HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
we fly a little harder than most . Mine is set at 6. I had it at 7 but hit LVC when I was pushing it really hard so I put the 6 to be on the safe side.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,164 Posts
7 minutes here.i usu have about 18-25% left in the packs depending on what I am working on
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:29 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
942 Posts
I just did a few searches and I did not find any good info on this subject so I figured I would ask.

What openings do I need to make for a electric setup for cooling? Do I need to cut out the back of the tunnel to stop a air dam effect. What cut outs on the bottom do I need to make?

Pictures would probably help. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:34 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
I just did a few searches and I did not find any good info on this subject so I figured I would ask.

What openings do I need to make for a electric setup for cooling? Do I need to cut out the back of the tunnel to stop a air dam effect. What cut outs on the bottom do I need to make?

Pictures would probably help. Can someone point me in the right direction.
I cut out the two pannels with the slots on them and was using those for awhile. I was recently experimenting with trying to find a way to bring motor temps down. I started with baffles and they helped a ton. I also cut out the 2 slots right behind the last plate i screwed on and it also helped a lot.

I will try to go get a picture.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:40 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
Pic
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:49 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Need to clean up my bench... Misplaced the screws that hold on my spinner to the backplate. Anyone know what size screws are used in the Extreme Flight 3 Inch spinner. I know a couple of you are using that same spinner.

Regards
livinma1 is online now Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:23 AM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I cut out the two pannels with the slots on them and was using those for awhile. I was recently experimenting with trying to find a way to bring motor temps down. I started with baffles and they helped a ton. I also cut out the 2 slots right behind the last plate i screwed on and it also helped a lot.

I will try to go get a picture.
Thanks for the pic Joe. It appears that you cut out the back of the tunnel. Is this correct?
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:28 AM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
942 Posts
On another note I was just outside playing with the watt meter with different props on my Motrolfly 310kv motor. I know from my slick that it is very nice on 8s with a 19x10 xoar. It puts out 2400 watts on a fresh battery and quickly went down to 2200ish on Sky Lipo 4000 40c.

I was also playing with the idea of occasionally running 6s for the bigger prop and torque. I tried a 20x10 and a 21x10 xoar. The 21x10 was putting out roughly 1600 watts of power at 60ish amps. Has anyone tried a 22 inch prop with 6s. I think I will try to fly with the 21x10 at some point but I wondered if it was worth even looking at a 22 inch prop.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:30 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Can someone tell me exactly which, what, and where I can get the extra spacers/bolts/hardware needed to mount a motrofly on the V2 kit?
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:37 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Can someone tell me exactly which, what, and where I can get the extra spacers/bolts/hardware needed to mount a motrofly on the V2 kit?
I wound up going with 6" of all thread (8-32). with washers and nylock nuts I bought at lowes. I used some of the spacers included in the kit along with some aluninum spacers I already had. I would like to add a second X-mount in the middle of this setup, becuase I don't like how long the span is. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly how long it is, i just played with it till it fit well and I'm at work currently.

That being said, it has held up for a couple of flights now. I tried this with 6s and a 19x10 and 8s 18x8. I like the 8s myself on this particular motor.

I forgot to say, cutoff the extra all thread once you have your distance worked out.
prozac is online now Find More Posts by prozac
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:43 AM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
942 Posts
I just used three different spacers on the 8/32 threaded rod just like the post above. I had some extra spacers from my 71 slick so I used the long and short one from the extra and another from the slick. I agree with the idea of adding another x-mount as I had not thought of that.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I used a hacker motor but I had to go to Ace hardware and picked up 1/2 inch diameter spacers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
What do you guys think is the best motor for an 8s setup? I've been happy with my A40-10s and it would be nice to get some reward points by buying a hacker, but if there's a better choice I'd be willing to give something else a try also.
DFflyer is offline Find More Posts by DFflyer
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFflyer View Post
What do you guys think is the best motor for an 8s setup? I've been happy with my A40-10s and it would be nice to get some reward points by buying a hacker, but if there's a better choice I'd be willing to give something else a try also.
You can certainly go with a Hacker A50-12L on 8S swinging a 18x8 or 18x10. That is what some of the guys here were using.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFflyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
You can certainly go with a Hacker A50-12L on 8S swinging a 18x8 or 18x10. That is what some of the guys here were using.
Or an A50-14L, which was suggested to me by the folks at Aero-Model...but you would have to use a larger prop with the 14L as it is a lower KV.

And.... I just got off of the phone after talking to Mike Donovan, at Aero-Model... If you are going to use an A50-12L, do NOT go larger than an 18X8 or possibly an 18X10,and stick with the Xoar props, not APCs, as larger or APC even in the 18X10 is going to eventually cause you problems. If you read Aero-Model's "set-up page, they actually call for a 14x10!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Aug 02, 2011 at 02:31 PM.