HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
not missing sailing yet Ray ? maybe a bit smaller ship, or a brig instead of a frigate ?
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:45 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
No, not really. I tend to migrate from one hobby to another and rarely go back to anything I tried or did before. Parachuting may be the exception but I have left that in the memory book now for sure. I thought about some of this a few days ago and with the exception of model railroading, I tend to enjoy something about 5 years then look for something else.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Interesting, I think we may be different, I stay in the hobby, but may not get around to it for a few years. I did let go flying when we sold our Cessna. I might go for Glider rides again. I find that a lot of those hobbies had different circle of friends and when I get back in touch with old friends that these things come in handy for yet another good day.

I am looking into the future when I hit late 70s and early 80s and rc sailboats seem to be in that part of my life. I will be able to watch people feed birds while I sail my boat I am thinking. We will see. But one day I guess I will sell off most of my stuff, just not yet.

PS

Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Syren hopefully coming back....

Time goes fast when you get older...
Starting to get organized again to work on Syren, now a year since I moved and got sidetracked with work on the house, etc.
Posting this so I have a committment to meet. Plan to get this done before end of August and Paratroopers visit (hopefully) in early Sep.
Will post vids (have a new GoPro Hero2 mini HD vidcam) when I get her sailing again.

Syren work needed:

The bowsprit was broken off by the dogs. Need to make a new one now and re-rig it. A bit complicated because of the crossover headsails.

Tune up the rigging and servos. I'm leaving the current slack control system in place as it works fine as-is. Will update slack control with new under-deck approach this coming winter.

Tune up current single shot guns. Will build new guns system this winter. Going to a 4-shot per gun design vs the original planned 5-shot to reduce on-board black powder, get wider barrel spacing to prevent cross-fire and to reduce the loading time (only 72 total barrels vs 90 barrels)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
New Hearts

Hello Paratrooper,

Great Day. I am just about finished making new heart connections. I have maybe 2 hours to go and this part will be done. In the photo below, if you can zoom in on it you will see white tie wraps that are now my quick connect/disconnect heart points for breaking down the bowsprit for traveling to and from my lake. After the first few this became stupid easy to do. I almost felt like a builder...

I see DanL logged in, Hello DanL. Good to hear that your house project is back under control and that you are looking at your ships again. This is kind of my story, Been doing major outside changes and painting to house and I am now able to see the end of it. I still have ladders to put away and after some paint touch up I can get the paint cans out of my garage.

Looking forward to your posts.

Gary
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

Tonight on tv's Smithsonian Channel was a one hour show that aired for the first time. The series is called The Real Story, and was titled 'Master and Commander'.
Director Peter Weir's 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World' is a fictional film based on Patrick O'Brian's novels about the British Navy in Napoleonic times, but it is one of the most meticulously researched movies of all time. So the credits of the show states.

The show gave in sites to how the story was changed from the truths to make for a better movie for the American public. They talked about the construction of the ships of the day and how one was built to earn the name of Iron Sides from American trees. I enjoyed it and saved it to view again.

As you know this will repeat again and that is why I posted this so you will have time to find it for yourself.

PS
Last edited by Pond Sailer; Sep 03, 2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: update
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:27 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Pond Sailor's HMS Surprise was out on Spreckels Lake today. Looked mighty fine....

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
awesome!

Thanks for sharing the great photo Craig.

tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
Looks like they've made her their own.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
New Brace Tensioning System

Back to the Syren....

Been trying to figure out how to add under-deck brace tensioning without wholesale changes in teh system already installed.
Here's a possible approach using components already in place and adding spring or bungee loaded tension arms.

May mock this up to see if it works....
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Dan

Perfect timing!

Have ordered the necessary drum servos and starting to think about below deck layout. Still a few weeks away but have started planning.

Look forward to seeing your ideas of improving your existing system.

best regards
Tim
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Tim,
I was hoping you would come up with some super idea

Also see Jerry Todd's Constellation thread and his posts in other threads on ideas.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Dan

Looking at one of your servo schematics where you showed the eyelet's mounted on the mast, couldn't it be an eyelet or 's' hook attached to the floor with a spring that your control lines run through on their way out to the upper deck.

THIS IS VERY BASIC CONCEPT

The sprung eyelettes could be mounted on both sides of the mast. The spring tension, size etc would allow you to adjust the amount also by turning the threaded bolt up or down.

My only question is, does the tension need to be behind the servos as you have drawn.

tim

ps...just looked at Jerry's site. Looks like the same thing. : )
Last edited by TBowman; Nov 08, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Tim,
There are many variations on the bungee/spring approach.
The drawing you pulled for reference is a long abandoned approach. The lateral tensioning doesn't provide enough change in brace length. The triangular geometry is such that the max practical side pull adds too little additional L in the two sides of the new triangle relative to the hypotenuse. Pulling backwards doubles the change in brace length for each unit of pull by the spring/bungee.
If I remember right, you need about 4-5" of compensation.
Another factor is the third dimension for all the parts...for alignment of all the braces with their drums, and to have clear line run, the parts of the system need to be in about the same horizontal plane.
At the mast, where the braces turn 90 deg up and through the deck, there are four working sheaves (S&P x Course and topsail yards) built into a cartridge.
The cartridge is built as a separate unit that attaches to the mast with one screw to allow removal/service. I did not use the kit components.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
What Dan said, plus the spring will try to travel with the braces reducing their efficiency.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd