HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by littlephoenix, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
For Sale
1970's Vintage Gas powered AMA Plane with guide lines on wing

i am only assuming this is from the 70's but a collector would know better, it could be older. I dont know much about this model but i do know it has a 45" wing span with a fox 35 engine, the guide lines seem to be working great, a little oil job will do teh trick, elevator works great, landing gears are perfect, a great collectors item, this was passed on from my grandfather who is no longer with us, i do not have room for this, so please PM me your highest bid and its yours.
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 01:52 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
That appears to be a Flitestreak.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDVF3&P=7

http://www.sshobbies.com/flstjucoliki.html

The motor is probably a Fox 35. Certainly a fox just not sure of size but given the 10x7 prop I'd say it probably is. Does it have 35 on the side of it? It has muffler lugs so it is a more "recent" vintage but I don't know when they first put those on the 35. The Fox 35 has been around a LONG time. Is it a film covering or painted? It looks really nice. Your grandfather was a talented builder. I'm sure he was very proud of this bird. Very pretty.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG888&P=ML

The prop is obviously broken but I'd replace it with a 10x6 and fly on all castor fuel (29% oil). Run it rich in a 4 cycle and it will break / burp into a 2 cycle in manuevers as required. What is the condition of the engine? It may be stuck. If so don't force it. There are ways to free it without damage.

I don't need another plane so I'll pass but I'm sure someone will love to get this bird. Again, it is a really pretty plane. Sorry to hear of your loss but I'm sure he is flying right now in a perfectly mowed circle with a perfectly trimmed plane that is giving him a perfect engine run with about a 5 mph wind. For control line guys, it just doesn't get any better. Best of luck.
johnbyrne is online now Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Last edited by johnbyrne; Nov 02, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
o thanks for the great info, i really had no clue what year this is from but ya it looks like one of these in the picture,
yes the engine seems to be stuck and of course i will not force it, and thanks for the kind words i wish i could keep it but i just dont have the room,
this seems to be half painted and half covered
thanks again for the great links
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:44 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
She is a nice bird. If you have no takers here you could join one of the two main control line forums and post it there. I'd request local pickup though. It will be very hard to ship this bird without damage (and high $$).

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php

www.stunthanger.com and follow the link to the forum.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne View Post
She is a nice bird. If you have no takers here you could join one of the two main control line forums and post it there. I'd request local pickup though. It will be very hard to ship this bird without damage (and high $$).

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php

www.stunthanger.com and follow the link to the forum.
wonderful, thanks for the links, i will do that for sure
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
how much do you think i should ask for this bird?
Old Nov 02, 2009, 09:16 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
Probably less that it is actually worth. Hard to get what these are worth if the truth be known. I'd say $100 plus or minus $25 to start.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne View Post
Probably less that it is actually worth. Hard to get what these are worth if the truth be known. I'd say $100 plus or minus $25 to start.
hmm so pretty much im better off just keeping it and finding it a place in the attic :P
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:45 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
Based on what I've seen these go for in the past this is probably true. It is a nice plane but collectors of c/l stuff want old kits typically rather than built planes. Built planes vary drastically in value. A simple profile plane like that and one that is available in kit and ARF isn't going to be worth that much unfortunately. On the other hand, a gentleman who is a very respected builder recently sold several high end scratch built 60 size full fuse planes with contest paint jobs and got over a grand for some of them.

Do you think you may ever have an interest in flying a control line plane? I'm sure we could find someone close by that would be willing to help you get the old gal back in the air. You would need lines, handle, and some all castor fuel. The latter may be the hardest to find and ordering gets expensive. A solution to this would be to sell the fox for $50 give or take and buy an LA 25 control line motor. Believe it or not the LA 25 is about the same weight and power as the old Fox 35. It won't give the 4-2-4 stunt run but it will fly the heck out of the plane like this. In fact, the LA 25 has sort of become the standard motor for this frame to many folks. The streak makes an excellent trainer and then stunt pattern trainer. It will fly the entire PA patter ... not super well granted but it will fly it none the less. My original trainer (Sig Skyray) wouldn't do that.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded answer.
John
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:53 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,199 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Nice little FliteStreak there. I've got one that's just as "vintage" as that one too. Matter of fact, I've got another one they called "RingMaster" too. They are really more nastalgic after so many years of not flying... both have flown... and flew well..

Unfortunately they probably aren't worth alot on the market.. I'd say JohnByrne is right in the ball-park.. if that.. so your probably better of to keep them. I've got mine way up in my garage, out of the way, but so you can see them nicely..
I don't think I would fly either of these anymore.. as they've been around about 20yrs now, back when some friends and myself were into C/L... and this type of model goes back to the '60's and '70's..if memory serves me.. and they were somewhat mainstream, as this was before RC was affordable to the masses, as it is today. Anyone with C/L experience would appreciate them.

There are still kits somewhere of the FliteStreak.. and they are GREAT flying control-liine planes.. absolutely incredible.. especially if built with flaps.. they can turn very sharp and quick.. so they are a very worthy model to own.. for sure.. just dust it off every once in a while, talk to it nicely, and it will stay nice for a looong time.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:00 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
Yet another link. I couldn't find this thread before. Should help you determine which Fox 35 it is if you want.

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...ng_type=search
Old Nov 03, 2009, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,199 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
That's good info John.. I've got a Fox.35 on my Ringmaster, it would be interesting to know.. I think it's from the '80's really.. can't even remember where/when I got it.. my FliteStreak has the old and trusted powerhouse.. K&B Stallion.35 that I got when I was a kid...
I haven't messed with C/L in years.. still nice to chat about though.. those were good times.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Nov 03, 2009, 03:33 PM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Joined Oct 2003
567 Posts
Trader Rating: 95
Do they still fly the control line pulse jets??
viflyer is offline Find More Posts by viflyer
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:24 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,084 Posts
We are off topic so I apologize and if we want to continue discussion about pulse jets we can in the control line forum.

But to answer the question - Yes
My flying buddy has one and I start it for him. Makes a massive sound
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:25 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
794 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
I flew Top Flite Flite Streaks in slow combat in 1973 when the rules were still the 5" nose and hard tanks, etc. ARF flite streak went for $100 later in life and Fox .35 is about $50 used, but parts are still around. We also flew them in sport race at the Nats with skinny airfoils ( first designed by David Decker and perfected by Pat Matson) and took home some hardware. Fox .35 on one flip start w/9-7 prop is pretty cool.
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004