HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
1 or 2 threads protruding is fine, your good. And as far as how tight, as tight as you can get it without stripping or breaking the prop adapter shaft.

I've broken the shafts on 8mm prop adapters from tightening too much, as well as stripping threads on others. Now I tighten until just before the threads strip.
You tend to develop a "feel" after a while.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
The problem is that I can't keep the backplate from turning....holding it by hand. Are you holding the backplate using a pair of pliars or something else?
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
I wouldnt be comfortable with only one or two threads on a plane this size....but thats me.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:09 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
If 1 or 2 threads was all that the nut is On, I'd agree but,
If the nut is on, (and tight), it doesn't matter if you have 1 or, 100 threads showing, your not losing any thread strength.
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
The problem is that I can't keep the backplate from turning....holding it by hand. Are you holding the backplate using a pair of pliars or something else?
I hold the backplate by hand to start, but it seems to lock up once reach a certain point and does not turn.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:25 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Quote:
I use a small drill (like 1/16) to drill through the back plate into the adapter then cut off a small peice of the bit and insert. this acts as a dowel pin to keep it from rotating. works like a charm. I have also found wax to be a decent lubricant for the threads to keep from wrecking them and provide good clamping force w/o alot of effort.
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Most excellent advice Bill
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
If 1 or 2 threads was all that the nut is On, I'd agree but,
If the nut is on, (and tight), it doesn't matter if you have 1 or, 100 threads showing, your not losing any thread strength.
+1, the strength is in the diameter of the shank. And a standard nut is usually about the thickness of the threaded shank.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,222 Posts
Quote:
See you gots your spinner to close to the cowl!! Ok I had to use that one on you. Actually on some of my smaller planes when I used turnigy motors I made a spanner wrench to hold the prop adapter. It was made from 1/8" aluminum flat bar. It would slip in between the cowl and spinner/adapter.

Mine so far have been bitting good. If your slips, take it off and blow out the shavings so it can get a grip on things.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Had one gas flight, one deadstick, and now waiting on parts for my poor 72". To apologize to my poor SC for my stupidity, I sold the DLE and ordered up a Motrolfy. When I go to the field I want to fly any way that I want, not do laps for 20-30 flights. I don't have the patience for that .

As for the one benefit of gas - flight times - I ordered up a PL8 and a 24v 1300watt power supply. Now I can charge 6 packs at 5c and fly non-stop.

Sorry to hear about the plane. Good luck with the electric setup.

The biggest downsides of gas for me is "break in" and dead sticks.

I have a DLE 30 72 ready to go and maiden, I think a flying idle will help (around 2200ish).

The reason for my post, we have two guys at our airfield flying the Syssa 30cc Engines and they have been flawless for both guys. No deadsticks and plenty of power. I really see this engine as the 3DHS (quality) of 30cc gas engines. I have really been surprised how little attention this engine has gotten. After seeing them fly on a 68" Velox and Pilot RC SBach, I really wish I had gone this direction. (this engine does seem to like a smaller prop and more rpm though).

Just something to think about on the Gas side.

On a similar note, it would be really nice if there was a convenient way to break in these motors on a stand. The conventional wisdom is that this is bad due to heat (lack of airflow) and vibration. It seems to me the creative RC experts I read on RCG could solve this (wish I was one). Some form of vibration quelling stand and a big @ss fan. Get a couple gallons run through and tune without risking your airframe. Minor tuning once its in the air.

(sorry for the long post, but I felt it was important)
Brownie
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:41 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
My friend and I are running dle 30's on ours and I built mine first and it was my first gasser so I had no clue on tuning, I deadsticked 4-5 times then someone showed me how to tune, I also built my friends 72 with the exact same setup and tuned it on the ground before the maiden and it hasn't deadsticked once, it has ran flawlessly. I posted a video here a while back of Joe and Arron flying them, mine only had 1 1/2 gal. threw it and his only had around 5 flights on it so far.
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Sorry to hear about the plane. Good luck with the electric setup.

The biggest downsides of gas for me is "break in" and dead sticks.

I have a DLE 30 72 ready to go and maiden, I think a flying idle will help (around 2200ish).

The reason for my post, we have two guys at our airfield flying the Syssa 30cc Engines and they have been flawless for both guys. No deadsticks and plenty of power. I really see this engine as the 3DHS (quality) of 30cc gas engines. I have really been surprised how little attention this engine has gotten. After seeing them fly on a 68" Velox and Pilot RC SBach, I really wish I had gone this direction. (this engine does seem to like a smaller prop and more rpm though).

Just something to think about on the Gas side.

On a similar note, it would be really nice if there was a convenient way to break in these motors on a stand. The conventional wisdom is that this is bad due to heat (lack of airflow) and vibration. It seems to me the creative RC experts I read on RCG could solve this (wish I was one). Some form of vibration quelling stand and a big @ss fan. Get a couple gallons run through and tune without risking your airframe. Minor tuning once its in the air.

(sorry for the long post, but I felt it was important)
Brownie

Very good thoughts there Brownie. The benefits of the longer flight times with gas have been great for me, the only thing has been the needle fiddling and throttle curve fiddling has been a learning curve. Being able to get a good break in and tune has been really my fault to a certain extent b/c I always seem to be taking all my other 3DHS planes out and I feel like I can't leave them sit there all alone I am running an RCGF32 on a slick, and just ordered a syssa and very good to hear that you have seen some good experiences From everything I have seen about the engine I am quite excited to get this running on my 72
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
I am running an RCGF32 on a slick, and just ordered a syssa and very good to hear that you have seen some good experiences From everything I have seen about the engine I am quite excited to get this running on my 72
Excellent, please report back your experiences. The Velox is lighter, but the Pilot RC SBach is heavier and it hauls it around very very well. I think the 330 and the Slick would be great with the Syssa. A great quality motor for a great quality plane

Brownie
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
There is a thread on FG about the syssa on the 71.

Here it is:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=59341
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Im putting a Syssa on my new 71 Slick.....considering it comes with a pitts style muffler the price is not that much more than a DLE30 with a pitts.

I must say my 2 DLE30 side carbs have been as close to perfect as one could expect....I just want to try something different.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft