HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:44 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
This would be a great manned model square rigger, like little Leon or HMS Bellisle:

http://www.aqsim.com/littleleon/
http://www.festinalente.org.uk/belle...elleindex.html

wouldn`t one love to build something like that
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2006
371 Posts
TS, that is a really interesting website!! I notice that if you go to the "home page", it does allow you to choose and english translation for parts of it. I gather that it is a website originating in Argentina for model builders. But maybe you already knew this....

So, Ray, when does this new project begin?
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau3 View Post
TS,

So, Ray, when does this new project begin?
I already have all the boat my truck will haul.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
But Ray, you and Mrs Paratrooper could fit in that one together!
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:24 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
But Ray, you and Mrs Paratrooper could fit in that one together!
Been there and done that--the first mate prefers the A/C in the great cabin of the boat hauler behind the truck. I do not intend to suggest she be required to come out in the noon day sun with mad dogs and Englishmen.

And that's all I have to say about that! Forrest Gump
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Mad dogs and Englishmen did go out in the noonday sun. I can hardly walk. That's it, no more sailing until cooler weather. No film, no photos, no nothing--except the main battery went kaput today and the guns would not fire, I forgot to charge the gun batteries. So it goes.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,398 Posts
Shipwreck!

Just got back from an underwater archeology documentation project.
The wreck is an unknown three-master. Ha Ha - I'm calling it the Surprise!
Pay attention to ghost of the future, Capt Raymbo!

(It's really a three masted schooner sunk in Lake Michigan in the late 1800's - identity TBD.)

Ready to sail, but the weather here in MN has been variable and stormy.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:18 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Dan, that is magnifcent. The water is clearer than I would have thought. What is the depth of the wreck?

It has been too hot on the lake for me, even though we went out twice with some inlaws, I managed to overcook myself and I have been a bit crook the last several days with a wog, but I hope to be better soon. Next week the weather is showing possiblities of cooling some and I hope to get out to sail some. I need to do some rework on the guns to try to get better ignition on all of them. I think my wire might be a tad close on several of them.

The rigging is again changed slightly and I think I am going to strike both course sails next trip out to see how she does as Jerry has suggested.

The next engagement with you will be late September. We are setting course for MN on the 25th so clear your calendar and your decks and prepare to beat to quarters!

The Great Raymbolian, Master and Commander and determined to go "STRAIGHT AT THEM" the next time you are sighted.

I think your new rebreather rig is great.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:26 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,398 Posts
Ray,
Finally some good weather in the forecast. May get out Mon or Tues with 10-15mph wind forecast.
The water in the dive pics was very clear at the time. Viz is typically not that good, but zebra mussels have invaded the Great Lakes. They are filter feeders and really clean up the water. Downside is, that let's in more light and algae and weeds grow at deeper depths. The mussels also attach to almost anything underwater and grow in multiple layerslayers, completely covering and fouling wrecks, water intakes, buoys, etc.

Probs with your guns? My guess is fouling on and around the wires. I'll make up new pin-type igniters and send them out to you. No ball of flash paper is necessary with the pin type. They worked great at the show. Will post new igniter diagram later in the Syren thread.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Dan,
You wouldn't need to worry about remote control igniters for the guns on this beast; you could just reach over and lite the fuses in person!

tsparks is offline Find More Posts by tsparks
Old Jul 09, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,398 Posts
Syren outing

Today was a perfect day - 90 degrees, clear, 7-11 knot steady SSE wind when we went out, dropping to 3-7 by afternoon.
Went out without t'gallants and sailing conditions were perfect. Don was also out with his topsail schooner rig.
I took some weight and an inch or two off the front of the keel last month. With the bow raised now to waterline, she sailed better than ever- tacking was super easy and very smart. The steady wind made handling and maneuvering easy. It was the best wind I've seen in four sailing seasons.
Loaded all 18 guns and fired port and stbd 9-gun broadsides. One load is all you get when really sailing vs puttering around in the club show pond. The least bit of moisture in a barrel and a load won't fire...and the barrels do get wet on the open water.
Even in this moderate wind and wothout t'gallants, I had to paddle full speed in the kayak to keep up with her at times.
I was able to play more with sail set in the steady wind. Normally I'm cranking the sails just to keep her in the wind, using very little finnesse. But today I had the time to trim the headsails and spanker (rather than the rudder) to keep her on a straight course. She ran straight-on without adjustment for at least three or four minutes several times.
Anyway, a very good day. The only bummer is that I forgot the camera, so no pics. But that's probably another reason I sailed better today...no camera distraction.
Sunburn was the only reason I came in.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:13 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Dan--this is great. I am going to work on trimming the Surprise as well. She is down by the head because of the additional stuff I put in the hull. I am going to either shift the interior weights abaft or cut some off to get the ship back to waterline.

We have not been able to go out at all. It has been way too hot and I that I cannot take the heat as I did when I was younger. Cooler weather should prevail in September.

The guns are working perfectly since I cleaned the contacts on the rotary switch. DUH!
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:09 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,409 Posts
DanL, sounds like a great sail; trimming her to run straight was an acomplishiment, Well Done.

Para, I know what you mean about sun. I, too, can't seem to take as much as previously, sigh. I wonder if my blood pressure medicine has something to do with that? I've read that the skippers of real frigates played around a lot with fore and aft trim; so you are just being historically correct as you, too, shift weights around :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
371 Posts
Yes, it was one of the best sailing experiences for the Pictou. Sure glad Dan called and motivated me to load up the ship and head for the lake. Dan's Syren looked fabulous! It definitely was an exceptional day for sailing. The ships did some great ripping through the water - a nice, pure sailing adventure. Probably the closest thing to the much desired "tradewinds" that we have experienced so far. I ended up sailing from the dock - a great time - she always came back. Dang, I must locate that slow leak in my inflatable kayak....... A mutual great friend of ours met us at the lake. He is working on a fabulous 7 ft LOD r/c schooner model....Hope we influenced him to expedite his maiden launch.....
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Last edited by beneteau3; Jul 11, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:37 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
872 Posts
Trim ballast

Shipmates....

Dan L wrote; I took some weight and an inch or two off the front of the keel last month. With the bow raised now to waterline, she sailed better than ever- tacking was super easy and very smart.

I have been trying to think of a way to trim the ballast in Surprise without the hassle of going to the lake and struggling with the ship at the shoreline and today it came to me--build a wet dock. With some old barn lumber, a hold down strap, some screws, and a 9X12 3 mil plastic drop cloth, I built a 7-feet long by 2-feet wide wet dock and filled it with water.

Once the first mate and I got Surprise to the launching cart and I put the 40 pound keel on we lifted the ship to the wet dock.

She floated with a list to port (The addition of the working carronades and the battery) with the bow 1/4 inch below the waterline and the stern approximately 1/4 inch below the waterline.

I decided to try to remove the port side 6-3/4 pound steel weight in the hull and to my amazement, Surprise came up level amidships and about 3/16 inch above the waterline on the bow and about 3/16 inch below the waterline on the stern.

I decided to not cut the steel weight and just leave it out. I will try sailing as soon as the weather permits--it has been too flaming hot and winds have been less than dependable.

This has been a fair bit of work but I think the ship will be better on the water as Dan has found with Syren. Captain Raymbo
Last edited by Paratrooper; Jul 12, 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Learning to spell