HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Aug 2007
247 Posts
Ahhh... I've been waiting for this one. I'll be preorder one as soon as they are made available.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:31 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
I hate to say it but I may just have to get a job

Rob
Hey, I have a job that keeps me Busy 5 days a week.

Rob, Tell me the secret that's kept you in planes, (up till now)...

Jorge61
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:36 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
A very smart wife

She married me so maybe that's not right But she does make good money

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
well,there it is,I need me a sugar momma
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
A very smart wife

She married me so maybe that's not right But she does make good money

Rob
And she hasn't Kicked you out of the new house yet????
(Have you have moved in)???
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:52 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
She has not kicked me out YET But once we are moved in, well, who knows

We took a bunch of boxes over today but the furniture will not be there until Tuesday.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:57 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post

The plane is, IMO, basically perfect, and I think people are going to enjoy it very much.
Ohhhh YEAH !!
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Cool.
I'm guessing that her Kicking you Out, will start when your planes start to, Infest the house...
(It's Nice to be the King of my castle).

Jorge61
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso View Post
Ohhhh YEAH !!
Dave, Grab a few Green bottles and, Go To Bed....
(I wish I'd been there, to see that 72" SC)...

George
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
Dave, Grab a few Green bottles and, Go To Bed....
(I wish I'd been there, to see that 72" SC)...

George
Gotta say it was a GOODER one man !!! One of the most excellent events I've ever experienced ('cept for the #%@%@ w i n d).
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:27 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Wind is your Friend. Wait for the badass videos of the KE Elevators. The 72 handled the wind just fine so no problem at all. When the wind picked up all of the 3DHS crew started hucking like crazy. The 70" size blew the crap out of stuff. 72" is defiantly going to be the sweetheart of the bunch when it comes out.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75 View Post
Scott,

Can you post your components you used other than the DLE 30 for the gas set up. I'm looking at doing something similar minus the cans. I'd like to keep it as light as possible yet still try gas. I know you did not use any external switches and maybe not ignition kill either. I don't think you even had the gas outlet on the outside since the top opens so easily. What are your recommendations for a light set up.

Ignition battery?
receiver battery?
Ignition regulator?
any thing else....

Thanks Joe
I use a 4-cell 750 mah NIMH on the ignition and get 5-6 15 minute flights. For the servos/rx, I use a 2-cell 2600 LiPo through a 10amp Smart-Fly Reg. That yields around 12 flights per charge, so way more than a days worth of flying. Both recharge in an hour or less, and I just bring two sets of charged packs.

The other obvious option would be a 2S A123 or similar and an ignition BEC. I had back luck with the TBM version, but Ben commented that the 42% products version is working great for him. May try one at some point.

FWIW, I believe that Ben is putting together a 42% products setup that will be ideal for this airplane. He might be able to comment more on it.

For me, I like the simplicity of pulling the hatch and unplugging my stuff, so I'll go switchless for now. So far so good.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:53 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,855 Posts
Its been posted before here or somewhere but on my 70" gas slick

4cell(4.8v) spektrum 1100mah NIMH pack on ignition but I just bought a hobbico hyrdrimax 2000mah NIMH and weighs slightly more. I have it plugged in a standard RX switch then to the rcexl opto kill. From the opto kill one lead goes to the igntion and the other to an AUX channel so I can kill the engine. The opto kill has a LED so I can see if the ignition is HOT. Works great and I'm using less than 100 mah per 10minute flight similar to Mr. Stoops.

For RX power I'm using a Hobbico 2100mah LIFE pack hooked up to a AR9100 power safe RX. It has a switch that fails to ON and the RX has heavy duty wires w/ EC3's on the ends. I switched the life pack to EC3 and using much less than 100mah per 10 minute flight.

So both packs will easily give me 15+ flights easily and I doubt I will fly more than 10 flights at the field. But like stoops said its not hard to put them on charge (like while you are flying a different 3DHS plane).

I open up the canopy, fuel it while looking at the tank, turn TX on, turn RX on then check controls, flip my AUX2 channel down on my DX7 which kills the igntion(COLD), flip the switch from the ignition battery to send power to the opto kill, put canopy on, then I can flip AUX2 UP to make the engine HOT so I can start it. Also both switches are inside the fuse and are easy to reach. But I put the fuel DOT on the outside to prevent any random drops from dripping in the nice fuse.

The plane DRY is 10lbs and a small 12oz tank has 1/4-1/3 tank left after 10minute flights. Its tempting to put a larger tank in it but I don't see the reason since 10minutes is plenty for me.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Last edited by HugoCraft; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jun 2009
592 Posts
Got the chance to fly Chris's (tho98027 ) 57" Extra yesterday for a few minutes and it is only the second plane outside of the sim that I've ever flown, first being my little 48" yak. It was AWESOME! So smooth and just felt locked in. I cannot wait for this 72" any longer dangit! haha. Chris if you see this, now you really for sure helped drain my wallet
kygreen229 is offline Find More Posts by kygreen229
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:25 AM
Bigger is better
Austin TX
Joined Jan 2001
908 Posts
I saw the 72 fly at TEFF both under the control of Ben and also Andy (with ben standing right behind him saying "no lower. no lower. no lower." the whole time )

I'm in on the pre-order. After seeing it in person, that will be my next plane, no questions.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange