Tsparks, looks Very nice!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 03:17 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Taylor--your ship looks great, and I know about loosing control from personal experience. Surprise has been beached several times for one reason or another. I have not had a dead transmitter but I have had a dead servo battery in the hull and the loss of control is the same. I also had trouble with my original rigging the first few times out but once I learned to sail I had less problems.

I hope you are able to join us. We are still looking for a lake less crowded with boaters and bathers. Smaller might be better. I will let you know and bring the CLIPPER for sure and for certain. RG
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old May 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
that is one beautiful clipper tsparks, do you only say with the square fore topsail or doyou use more than that ?
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old May 17, 2010, 04:34 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
meatbomber,
The only square sail I'm using is the topsail. I don't have any additional connections for more square sails. That topsail puts a lot of heel into the boat as it is, which I thought I had compensated for with the keel fin. But after my short trip at the pond, I saw it getting knocked down pretty easily. I might need to look at a deeper fin or one with more surface area.
tsparks is offline Find More Posts by tsparks
Old May 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
I have just figured out how to layer the music with the cannon sounds. The next flick is going to be better.

Sparks--things ain't too bad yet, you haven't shot yourself in the leg as Lt. Dan has done. Well I did it too but I was still learning.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old May 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
things ain't too bad yet, you haven't shot yourself in the leg as Lt. Dan has done.
"Bad" kinda depends on if the leg he shot was the leg he was aiming for, don't you think?

LOL
Old May 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,384 Posts
Taylor - she's beautiful. How long?
I see the Stars n Bars! We have the Surprise outnumbered! I'll send the secret flag codes to you soon....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old May 18, 2010, 01:18 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
ahem, the "Stars and Bars" are something else...
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old May 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,384 Posts
Oh, Okay...Stars n Stripes....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old May 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
ahem, the "Stars and Bars" are something else...
ok, so who's dat?

DanL, it's 61" LOA. (maybe a little shorter after sundays crash, but I'll fix that.)
Old May 18, 2010, 02:23 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Is the Valdivia model 1:24th scale?
Old May 18, 2010, 02:30 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
No Sir, it be 1:20th, not exactly in the same league as paratrooper and DanL, but I try.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I intend to do the Pride of Baltimore (first) in 1:24 which should put her at 45" on deck. I wanted to do her in 1:36 (30" on deck), to scale with Constellation - but that sharp Baltimore Clipper hull doesn't have any room in it at that scale. 1:20 would make her 54" on deck. Hmmmm?
Old May 18, 2010, 04:07 PM
back woods of Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
196 Posts
Actually, it's around 40", but thats just counting from one end of the deck planking to the other. If you include things like bow stems and sharply angled transoms, it comes out to more like 44".

So, now I'm confused.

Robbe's documentation always stated that the base kit was a 1:20 scale, but all their measurements are in metric. Does scale change if you change the unit of measure?

What exactly do you measure to determine what scale you are at?

Old May 18, 2010, 04:31 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Boats the size of Valdivia and Pride often are referred to by Length-on-deck - which, basically, is the longest length a deck plank can lay flat on beams.

Length on waterline is a common reference. Pride was 79' on the waterline (with the rudder), that's 79*12/24=39.5" in 1:24 or 47.4" in 1:20th. She was 90' on deck so the rake of her stem and stern added 11 feet.

Long overhanging ends vs short ends and inverted transoms, etc can make waterline vs deck length kind of odd to deal with when comparing boat sizes.

Scale is scale regardless of measurement - 1/20 of a meter is the same as 1/20th of 39 inches (or whatever a meter equates in inches).

As for model size, I subscribe to the idea that the biggest model you can transport and launch is best. Bigger sails better and more realistically, it's easier to see what it's doing out there, and it commands a lot more "Wow!" from observers.