to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
OK, will do. Thanks again.
N/P.... I do like them better then stock and makes screwing the wings in a whole lot easier now.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,141 Posts
They certainly do....for most of my planes, I Loktited the shaft into the nut, but for the 70 Velox, it definitely works best to Loktite the shaft into the wing.....This is just how I like to do it...YMMV...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Was too busy editing....LOL.. But at least we agree which ones are good replacements.
Yes sir we certainly do...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Man, this plane takes some long screws to mount the motor(v1). I had some M4 at 75mm, still not long enough. Just ordered some 80mm, I think those should do it. If not, I'm not sure what to do. I couldn't find anything longer.
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:27 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
get stevet or some other machinist to make you some nice standoffs. then you can use four short bolts and if you have to pull the cowl off at the field your buddies will all compliment you.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
Man, this plane takes some long screws to mount the motor(v1). I had some M4 at 75mm, still not long enough. Just ordered some 80mm, I think those should do it. If not, I'm not sure what to do. I couldn't find anything longer.
Your running into the same issue I did. Ended up with some 80mm.

Which are hard to find...

Update: Just checked I have 85MM and those are what worked for me. Using the 5320 & the light backplate.

This is what I ended up with in regards to spacing and needed a few washers to get that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by livinma1; Mar 13, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:38 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
That's the same set up I'm running. Where did you find 85mm at? The biggest I can find are 80mm. It will be close, I'm hoping they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Your running into the same issue I did. Ended up with some 80mm.

Which are hard to find...

Update: Just checked I have 85MM and those are what worked for me. Using the 5320 & the light backplate.

This is what I ended up with in regards to spacing and needed a few washers to get that.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
That's the same set up I'm running. Where did you find 85mm at? The biggest I can find are 80mm. It will be close, I'm hoping they work.
Ironically there is a place down here that had them in stock for a railroad project. An he had to buy it by the thousands and unfortunately stuck with them.

call Fastenal in Tucker.. I think its 85 or 90mm. Ask him which one he purchased for a train project and thats the one you need.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=35401

I have so many different sizes on my work bench that I may of measured the wrong one. To give you a better answer I will have to take the cowl off. Which I have no issue with since I need to swap out to a 19x8 this week.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
get stevet or some other machinist to make you some nice standoffs. then you can use four short bolts and if you have to pull the cowl off at the field your buddies will all compliment you.
I can do that....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I can do that....

SteveT.
So what do these standoffs look like and how do you get your hands on them
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:07 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,141 Posts
Quote:
So what do these standoffs look like and how do you get your hands on them
Like these, (in any length needed) and I make them on my lathe... (That's how I get "my" hands on them)...as to how "you" get your hands on them, is to give me the exact length you need, and then you pay me a nominal fee via PayPal and I make them for you....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:25 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Like these, (in any length needed) and I make them on my lathe... (That's how I get "my" hands on them)...as to how "you" get your hands on them, is to give me the exact length you need, and then you pay me a nominal fee via PayPal and I make them for you....

SteveT.
Those look like the ticket. Finding the right screw is proving hard. Time for some measurements
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:07 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Got my first two flights out of the way. It flew perfect and Motrolfly 5320 just sounds mean in air. That motor has some crazy power! Overall very happy and can't wait to take it back out again.

My only complaint, the wing bolts. Those ara a pain to get in out. I need to find something different.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Got my first two flights out of the way. It flew perfect and Motrolfly 5320 just sounds mean in air. That motor has some crazy power! Overall very happy and can't wait to take it back out again.

My only complaint, the wing bolts. Those ara a pain to get in out. I need to find something different.
double check size, but get you some of these

http://store.aztechaeromodels.com/st...product_id=129

i just maidened my first plane with those, and they are amazing. i really like loctite-ing the threaded shaft into the wing, slide the wings on, then just tighten the head and you are good to go. works amazing better than the stock wing bolts, and they have very very thick rubber washers on them which compress and make sure you get a good tight fit
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption