Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:20 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,101 Posts
Discussion
Club Winch rebuild in process

Finally tore down the club winch Aaron and I have, and took the motor out for a rebuild. I took it to a shop near my work - "San Jose Generator and Starter". I heard it was an old school repair shop, with great customer service, and they were right. The owners name is Rod Stewart .... really.... and he's a great guy.

The commutator on the club winch was beyond repair, and a new armature was ordered. I told Rod what the motor was for, and I had heard there was a 23 segment commutator and a 25 segment commutators available, and 23 was the preferred model. Rod called up his supplier while I waited and confirmed there were 2 types available. His supplier then told him they both have the same part number, and "you get what you get". Rod told his supplier I wanted a 23 segment and to "get off your butt and go count the segments"...... we got the 23 segment.

A couple of days later, Rod called me to let me know the motor was almost ready, but the bearings were a little rough, and we should change them out now while the motor was apart. I'm currently waiting for bearings to arrive, but I hope to have the winch out at Dartmoth next Sunday. After that it's available if the club wants to put it back in contest rotation.

Story to be continued, but hopefully there will be a club winch in the Dartmoth flying pics next week.

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:21 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,101 Posts
Oh yeah - anybody got a part number for the solenoid on the winch? I'd like to get a new one while I'm at it.

Bruce
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:45 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,101 Posts
Bearings came in today, I'll drop them off in the morning. I had to ask the Winch Doc which bearings to get, because the part number shows double shield, and the bearings we pulled out have a single shield. Doc said he pulls one of the shields and puts in grease fittings because people want to "maintain" thier winches. In reality, you could leave both shields on and never grease the bearings. In fact, it would be worse to over grease than to never grease the bearings.

Rebuilt winch on Sunday ( no rain, no rain, no rain! )

Bruce
Old Nov 06, 2009, 09:06 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,101 Posts
Winch is up and running. If it doesn't rain, I'll have out at Dartmoth this Sunday for all to test.

Bruce
( who figures steel and aluminum and copper is a composite too! )
Last edited by blewis01; Nov 06, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: badd spelin
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
274 Posts
Bruce,
Thanks for taking care of this repair. It's so quiet now! It worked well on launching me Gentle Lady and didn't tear the wings off which means I have another week to fly!
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt