HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Discussion
Headplay Video Goggle Question

After browsing the threads on FPV video goggles, I decided on getting myself a pair of Headplay Video Goggles from all of the positive reviews. I was excited when I recieved them and read the manual however after putting them on I encountered a problem. First, I focused and set the IPD for each eye like the manual said. The image was crystal clear for each eye however when I looked at the displays with both eyes I saw a slightly opaque image somewhat off center of the same image. I set the IPD and Focus switches in all possible combinations for both eyes and tilted the headplays to try and get a better image but the image wasn't clear. Is this a sign of the headplays being defective and requiring me to return them or is there a way I could fix this?

Here are quick PS edited images of what I see when I look at the headplay display with both eyes:

shmo70 is offline Find More Posts by shmo70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:57 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
so when you look at the image one eye at a time, the image is crystal clear but when you open both eyes it becomes opaque and blurry ?
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Nov 01, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian View Post
so when you look at the image one eye at a time, the image is crystal clear but when you open both eyes it becomes opaque and blurry ?
Yea somewhat, it seems as if one image is slightly overlayed off center of the other image like my examples above show.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 02:45 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Aug 2004
108 Posts
My Headplay goggles do the same. The center lines does not seem to be parallel. My guess is when you see a 3 hour movie on the Headplay you end up with a massive Headache. But if you fly FPV for twenty minutes, you are(at least I am) so concentrated your eyes most likely do their extra best and adaptate so you will see a normal picture unless you did drink too much....
So it is irritant, but there is a difference between sitting on the couch and flying around....But if the misalignment of your HP is too big, I would send them back...

Rienk
flymetothemoon is offline Find More Posts by flymetothemoon
Old Nov 01, 2009, 06:19 PM
South West UK
Joined Jul 2009
136 Posts

????
sirocco is offline Find More Posts by sirocco
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:51 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
i dont get it... if you get a clear picture when you look only 1 eye at a time when you open both eyes you should get 2 clear pictures no mater what even if they dont overlap properly.

did you let someone else try them to see if they would get the same results ? just to confirm its not your eyes.

They are a real bit*h to adjust properly at first, I really hated it I almost glued the adjustments at the correct spot once I got it right but when you get used to it its pretty easy to do. They have to be PERFECTLY adjusted or the picture quality is horrible and you get a headache. I can watch a 3h movie without any problems, I've played computer games for longer than that with them. When you hook it up to your computer or when watching a movie the picture quality should be very good.

If all else fails and you and your friends get the same problems when using them just call headplay they will send you a replacement their customer support is excellent.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Well I had several other people test the headplay goggles and they had the same problem, which confirmed that my eyes were fine and the goggles were faulty. I emailed support with my problem and they said that it was due to misalightment of the lcd display most likely during shipment. However they said that my warranty expired a few years ago (I obtained these goggles from another person and not headplay directly). Therefore now I have faulty goggles and can't get a replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible fix other than trying to get used to it, I do not want to harm my eyes more. Are there any repair places that would check out the goggles and fix them for cheap? I do not want to have wasted money on a broken pair.
Thanks,
Shmo70
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
i would ask headplay how much it would cost for repair
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:24 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,382 Posts
While we're on the topic of Headplay goggles. Can anyone confirm whether the following two are normal for these goggles? What about other goggles like the EVG920?

1.You have mostly to look straight ahead or the video can darken a bit.

2.The video only fills about 97% of the screen. Even the Headplay menu does not completely use all of the screen.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Nov 11, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
Headplay said they do not have a repair facility because there was a low demand for repairs and thus they do not do repairs. Therefore I would like to manually repair the goggles instead of feeling like I wasted my money. I would appreciate any suggestions that would help me get the goggles fixed or possibly any instructions on how i can correct the misalignment.

Patricklupo, I also have to look straight ahead or the display would appear dark and the video seems to fill my whole screen even though both displays look misaligned.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:01 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
ugh ? if they dont do repairs then its on them to send you a replacement... the only time i had problems with mine was the connector issue which everybody has one day or the other, I sent it for repair and they did, I dont think it was a new visor it didnt seem new it looked like my old one
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
They said that they could give me a small discount on the next pair but they will not replace/repair my headplay pair so I'm on my own. Did anyone take their set apart yet? Does anyone know how the mirrors inside could become misaligned? Would aligning them again be an easy fix or will it require specialized tools ?

ALL TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
no one opened their headplay goggles here?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
67 Posts
No one can help me
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:53 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
If you want to send them to me I'll take them apart for you.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me