HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by NoFlyZone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 04:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkmet View Post
I agree with all the great things said about the wonderful info provided in this thread. Now I wonder if there is a word processing expert here who can cut, copy, and paste the posts into a step by step process? I'd even like to print this out if it could be distilled. Anyway thanks again.

Vince
Thank you so much, Vince!
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:53 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Quote:
. Now I wonder if there is a word processing expert here who can cut, copy, and paste the posts into a step by step process? I'd even like to print this out if it could be distilled.
Vince
What exactly do you have in mind? I have limited time, but if you give me a little more direction I could possibly make it happen.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Aug 05, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2009
24 Posts
Well HT, the process sounded a little complicated to me as I read thru all those pages, but after running some examples the process really smoothed out got simple even for me. I'll just need to bookmark the thread for reference in case I get stuck in the future, then I should be alright. I should have done the practice before I posted.

Thanks,
Vince
vkmet is offline Find More Posts by vkmet
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Well HT, the process sounded a little complicated to me as I read thru all those pages, but after running some examples the process really smoothed out got simple even for me. I'll just need to bookmark the thread for reference in case I get stuck in the future, then I should be alright. I should have done the practice before I posted.

Thanks,
Vince
Hi Vince,

You must remember that running the practice exercises is the key. I really meant it at the beginning of the tutorial when I said it would be EASY to do it....

Chuck
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:45 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Chuck,

Thank you VERY much for this! I'm looking to order a couple of airframes, and as you allude to, the whole "which motor / which prop / which esc / which pack" mystery has yet to "click" for me. This tutorial makes that MUCH simpler! I understand I may not maximize every last ounce / watt / amp using this info, but it's my understanding that it'll certainly get me "in the ballpark", correct? I figure that will be just fine, until I gain enough experience to know what I need to mess with, and why!

Thanks again!
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
Chuck,

Thank you VERY much for this! I'm looking to order a couple of airframes, and as you allude to, the whole "which motor / which prop / which esc / which pack" mystery has yet to "click" for me. This tutorial makes that MUCH simpler! I understand I may not maximize every last ounce / watt / amp using this info, but it's my understanding that it'll certainly get me "in the ballpark", correct? I figure that will be just fine, until I gain enough experience to know what I need to mess with, and why!

Thanks again!
Hi moto,

Thanks for the compliments! Now, as for getting you in the ballpark, etc.... let me just say this.

I wanted to build a HobbyZone Super Cub (AUW 23 ounces), only with this plane, I wanted to maximize thrust, and minimize the current draw on my battery. In other words, I wanted the MOST thrust, for the least current. I also wanted to be able to fly it around at 44-45 mph.

3 minutes with WebOCalc, using the same technique I outlined earlier in the thread produced the combo I needed.

A stump pulling 40+ ounces of thrust (hard unlimited vertical) from a 3s, and uses just under 16 amps from my battery. I just finished it this week.

EVERY plane I outfit (and I have a lot), WebOCalc gives me the package for it....

Chuck
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:11 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2010
12 Posts
Thank you so much Chuck for this tutorial, reading this has made more sense and is so much more helpfull than the screens of pages I've read about what motor/prop/battery combo to use. I now finaly have no need to understand every nuance of kv, power to weight etc and have the basic understanding I so needed, lol. Brilliant post, very helpfull. Thanks alot. Im now going to try and work out what prop and motor etc I need to use on an ugly painted guan li spit I have. It was brushed, not enough power to fly, I have a motor but going to see what webocalc says. Where can i download webocalc or should i just save the whole webpage, lol (for use offline)?
Chiosex is offline Find More Posts by Chiosex
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hang on, I'll get you the link...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/

Click on "Software", then "WebOCalc", then download the latest version.

Thank you very much for the compliment! Like I said with the very first post, it was going to take all the black magic and 'secrets' out of the selection process...

Chuck
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Great tutorial.
Here is an example of something a little bigger that I'm playing with. This plane orginally was going to fly with a DA-50 gasser.

Scale P-51
AUW 31 lbs
Wing 84 inches
Wing Area 1222
Batteries Lipo 12s 5000mah 30c
ESC Castle HV 160
Motor Hacker A80-8

The WebOcalc answer was "flys like a brick".
Curious, what do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Swanson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Swanson
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swanson View Post
Great tutorial.
Here is an example of something a little bigger that I'm playing with. This plane orginally was going to fly with a DA-50 gasser.

Scale P-51
AUW 31 lbs
Wing 84 inches
Wing Area 1222
Batteries Lipo 12s 5000mah 30c
ESC Castle HV 160
Motor Hacker A80-8

The WebOcalc answer was "flys like a brick".
Curious, what do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

WebOCalc wasn't really designed for specialty applications such as your 31 pound warbird with 7 foot wingspan. WebOCalc's assessment most likely comes from (among other things), the fact that it's got a 37 mph stall speed, and would most likely be really having to zip down the runway at a good clip just to get airborne. Maybe something like 50 mph? I didn't see where WOC assessed it as "flies like a brick", however.... It did say, in my calculation, that it flew like a 'lead sled', meaning heavy, and with a speed envelope somewhere between about 50 and 120 mph, which means a really big area need to fly it, among other things.

Chuck
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Sep 06, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:49 AM
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Thanks Chuck,
I had a feeling it might not work.

jim
Jim Swanson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Swanson
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
Waltham, MA
Joined Aug 2010
77 Posts
Seriously Chuck, thanks for this.
Yet another RC noob here. Prior to this, everything I've read on the subject has simply given me a headache. This tutorial was a great big dose of aspirin!

I feel a lot more confident now in choosing power setups for all the airframes I'm itching to build.
fotoflojoe is offline Find More Posts by fotoflojoe
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflojoe View Post
Seriously Chuck, thanks for this.
Yet another RC noob here. Prior to this, everything I've read on the subject has simply given me a headache. This tutorial was a great big dose of aspirin!

I feel a lot more confident now in choosing power setups for all the airframes I'm itching to build.
Thanks foto,

The REAL credit goes to my mentor flieslikeabeagle, who wrote WebOCalc. My only contribution to spreading the wealth of knowledge was to take the time to lay a foundation, and then step through the basics of using WebOCalc.

He really did all the hard work....
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
10 Posts
What about the different versions of motors of the same kV? How do you know which one to select and what does the different number mean?

Example:
TR 35-30C 1100kv Brushless Outrunner (Eq AXi 2808)
vs
TR 35-36C 1100kv Brushless Outrunner (Eq: AXi 2814)

The 35-XXC is different? What do the "C" numbers mean?

Thanks in advance!
chowellatc is offline Find More Posts by chowellatc