Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Excellent choice Pete!
You're gonna join us with build pics, riiiiight???
Sure will if I can get Brent to wake up and post some pictures of the ducting.

pete
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,750 Posts
you probably wont recognise the visual aspect of the cougar. i promissed my self not to get crazy, buti jsut had to. i love cougars, and there were a few things that bothered me, but ive just about got them worked out but i did not change the flying surfaces, so it will still fly like the rest of them...acccept for the speed part

i shortened the nose, made my own nose cone, extended the rudder assembly aft 1", re did the rudder tip, and adding a little top the inlet lips. oh and, probably make a new canopy im sorry, i just cant help it. also, its kinda my way of proving you dont need the cheater holes, so we'll see how that goes. as far as im concerned, the cheater hole should work great, but, that fod thing has to be killing thrust, all that turbulance going into the fan. so we'll see how the ducting works out. should have a real clean sound.

pete, i would think a storm would work really well with the limited inlet area. pics soon
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:15 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
you probably wont recognise the visual aspect of the cougar. i promissed my self not to get crazy, buti jsut had to. i love cougars, and there were a few things that bothered me, but ive just about got them worked out but i did not change the flying surfaces, so it will still fly like the rest of them...acccept for the speed part

i shortened the nose, made my own nose cone, extended the rudder assembly aft 1", re did the rudder tip, and adding a little top the inlet lips. oh and, probably make a new canopy im sorry, i just cant help it. also, its kinda my way of proving you dont need the cheater holes, so we'll see how that goes. as far as im concerned, the cheater hole should work great, but, that fod thing has to be killing thrust, all that turbulance going into the fan. so we'll see how the ducting works out. should have a real clean sound.

pete, i would think a storm would work really well with the limited inlet area. pics soon
And this is your idea of minimum mods. OK here we go again I'm clearing my bench and waiting for pictures. I will get even for this!!!!
Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:24 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
pete what ya going to do with a guy like that ....i dont know where he learned all this . he always built his plastic models straight from the box....proplem is he studied them all ,60+ planes hanging from the cielling,so now he knows how there suppose to look.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:39 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
pete what ya going to do with a guy like that ....i dont know where he learned all this . he always built his plastic models straight from the box....proplem is he studied them all ,60+ planes hanging from the cielling,so now he knows how there suppose to look.
Roger I have a pretty good idea where the talent came from. Problem is I haven't even seen the kit yet and he does great custom work so this should be fun now that I have all the time in the world to play. BTW think Arizona is on my list for a first vacation.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:41 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Oooh... careful with that...
Might not want to go back home!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:44 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Oooh... careful with that...
Might not want to go back home!
Wouldn't be the first time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:12 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,750 Posts
take it easy guys! im just a scale guy...drives me nuts to see a airplane that i really like not done quite right. so, im pratically forced by nature to change until im happy with it... i left the plastic models alone because they were accuarate!

had some computer problems, thats why im up so late. still not sure what the problem is. in any case, heres some pics, any place you see paint gone...i probably changed something! just about ready for a couple coats of thinned down z poxy. no glass, dont have the time. "trying" not to get carried away with the body work.....im also time limited...

pete, you should come, its a great event.

also, need to make a new canopy. what you see here is the stock one cut down a little. not quite the right shape. theres that sickness again...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:24 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Lookin' good so far!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:34 AM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Minor mods!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:46 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Now that looks good! I wished the Mig-17 was done this way.....the right way that is with ducting and true scale mods. Hell all of the lander stuff should be this way from the start. Yet when I complain all these guys yell at me and get pissed off!!!! I just want my moneys worth.

Brent I have not built my Lander panther yet. I need to do the same things to it ducting wise!!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:18 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
Obviously the Panther would lend itself well to Brent's mods!
But you gotta remember that he's running a little bit less than typical intake area, so plan on a slightly longer takeoff roll than the cheater version.

I know your position on cheater holes Lav. Believe me, I'm not taking a stab at you, but did you see it perform in the video??? Can't notice the *scale imperfections* when it's burning by at 95-100mph+ Not to mention, she obviously does not lack performance.
I'm eager to compare the Brent's Cougar with James' at AZ Jets. Either way, they're both gonna rip it up!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:49 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,750 Posts
mine is going to smoke pretty good i think. infact, im a little worried about the airframe to tell you the truth. a little wing flutter or something or stab flutter and its going to be foam bits! im hoping the z poxy will stiffin her up a bit. from the vid, looked like james was going about 100-110 maybe 115. but probably more like 110. im going to take a stab and say that this one will do ATLEAST 135, most likely more.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Well if anyone can get one of these doing 135 or more you could Brent. Am sitting back and watching the mods and the great modeling.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
you would be suprized what good ducting can do even with smaller fsa ....i thought my draken would suffer but it performs well ,and anybody that has seen Brent's alfa sabers with the scale nose ,knows how well those performed . just need the chineese to figure it out ,or make the planes a tad bigger , 70mm stuff has the power these days
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY