HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jbourke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Discussion
Pics from Steve Ellison in the Horizon Hobby Extra 300

When I started flying "full scale" aerobatics, I was delighted to learn that I wasn't the only R/C industry figure to make the jump.

Steve Ellison, of Horizon Hobby, lives in Salem, Oregon just a half hour or so from me. He flies an Extra 300 which he has decked out nicely in his favorite logos.

Steve has a few years of experience on me and is the stronger pilot. We haven't had much of an opportunity to fly together yet, since Russian Thunder has spent so much time in the shop, so Steve sent me some pics during a practice session in Madras, Oregon.

Steve tells me he is excited about working toward further proficiency and hopes to someday get his aerobatics waiver to perform airshows. We're two peas in a pod, I guess.

I have some news on Russian Thunder. I purchased an engine from Jill and Carl at m-14p.com. It is scheduled to be installed next week. Hopefully, I'll be back in the air again soon. It's been a long wait. I still haven't said much about the shaky test flights I "enjoyed" over the summer...maybe I'll get to it next week.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 08:36 PM
Glider Geek!
Escalon, CA
Joined Oct 2004
142 Posts
Didn't that airplane used to belong to Rocky Hill of San Jose, CA?

Shawn
lenci1938e is offline Find More Posts by lenci1938e
Old Nov 03, 2009, 06:08 AM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,923 Posts
I believe you're right.. I thought it looked familiar.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:48 AM
Lost a wing? KNIFE EDGE
United States, CA, Newport Beach
Joined Jun 2006
113 Posts
Im thinking darn thats some really scale work... Then i realized...
Hobbyzoneflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hobbyzoneflyer
Old Nov 05, 2009, 12:19 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Sweet! I just spent some seat time in an AT-6 that had only 4 hours on it since a total restoration. Gotta get past the vertigo on the consecutive rolls....... don't know how some of these folks do it. The Gs are fine, but I found that my limit is 4 consecutive rolls in the same direction.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 05, 2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Sweet! I just spent some seat time in an AT-6 that had only 4 hours on it since a total restoration. Gotta get past the vertigo on the consecutive rolls....... don't know how some of these folks do it. The Gs are fine, but I found that my limit is 4 consecutive rolls in the same direction.
That's a lot of rolls!

When you start rolling vertically, things get confusing very fast.

Jim
Administrator
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:04 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Man that would be a hoot. Your such a lucky guy!
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
That's a lot of rolls!

When you start rolling vertically, things get confusing very fast.

Jim
I think visually, things were fine. At first my axial rolls were more like a barrel roll, I had to remember to not be back on the stick when I went to the side. It's the after effect of still feeling like I'm spinning even after nailing the stop of the rotation. I still feel funky for a week afterward. In fact, we went on vacation right after that and I took my son to a place called Wonderworks. Once you pay, you have to walk a catwalk though this spinning outer tube. In less than a second, I was falling toward the floor from re-activating the vertigo. If i can't get past that, my hopes of full airbatics isn't gonna work.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Quote:
If i can't get past that, my hopes of full airbatics isn't gonna work.
I suppose it isn't for everyone, but so far I haven't met many people who can't get over the initial sickness and disorientation.

When I first started, there were many flights where I thought I might hurl on the way back to the airport. The physiological demands are much higher than most people realize.

Over time I learned about my tolerance, and how to work within that.

So if it is something you love, it makes sense to stick with it until you see what your body can allow. A lot of the illness and disorientation has to do with how your brain is trained. Once your brain understands that it's OK for the world to spin around, it stops triggering the nausea circuit.

When that happens you say "Thanks Brain!" and do more rolls!

Jim
Administrator
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:50 PM
FLY FREE
chicago
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
One day, after I fulfill my dream of winning the regional IMAC and TOC & ETOC, I'm gonna buy myself a Sbach 342 (the plane of my dreams) and also perform in airshows.

Check me out flying r/c on YouTube: username RCFlyingBoy2009.
(my vids on utube are a bit old since I haven't flown a lot lately, but I'm better than what I was back then!)

-13 year old Chicago pilot,
Patric.
Rcflying boy is offline Find More Posts by Rcflying boy
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflying boy View Post
One day, after I fulfill my dream of winning the regional IMAC and TOC & ETOC, I'm gonna buy myself a Sbach 342 (the plane of my dreams) and also perform in airshows.
Not sure if you saw, but somewhere in my blog I have pictures of me sitting in the cockpit of the Sbach 342.

It is a very comfortable airplane and one I would very much enjoy as well. I didn't get a chance to fly it, unfortunately.

That's a nice set of dreams you have. Never give up on them.

Jim
Administrator
Old Nov 06, 2009, 07:23 AM
United States, IA, Calmar
Joined Sep 2009
2 Posts
Past people that moved to full scale acrobatics include Phil Kraft of Kraft radio and Glen Sigafoose of Sig Manufacturing. Kraft was a world class RC pilot and designed a full size acrobatic plane. Glen had several planes including a Pits he was killed in during an air show.
Merle
Iowa boy is offline Find More Posts by Iowa boy
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
My father sold Phil Kraft an airplane. It was my first exposure to the R/C industry. I'm guessing I was 5 at the time.

Jim
Administrator
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
I suppose it isn't for everyone, but so far I haven't met many people who can't get over the initial sickness and disorientation.
That's the odd part. I wasn't ready to hurl. I had a dizzy feeling that caused me to lose my balance. It gave me a headache, but not the feeling of ready to barf. Reminded me of the bed spins from too much to drink in my college years, just no nausea.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Quote:
That's the odd part. I wasn't ready to hurl. I had a dizzy feeling that caused me to lose my balance. It gave me a headache, but not the feeling of ready to barf. Reminded me of the bed spins from too much to drink in my college years, just no nausea.
Hmm...if I understand what you are describing, they call that the "wobblies" and it usually shows up when you start doing a lot of negative Gs. That doesn't sound like fun. I can only imagine how discouraging it must feel.

I've never had that problem, exactly, but have found myself with slurred speech and shaky hands once or twice.

I suggest you talk about it with a physician who specializes in aviation medicine. The human body isn't designed well for aerobatic forces, but every aviator has his own limit, and I understand there are ways to build up tolerance for all the physiological effects.

Jim
Administrator