jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:55 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
.... It is not THAT great of a deal now, because I can get the engine from Tower Hobbies for $260 (and free shipping) with their super saver club. ....I had finally convinced myself to give gas a shot on this one, now I have to decide all over again.
You got your synthetic happiness crushed by TBM. Just look at a shop where it is more expensive and do the comparison again, and then the problem is solved.

Anyone who has some time to kill should watch this:
Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions (34 min 10 sec)

This the same reason Ben makes all his previous customers suddenly unhappy with the purchase they made the week before becuse he lowers his prices in a sale.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
+1 the TED lectures are awesome. Always interesting.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:54 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
I somedays find myself just following links on youtube from one interresting thing to another... Only works if you start out with something good, and TED is a very good starting point.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Brilliant. I hadn't seen that before.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Economics is the new fad science. Tipping point, Freakonomics...

All fascinating.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:37 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Economics is the new fad science. Tipping point, Freakonomics...

All fascinating.
The guy who wrote Freakonomics is awesome. "We can reverse global warming with a well-placed nuclear weapon." Sweet.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
The guy who wrote Freakonomics is awesome. "We can reverse global warming with a well-placed nuclear weapon." Sweet.

maye 3?iran,iraq,and north korea?the global warming stops...cold.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,068 Posts
TED is great - recommend to all!
Joe
JK13 is online now Find More Posts by JK13
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:33 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post

maye 3?iran,iraq,and north korea?the global warming stops...cold.
That's not what it was about at all...much more scientific. His plan was using a nuclear weapon to release particulates into the atmosphere and block out the sun...I think, I haven't read his book, just saw him in an interview. It's definitely a last-ditch effort but really interesting.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:42 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,640 Posts
Another awesome (not) TED video:

World Science Festival: Bobby McFerrin Demonstrates the Power of the Pentatonic Scale (3 min 4 sec)
Last edited by cwojcik; Apr 14, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: I was mistaken...but it's still cool
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
That's not what it was about at all...much more scientific. His plan was using a nuclear weapon to release particulates into the atmosphere and block out the sun...I think, I haven't read his book, just saw him in an interview. It's definitely a last-ditch effort but really interesting.
oh i know,i was being sarcastically funny/stupid.

that idea tho about blocking out the sun is straight out of the final highlander movie.pretty cool.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,204 Posts
Guys I spoke to Jody at Valley View and like Ben said, there isn't enough difference in the side carb vs rear carb to make it worth waiting on the V2. Apparently there is an issue with the side carb that if you let it idle for several minutes and then raise the right wing it will die. The point here is that this only happens on the ground as you couldn't let the engine idle long enough in the air to reproduce this problem when your flying. Also I find myself always pulsing the throttle on my gasser anyway...

Bottom line, if you can get a great deal on the current version go for it.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Guys I spoke to Jody at Valley View and like Ben said, there isn't enough difference in the side carb vs rear carb to make it worth waiting on the V2. Apparently there is an issue with the side carb that if you let it idle for several minutes and then raise the right wing it will die. The point here is that this only happens on the ground as you couldn't let the engine idle long enough in the air to reproduce this problem when your flying. Also I find myself always pulsing the throttle on my gasser anyway...

MLT
I picked up a couple more for future projects
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post

MLT
Thanks MLT. I saw a video of this on youtube, but I wasn't able to find any information on a fix, or what causes it, or even really any mention of it anywhere else. Kind of disturbing really, but it did seem like the carb was loading up and them tilting it over just flooded it out. Good to know it is only an idle issue.

So I ordered one of these things, I am still kind of undecided on whether I will use it. Chances are I will. I am currently looking into the best way to quiet it down, as the consensus seems to be that it is pretty loud since the muffler doesn't really muffle. So far I have found that the canister is probably the quietest, but the pitts looks simpler and maybe not that much louder. Any thoughts from those in the know? I am a total noob at gassers, so I have a steep learning curve. I mean I know how to tune weed eaters, but it has been a while since I have really had to mess with one of those. I understand the principals and am fairly mechanical, but I am sure to have issues. That is why I have you guys, right??
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d