RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,257 Posts
Discussion
eRC Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

eRC Micro P-51D Mustang Ridge Runner III RTF

2.4 GHz radio & 2 batteries - everything included for $99.99
Micro P-51D Mustang "Ridge Runner" is the first in a series of authentic Micro Warbirds from eRC. 14-1/2" wingspan, 13-1/2" long, 35 sq. in. wing area, 1.1 oz. flying weight. Ready to fly right out of the box. Comes with 2 flight batteries to keep you flying. The transmitter is a 2.4 GHz 4-channel radio. The P-51 is completely built and decorated in authentic Ridge Runner III colors and includes a pre-installed geared, brushed motor, receiver and proportional servos.

Model can be flown indoors or outdoors in calm winds. Designed with the sport flyer in mind - pilots will enjoy the stable flight characteristics, durability, and great scale details. Landing gear are removable, airplane can be flown with or without it. Use the included display stand to showcase your WWII Fighter.

Micro P-51D Mustang Highlights:

* Comes with everything needed to fly, all in one box
* Realistic scale features include clear canopy, strut covers, and authentic graphics
* Includes 2 single-cell Lithium batteries that charge from transmitter
* 3-Channel control: throttle, ailerons and elevator
* Proportional servo controls for smooth, responsive flight
* Geared motor with plenty of power for ground take-offs
* Lightweight, durable foam construction
* For sport to intermediate pilots
* 8 to 10 minute flight times
* Display stand included
* Complete line of replacement parts available

Micro P-51D Specs:

* Wingspan: 14-1/2"
* Length: 13-1/2"
* Wing Area: 35 sq. in.
* Flying Weight: 1.1 oz.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Last edited by Jason Cole; Nov 02, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:39 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
Jason - can you confirm that the batteries for this plane are NOT compatible with the Vapor battery? Looks to me that someone reversed the connector.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,257 Posts
In their stock form that's correct. For those who also have ParkZone planes and want to be able to use both batteries, they can call us and get up to 4 free adapters so it will be compatible.

Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:34 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Western Mass
Joined Feb 2008
412 Posts
Aileron Control Throw

Has anyone had success in adjusting the aileron control throw on this bird? I've taken off the belly pan and can see the linkages. I've poked and prodded a little but am concerned about breaking something. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
smrouss is offline Find More Posts by smrouss
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:03 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,257 Posts
The only way to do that would be to move the control rods farther out from the servo. You would need to make arm extensions and glue them to the existing arm. That's a little tricky with the small parts we're talking about here, but can be done.

Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
Mind if I ask - I broke a prop and ordered another. When I removed the old one, I may have pulled the shaft out too far? I don't know what is on the backside of the motor that holds the shaft, but the shaft now moves in and out by a bit. So much so that the pinion gear barely meshes with the motor gear. I can take pics if necessary. I didn't want to cut into the plane if I don't have to.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:10 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,257 Posts
Sounds like you pulled the shaft loose. You really need to hold the shaft with tiny pliers to pull the prop off safely. I suppose you could push the shaft back in and carefully apply some thin or medium ca to the shaft at the plastic gear to secure it.

Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
Thanks Jason. I don't think the gear is slipping on the shaft - it seems the whole shaft is sliding in and out from the motor. I didn't know if there was something on the back of the motor that secures it? I didn't want to cut the plane open if I didn't have to in order to check it.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:12 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,257 Posts
Weird, there nothing on the back of the motor. The shaft must be glued internally. The prop shaft and gear does have a plastic keeper on the back, so if that part is what's moving, you could get inside there and readjust the keeper so that the prop shaft stays farther back.

Jason
Administrator
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
That must be it. I suspected as much. I can pull the shaft out and feel it hit some kind of stop so I figured there must be something on the back side of the motor. Thank you Jason.

Anyone have a picture of the plane opened up?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:01 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Mind if I ask - I broke a prop and ordered another. When I removed the old one, I may have pulled the shaft out too far? I don't know what is on the backside of the motor that holds the shaft, but the shaft now moves in and out by a bit. So much so that the pinion gear barely meshes with the motor gear. I can take pics if necessary. I didn't want to cut into the plane if I don't have to.
What it sounds like you did was you pushed the prop on and in the process, the prop shaft moved back and the gear pushed forward. This will create slop and allow the prop shaft to move back and forth. If your prop is securely attached to the shaft, you can hold the prop and carefully push the gear back on the shaft until the slop is reduced. Just don't push til it binds too tightly. The prop shaft is not internally glued. There is a plastic knob at the end of the shaft that keeps it from pulling out. I had to cut a small hatch on the top of the plane behind the prop so I could put the knob back on to hold the prop in the plane.

I was changing the prop to an outdoor prop and I think the factory prop was super glued on the shaft. I had problems getting it off and ended up pulling the shaft all the way out by accident. So I ended up learning a bit about how the prop is secured in the P-51... the hard way. I hated cutting the top of the plane but that is the only way I could see it would do the least amount of damage. The model is banged up anyways from crashing into trees in my back yard. It's been windy the past week since I bought the plane and I've been impatient to fly it, so I pushed the envelope a bit lol. I just taped the cover back on with clear, thin shipping tape. I have not been able to try out the outdoor prop yet, way too windy today!

I hope this helped, sorry it's so long,
Jack
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
Thanks Jack - that was exactly the problem.

Where did you get the outdoor prop?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:07 AM
SAM Elec GrandChamp04,07,10,12
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,072 Posts
Here is the URL on the Hobby Lobby site to order the outdoor (higher pitch) prop.
Bad news is they are due in about Mid May

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/micro_war..._propeller.htm
Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:16 AM
SAM Elec GrandChamp04,07,10,12
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,072 Posts
Changing prop on Micro Warbirds

Here are some pictures of how I hold the shaft with some good long nose pleirs to change the prop.
Notice that you position the pleirs up from the bottom of the fuselage to
get more room for clearance of the nose of the pleirs.
Also their should be about 1/4" of shaft sticking out in front of the gear.
Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboone View Post
In their stock form that's correct. For those who also have ParkZone planes and want to be able to use both batteries, they can call us and get up to 4 free adapters so it will be compatible.

Jason Cole
Jason is this offer still valid? I bought two planes at the Toledo show.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member