SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:04 PM
Bigger is better
Austin TX
Joined Jan 2001
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroAndy View Post
with the neu in front, i had to slide the 6S 5000 all the way forward to balance on the tube. that 4025-12 is probably lighter than a neu with all the hardware & baffling too.

i'd say change to a heavier (non wood) prop and add some washers to the collet. are you running a spinner?

or, a couple 6S 3000's in parallel would fix it too..
Nope, no spinner. Haven't bought one just yet. I'll probably strap some lead to the front somewhere for now until my motrolfly comes in. I may switch ESC's as well, don't know if that will help or hurt me yet.

If I had more packs of a decent size I would absolutely go for huge batteries as a solution but everything I have is either 6S 4000 or 6S 5000.
ibange is online now Find More Posts by ibange
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:05 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
there are some 6000mah turnigy nano techs.

I've been thinking about scoring one for this plane and the vyper.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:24 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,204 Posts
managed to get my first flight in today before the sun went down. I ended up using stuff I had laying around ( 8611's, 10s 3800 TP packs) and was concerned at my all-up weight of 10lbs, 11ozs. well the damn think will practically fly at zero airspeed . incredably light on the wing even at this weight and very stable. the little bit of harrier I did was solid with no rock . ziltch coupling in KE with cg on the front of the tube. Since 10s Scorpion motor availability is limited right now I put a Himax 6320-250 in it which is pretty weak. actually has the best static thrust (18lbs) on a 21x8 Xoar fuel prop and putts around at 1/4 throttle. Put 900 mah's back after the 7 minute flight. Next week I am ordering a gear box for my Neu 1515 2y which should give it some serious snot and maybe drop back to TP 3300's. Looking forward to lunch tommorrow to try some stick stirring.
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:14 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I did not know that the a123 packs are OK unregulated on the DLE ignitions. I remember it was NOT ok when I had a DL 50 a couple of years ago. I would have loved to use my 1100 a123 unregulated instead of a 2s lipo 1050 mah regulated. I have lots of wires on my gas 72.

I'm not flying this weekend since I'm working. I got the DLE 30 running today. It took a while and I had to squirt some gas in the carb a couple of times. I did have to adjust the low end needle a lot at our altitude but it starts pretty consistently now. I think I may have killed my HS 225MG throttle servo in the process. It locked up while I was transitioning the throttle on the ground. Mine may not maiden till next Tuesday.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
. Since I'm using A123's which DLE says is ok unregulated on their ignition I went ahead and ordered that one.

PS You or Joe gonna be flying yours this weekend?
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
For sure the SmartFly stuff is top-shelf. No compromises there.
+1 I have had great luck with there stuff.

Joe
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:04 PM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
723 Posts
Hi Joe,

Good to see you got it running.

I got my info from the tower site tech notes here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXZZH1

and here. http://www.dle-engines.com/dleg0031.html Look at the tech data and recommended options towards the bottom.

All this was contrary to what I had been reading on the FG's DLE 30 thread so I called hobico engine support and they told me that the DLE ignitions are indeed rated for unregulated A123. YMMV.

They also have created a nice manual for the engine that actually has some useful information in it.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0030-0031-manual.pdf

Don't know what happened with the manual included with the engine? It reminds me of my first airplane manual for the slow stick
Steve Graham is online now Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Last edited by Steve Graham; Oct 07, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: edit
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Wow Hobbico has done a fantastic Job of making a manual for the DLE30 engine. I printed it out and will read it. I'm sure I will learn some new stuff since it's in great detail and this is only my 3rd RC gasoline engine.

I just saw that that pilot rc has the new DLE 170s. I can't wait to get one for the 119" Extra 330sc this winter.
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
Hi Joe,

Good to see you got it running.

I got my info from the tower site tech notes here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXZZH1

I wondered about so I called hobico engine support and they told me that the DLE ignitions are good on unregulated A123. YMMV.

They also have created a nice manual for the engine that actually has some useful information in it.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0030-0031-manual.pdf

Don't know what happened with the manual included with the engine? It reminds me of my first airplane manual for the slow stick
Old Oct 08, 2010, 10:14 AM
Brighton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
899 Posts
Joe get the 119" now. Whats up on the "lil" 225mg servo failing ! Darn, I used the Aeroworks servo holder "lil wood box" for the standerd size servo, no cutting needed. So I put the larger standerd servo in. I used a Hitec 7966 MG servo, I have extra boxes if ya need one!!
crazychris is offline Find More Posts by crazychris
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris View Post
Joe get the 119" now. Whats up on the "lil" 225mg servo failing ! Darn, I used the Aeroworks servo holder "lil wood box" for the standerd size servo, no cutting needed. So I put the larger standerd servo in. I used a Hitec 7966 MG servo, I have extra boxes if ya need one!!
I may take you up on that.
Joe
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:25 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Iím seriously considering the 330SC as my next airplane. Though Iíll admit, Iím a little apprehensive about stepping into this large of an airplane. My RC experience to dateÖ been flying helis for nearly 4 years and airplanes for 18 months. For the past 9 months, Iíve been learning 3D/high alpha-type flying on a couple of 3D foamy airplanes. Recently, I purchased a PA Extra MX, which is my first balsa airplane. My plan was to cut my teeth on the MX for a while prior to moving into a larger 3D airplane. However, Iím wondering if I should just go a head and buy the 330SC to compliment the MX. Just to give you an idea of where Iím at skill-wise, below are a couple of my recent videos, flying my Kalteisen 42 in. EPP Extra 260, which is a 2 lb. foamy. I also included a couple of my heli flying videosÖnot that my heli flying skills are necessarily relevant to being able to fly the 330SC with success. So, what do you think? You think I would be safe to buy and start flying the 330SC or should I hold off until I get more experience with the MX?

Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 Yellow - Hovering and High-Alpha Flying - September 15, 2010 (6 min 30 sec)

Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 Yellow - August 7, 2010 (6 min 55 sec)

Mini Titan E325 Inverted Circuits and Figure 8s - May 22, 2010 (4 min 17 sec)

EXI 500 Carbon Edition Speed Passes- May 29, 2010 (3 min 51 sec)
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:37 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
now, I haven't actually flown the 330sc yet, hopefully that will change tonight .

But...my experience with the larger 3DHS planes that I have flown, the 65" Vyper and 70" Slick, is that they are total and complete pussy cats. The reason people love these planes, besides the excellent customer service, is that they fly really really well. They have no bad habits and, given that you set it up as per 3DHS recommendations, there are no anomalies or problems to watch out for across a wide range of attitudes and airspeeds. This is not necessarily true of other brands/aircraft designs.

Additionally, the bigger the aircraft, the easier it is to fly. Obviously these planes are designed to handle some very extreme 3D maneuvers. But the thing that is often overlooked is that you don't have to fly them this way, and you can easily leave the plane on low rates until you are comfortable with it. The only problems that I have had with 3DHS planes fit into two categories: (1) I inadvertently goofed on a setup point and the airplane flew not so good. (2) The airplane flew so well that I became much too comfortable with it, and flew beyond my own abilities resulting in damage.

Hope this makes sense. I say go for it!
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:53 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
You would deffinatly have the skills to fly the 72" Extra 330sc.

It will smoth out the moves you are doing and encourage you to push things a little further.

I have been flying mine for a couple weeks and it just does not have a mean boan in its body

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:08 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
You would deffinatly have the skills to fly the 72" Extra 330sc.

It will smoth out the moves you are doing and encourage you to push things a little further.

I have been flying mine for a couple weeks and it just does not have a mean boan in its body

Dennis

Be careful you'll be building the 103" version next
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:17 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,325 Posts
The only difference you will see moving up to something as large as the 72"SC from your Kalteisen (R.I.P. ) plane is a slower to react, much gentler airplane. The smaller ones are much quicker reacting, easier to overcontrol than the big ones. Little planes are also easier to get out of trouble on. Larger planes are super easy to fly, the only thing to watch out for I think is when you get into trouble. It will take a couple extra seconds for the airplane to react and 'come around' to what you want it to do. So you need to stay a couple mistakes high until you are used to that. Otherwise the bigger ones are awesome and fun to fly! Go for it.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:16 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,735 Posts
If you are flying the MX then this will be a piece of cake. She is so gentle on low rates. Just get a good recommended set up and you will have no problem. I'm using the Motrolfly 4325-307 on 8s and she has gobs of power. Get her trimmed to your liking and she just glides in for landing.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa