HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2009, 07:09 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Yippee!
1/72 A6M2 Zero Pictures and NEW VIDEO Posted

Couldn't help myself it had to be done. I drew up my own zero in the white war paint. Thanx to others on these forums for pictures so I could get some detailing in the model tho it's hard to see in the pictures it's fairly detialed.
AUW is 2.8G With 20Mah battery
WS 6.25"
Plantraco butterfly RX
Homemade 75 ohm Act
4mm corless motor 32mm prop
Glide tests were testing my resolve for a bit, but I got it worked out nicely has a long, smooth, level glide now.
Cant wait till tomorrow to maiden it. I hope I can get atleast some stills of it in the air but I'm hoping for video.

Doom
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Last edited by epicdoom; Nov 04, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2009, 07:50 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
its always nice to see the 1/72 stuff Looks good, maybe add just a touch more dihedral...
Heliman420 is online now Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:26 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Was thinking I'll need a bit more dihedral will see how she turns tomorrow I can add dihedral easily because I used UHU por for the wing and Ele. assy. Did some low powered glides through the house was nice. Will have to take it easy on the rudder it has full throw so I may end up limmiting it at some point. Will see tomorrow.

Joe
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:35 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Since you went with a scale rudder most likely you will have to fine tune it.. are you using a monolith with dedicated tx or the plantraco tx?

having a proper tx really helps, both of my current warbirds have 100% expo and epa adjusted for right and left. took a bit of fine tuning on each model..(probably about 5 flights) to get right.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:46 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
these small birds take very little rudder to turn, as big as your rudder is it will probably be pretty sesitive to input, just be gentle on the sticks. Good luck with the maiden
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2005
489 Posts
AUW is amazing!!
flybob1 is offline Find More Posts by flybob1
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:20 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Heli I'm using the Plantraco TX atm. I been thinking of getting the monolith and using my good TX. I have a nice digital 7ch Futaba radio I can mix and set rates as well as end points on. I think for these small planes it's gonna be a big plus. I'm pretty good with the Plantraco TX tho.

Micro slow and easy brother I have learned to gently use the controls. learned the hard way but I learned.

Bob it's .1 gram heavier then plantraco's spitfire But I used 3 layers of .020 durabatics for the fuse for strenth. I can cut out the canopy area loose the pilot and and simulated windows basicly skeletonize that whole canopy area to shave some weight.

Doom
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:14 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Cool, if all else fails you can just stiffen the hinge...
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:31 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Nice work Doom, looks like you glued the RX in place there, what are you going to do if the weight needs to be shifted a tad?

I just finished a build myself, a little 3ch modded cessna and the rudder authority is insane but i don't want to trim the tail down because the left turns are perfect so I'm going to restrict the amount of movement on my right turns with a thin strip of blenderm tape on the side.

I'll post some pics of it soon in a separate thread.
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Nov 02, 2009, 02:42 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Heya Vet I used clay prior to mounting the electronics to find what the plane wanted for nice level flight in a glide and then powered glide. I usualy use clay in the nose the same weight as the motor and prop and a second piece the weight of the RX with the battery and last a 3rd in place of the actuator and mag. I place those on the plane and move them around till COG is correct and the plane flies nice in a glide. Then I remove the clay install the motor,act and Rx where the clay was using tape then do power on glide if it looks good I mount the motor, act and RX using UHU por and only a drop on the RX it can easily be removed if need be by pulling with steady pressure and without damage to the airframe.

Well I took this little bird to fly today it was a bit to windy but I gave it a try anyhow. It left my fingers and was gliding to the the ground under full power then it started climbing and nicely I might add I brough it around and landed in my hand this time I launched it with a gentle push as if I were throwing a dart and it lept from my fingers into a climb rite away. I made about 6 figure 8's got her trimmed nicely and landed it on the grass in front of me. I picked it up and tossed it back into the air to find I had no steering I let it glide down thank goodness its balanced perfectly. looked and found the actuator wires broken away at the RX.
I have to say this plane flew better than any other in this scale I have built I cant wait to get back out tomorrow and fly it some more I fixed the Actuator wires and this time I gave them a bit of slack to the RX before tacking them in place live and learn. Anyhow I hope I can get some video tomorrow of it in the air I'm going to set my camera up and try to keep the plane in the cameras view hopfully it wont be to small to see it.
I was thinking this plane wouldn't like the full size rudder but it was perfect I started giving gentle nudges to the controls and found it was able to turn fairly good even at full throw.
It seems I'm getting it figured out as to whats needed to be done to get these little birds in the air. I'm compiling some Exp. from past planes and will hopefully be able to nail it down good then pass the info along to you good folks.

Doom
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:09 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Congrats on the succsesfull maiden its amazing how planes this small can fly so well, my best flying plane to date was a 1/72 spitfire (#4) flew better than my large 3ch-4ch models... not as capable but much more relaxing to fly.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:23 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Thanx Heli I got her all fixed up ready for some fun tomorrow. I'm amazed for sure this is the second 1/72 I have built that flew. I spent alot of time trying. lol Having built alot of planes in the 12''+ WS area these are by far the hardest planes to get it the air with good flight. I had no problems with the 1/48 scale even. I could build those they would fly no problem. I was all set to show the J3 tonight but broke the damn actuator wire and cant locate the end of it. I need to go get another candle so I can wind another one then I can see how that one will fly

Doom
Old Nov 02, 2009, 09:57 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
I got tired of my actuator wires breaking at the solder joint on the rx, so I started putting dabs of UHU on the joint and a little up the wire. It still alllows a little flex, but keeps the wire from breaking, haven't broke one since.
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:03 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,138 Posts
Nice Zero Doom!

And yes MicroTex that's a great tip. I use Uhu on ALL small solder connections. I put a dab and drag it along the wire. Makes a great strain relief on these tiny wires.
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:06 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,323 Posts
Epic,

Very nice.

Is that an Air Hogs tail rotor motor and prop?
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim