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,181 Posts
Looks great on the water.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME