HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2009, 03:20 PM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Cockpit SX M-Link 2.4GHz

Hi, I'm looking for people's views and experiences on this radio, which is just starting to ship in Europe. Also, does anyone know when the M-link telemetry range will expand because currently the telemetry on these radios seems to be limited to receiver battery voltage monitoring?
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 03:46 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
Hello natterjak
I belive that the rcmf.info, http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?action=forum#22 must be the best place to visit if you are intrested of the Multiplex-line in europe, beside RC-Network http://www.rc-network.de/forum/index.php, but than you must understand German Language.

As for the radio itself I can really recommend it. It has to be one of the very best radios out there, easy programming, and affordable price.
As gliderpilot I have used one for a couple of years and I was very happy with it. Five out of five stars.

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:10 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Thank you Ville, mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, so I will have to go and look for info on RCMF.

Still interested to hear from any other RCGers who have good or bad experiences with this radio.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 03:12 AM
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natterjak View Post
Hi, I'm looking for people's views and experiences on this radio, which is just starting to ship in Europe. Also, does anyone know when the M-link telemetry range will expand because currently the telemetry on these radios seems to be limited to receiver battery voltage monitoring?
If you are interested in the Cockpit SX features, look here:
http://www.rc-soar.com/multiplex/cockpitsx/index.htm

Afaik there is no real world experience with the cockpit sx mlink so you have to wait a little longer. Sorry.

lg
maikoflyer is offline Find More Posts by maikoflyer
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:06 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
I've been learning a little more about this radio today and it seems my earlier assumption was incorrect. Looks like Multiplex have designed it to be unable to display telemetry from the add on sensors which will later come into the range, so the only telemetry it has is receiver battery voltage monitoring. Somewhat limited really, but I suppose they want to keep an upgrade incentive to maintain the superiority of the Evo range otherwise everyone will be buying Cockpit SXs.

I didn't mention before but I have one of these which has been sent to me for review purposes, so just casting around for other people's experiences as well to make sure I don't miss anything. First impressions are I love the physical design, it feels so right when you hold it.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:18 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
I've been learning a little more about this radio today and it seems my earlier assumption was incorrect. Looks like Multiplex have designed it to be unable to display telemetry from the add on sensors which will later come into the range, so the only telemetry it has is receiver battery voltage monitoring. Somewhat limited really, but I suppose they want to keep an upgrade incentive to maintain the superiority of the Evo range otherwise everyone will be buying Cockpit SXs.

I didn't mention before but I have one of these which has been sent to me for review purposes, so just casting around for other people's experiences as well to make sure I don't miss anything. First impressions are I love the physical design, it feels so right when you hold it.
The Cockpit SX isn't perfect - but it's pretty close - closer than anything else in it's price range thats for sure and physically, so much better than the Japanese Juke Box / Play Station approach!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
If only they had included full telemetry, instead of restricting it to receiver battery voltage only.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
Monaco
Joined Dec 2006
121 Posts
Set comes with no charger or charger cord !

I just recived mine and to my amazement no charger or charging cord is provided.

However if you have an old IBM PC AT keyboard, that has a 5 pin DIN plug that will fit into the multi function DIN socket next to the antenna

Link to Multiplex cord pin out http://www.wherzog.de/eflug/Kabel3030.htm

I purchased mine because I really like the ergonomics of the joysticks for thumb operation. I have always been using thumb and forefinger for each joystick. Hopefully thumb only will improve my flying skills

My Tx collection is
DX-6 - bullet proof with 3300mah battery
DX-7 - missing sliders for the other channels
JR9303 - Was not easy to program, but it seems it can do nearly everything.

On the JR9303, I now have a electric sailplane full house setup that will do fully adjustable camber and reflex, simple ailerons, full span ailerons as well as crow, but I have yet to test fly it. Ergonomics are not great, which is why I got the Cockpit SX which hopefully will work well for those long slope soaring flights of more than 1 hour
EuroDriver is offline Find More Posts by EuroDriver
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
It is the single best feeling transmitter I've ever held in my hands. And the programming architecture is pretty neat too. Enjoy!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Somewhat limited really, but I suppose they want to keep an upgrade incentive to maintain the superiority of the Evo range otherwise everyone will be buying Cockpit SXs.
That is a huge advance being able to have a readout of the rx battery on yout transmitter - so I find it surprising that you say it is limited.

Yes I'd like a fuel level gauge for my jet turbines but .................rx batetry level is a good tool!
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorywquin
Yes I'd like a fuel level gauge for my jet turbines but .................rx batetry level is a good tool!
You could always rig up a little bit of electronics to drop the receiver volts by 0.5 V when the fuel tank is nearly empty.
TheAdrian is offline Find More Posts by TheAdrian
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:29 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorywquin View Post
That is a huge advance being able to have a readout of the rx battery on yout transmitter - so I find it surprising that you say it is limited.
A huge advance compared to no telemetry at all, but hardly competitive with the capabilities of the latest systems from IFS, Jeti, Weatronic and the soon to be released Hitec Aurora Fuel station. Neither does it offer the bulk of the telemetry functionality of M-Link, as described on the Cockpit SX M-Link product page on the Multiplex website:

"Additional external sensors (e.g. voltage, current, temperature) can also be connected to M-LINK receivers designed for this facility."

In my view it's somewhat misleading to write that on the Cockpit SX M-Link page when the product doesn't actually support the functionality.

Fact is, the radio market is moving to ever more sophisticated systems incorporating telemetry to measure every conceivable parameter and the "best" systems are distinguishing themselves with data logging to allow flight data to be reviewed on a PC later. With "only" RX voltage display the SX M-Link cuts the mustard today, but will it still be competitive in 2 years time? In 5 years?
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:46 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,104 Posts
I've beem looking at getting a better TX since I bought a full house gider last year. I think this will pretty much do what I'm after, and a competitive price against other makes too.

How does Multiplex's 2.4g system compare to the others?

Still quite a few people complaining about brown outs on the Spektrum. I use a DX6i at the moment, and have crashed a plane due to this, luckily it was a Zagi, and although it cartwheeled it's guts everywhere, was soon back in the air. Unsure of the cause, the rx went back in, only for it to happen again . Got the rx replaced but thankfully the rx didn't go into one of my better planes for this to happen.

I'd have liked the DX7 as I have 10 rx's for the Spektrum, and could have simply sold the DX6i to part fund it, but I don't think it's as capable as this TX.

Eurodriver, have you managed to set the SX up for your full house glider yet? Would be interested in some feedback on this. Thanks
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:14 PM
Monaco
Joined Dec 2006
121 Posts
Set up but not flown yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I've beem looking at getting a better TX since I bought a full house gider last year. I think this will pretty much do what I'm after, and a competitive price against other makes too.

How does Multiplex's 2.4g system compare to the others?

Eurodriver, have you managed to set the SX up for your full house glider yet? Would be interested in some feedback on this. Thanks
I have set up the SX for a Robbe Arcus sport, and also recently set up a 9303 for a Cularis

The 9303 is in another league, but the SX holds its own for ergonomics and simplicity.

On the SX I have the left hand slider set up to do camber and reflex. At the mid point of the slider there no deflection - simple and effective

On the 9303 I was able to set up camber or reflex depending on the flight mode, and then use the left slider to adjust the volume of the camber/reflex. More fine control possible, but also more complicated

On the 9303 I was able to mix the aileron deflection into the flaps to get full span strip ailerons, I was not able to figure how to get the SX to do this

Hope above helps
EuroDriver is offline Find More Posts by EuroDriver
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:11 AM
Almada - Portugal
Joined Oct 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
I have set up the SX for a Robbe Arcus sport, and also recently set up a 9303 for a Cularis

The 9303 is in another league, but the SX holds its own for ergonomics and simplicity.

On the SX I have the left hand slider set up to do camber and reflex. At the mid point of the slider there no deflection - simple and effective

On the 9303 I was able to set up camber or reflex depending on the flight mode, and then use the left slider to adjust the volume of the camber/reflex. More fine control possible, but also more complicated

On the 9303 I was able to mix the aileron deflection into the flaps to get full span strip ailerons, I was not able to figure how to get the SX to do this

Hope above helps

9303 is in the same league of the EVO, but the cockpit sx can do it, you have to enable the mix AI->F, page 39 chapiter 14.7.3 in the operations instructions.

Hope this help you.
Rpinto is offline Find More Posts by Rpinto