SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:57 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
Thank You Dan to share it with us newbies

I'll also apply your system om my S.T.

I hope it will work failproof by my.

Is it ever happens that the rope ran of the winch and why?

ps : mayby you can put these photo's in the topic "design details".It's very usefull.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:55 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Braces and Sheets on a Winch Drum

lucc,
The braces must be rigged with some way to take up slack that occurs as yards rotate. That prevents any problems with the lines coming out of the drums.
For the headsail sheets, there are no changes in slack as the sails go side-to-side, so this is not a problem on that winch drum.
The time when the lines can come off are when the masts and yards are taken down for transporting the model. When I take down the masts, I attach the braces in a way that keeps them under tension. If the lines hang loose, they can come off the drums.
This winter, I will take time to write more in the "details" thread.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
A good way to glue a winch drum assembly

lucc - here's an addition to attaching the CD discs when making the drum. In addition to three fine screws or pins as shown, I also use CA glue with baking soda as a filler/hardener.
I lay in some CA, then sprinkle baking soda over the wet CA. It sets up almost immediately. Add additional layers to build up a strong bond.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:56 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,844 Posts
http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_hub.html I have used this type of unit to mount wheels on servos, they work well...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Oct 08, 2010, 04:02 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
nice thing ,i didn't know it exist.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Winter doldrums...

Haven't posted any Syren stuff for quite a while. Found a whole file of old pics - a lot of closeups. Thought I'd post them for winter entertainment for those of us nearer the north pole...
Probably some repeats, but I think many are new posts...
Same pics in a slideshow (not very good quality)
Syren Pictures.wmv (1 min 35 sec)
Old Feb 08, 2011, 07:37 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
I love to look at photos of your magnificent ship. You have far more detail that shows up in the photos than when we are sailing because we are trying to concentrate on something other than the details. These are absolutely great.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
Once again, DanL, several of your closeups just look too real to be a model. Your hand-laid rope is beautiful. Well Done.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Feb 08, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:00 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
i totally agree and very much appreciate you posting every picture you have of Syren
The into the rigging shots are incredible, one is hard pressed to tell they are not from a real ship!!

And Dan, i`m right now in Qatar, perfect temps, outstanding sailing wind and a clear blue sea... but you know what the torture is ? The models are 3000NM from here
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:20 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
Thanks for posting the great pics Dan; I was having to work on mine just to keep the forum active.

Hehehe

They are great pics of a fine model.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
i'm afraid you got me.....i truly thought it was the real ship..........................................(and i'm still not convinced it isn't).......
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
Prefers a wet bottom
Directly over the center of the earth.
Joined Nov 2007
15 Posts
DanL, the only reason I am posting this reply to this thread is to keep it from disappearing from this Scale Sailboat threadlist, which it seems about to do. The excellent photos and information included is just too great to lose to thread heaven. Not to mention the excellent model on which this thread is based!
oyster34 is offline Find More Posts by oyster34
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Oyster - thank you very much.
Has been a busy year witha major move, etc etc, so not much new in the way of pics or sailing experience. But I really hope to sail Syren a lot this coming summer...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Firing Gun System - Multi Shot

Firing Gun System #1:
Here's a drawing of the system design so far. The concept and major components have been tested and all looks feasible.
More details as construction proceeds...

System consists of a delrin block machined with 5 barrels, lined with brass. Calling this the cartridge block. The other key component is the gun frame.

The cartridge block slides through the gun frame - one gunframe at each gunport.
So, stbd and port each have 9 guns with 5 shots each.

Ignition is with a thin nichrome wire that is replaced with each cartridge block reload. Replaceable approach is taken because having thick enough wire to be a permanent igniter slows the heating response and is not as reliable as a thin wire that "evaporates" when the current hits it. Also prevents situation of a failure mode where the heater wire stays "on" and something fries due to the high amp flow.

The blocks are advanced in the gunframes by a servo that moves all the blocks in unison. The blocks are linked to each other by adjustable threaded rods. Each barrel in the cartridge block, is, in turn, advanced into alignment with a "stub barrel" in its' respective gunframe. More on the advancing system later.
Actual firing of a rolling broadside is still controlled by a rotary switch.

More in post #2 as work advances.

Note - now there will be 90 BP loads onboard (vs 18 in the single shot gun system). I realize the potential risks. Don't try this at home....
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
This is absolutely great. I think Surprise will be on our side!
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper