Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Hey kids,
Has anyone used these yet? For the price I might give it a try in the 72" SC.

4000mah 4s 25-50c with 5c charge rate for $43.17

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...~50C_Lipo_Pack

D-Man
Only problem is they are Turdigy... bought two Turdigy packs both puffed by the fourth flight....no problems with Rhino's, (other than one out of about 20 packs that had a cell go bad on the first flight which HC took care of.) FlightMax, or Zippies.

Try these..... http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...5C_Lipoly_Pack

Your mileage may vary....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Aug 03, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:34 PM
Bigger is better
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2001
909 Posts
Who knows anymore. For a while it was "avoid the flightmax packs, buy turnigy". Now its buy flightmax and rhino, avoid turnigy". Fact of the matter is I've seen all three work and all three puff. I think its as much luck as anything. These days I'd buy whatever is in stock with hobby city and hope I have good luck with it.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibange View Post
Who knows anymore. For a while it was "avoid the flightmax packs, buy turnigy". Now its buy flightmax and rhino, avoid turnigy". Fact of the matter is I've seen all three work and all three puff. I think its as much luck as anything. These days I'd buy whatever is in stock with hobby city and hope I have good luck with it.
And then there is that....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:49 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Thunder Power and Hyperion...both have treated my right. The 25C Hyperion cells are reasonably priced and have a 5C charge rate.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Aug 2004
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibange View Post
who knows anymore. For a while it was "avoid the flightmax packs, buy turnigy". Now its buy flightmax and rhino, avoid turnigy". Fact of the matter is i've seen all three work and all three puff. I think its as much luck as anything. These days i'd buy whatever is in stock with hobby city and hope i have good luck with it.
+1.
tho98027 is offline Find More Posts by tho98027
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:29 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belrix View Post
Thunder Power and Hyperion...both have treated my right. The 25C Hyperion cells are reasonably priced and have a 5C charge rate.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian
I absolutely agree with you, as Thunder Power has the best warranty there is as far as I am concerned (and I have certainly availed myself of their warranty on occasion).

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Aug 03, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:24 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
for the price of hk packs, unless you need every single watt out of your motor, get the turnigy or flightmax 35c packs (or lower if you want to save a few $$$) and go fly! stop worrying about paying 10x more for a pack unless you are not worried about money. the hk packs work very well for the price and are a HUGE reason why electric has taken off. i can honestly say if it werent for hk i would not have any electric planes as i could not afford more than 1 battery. say what you want about them, but they have done a lot for the advancement of the hobby and i honestly do not know where the hobby would be if they werent here.
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:37 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
I have watched many HK 6s packs come out of 70" Slick swollen like a balloon.

I have slowly been moving over to Hyperion and they have been excellent. Not saying HK packs don't have there place as the smaller ones have been worth every penny. The larger packs can't handle the heat in a central Texas summer. If all I can get is 20 cycles on a 60 dollar pack that would get more expensive than a 200 pack that will get a couple hundred cycles at least.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian View Post
I have watched many HK 6s packs come out of 70" Slick swollen like a balloon.

I have slowly been moving over to Hyperion and they have been excellent. Not saying HK packs don't have there place as the smaller ones have been worth every penny. The larger packs can't handle the heat in a central Texas summer. If all I can get is 20 cycles on a 60 dollar pack that would get more expensive than a 200 pack that will get a couple hundred cycles at least.
interesting. The only two packs out of about 25 or so are thunderpower. None of my zippy's or turnigy is puffed up. I had one turnigy with a dead cell so far.

And all that in the heat in florida as well
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:50 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
interesting. The only two packs out of about 25 or so are thunderpower. None of my zippy's or turnigy is puffed up. I had one turnigy with a dead cell so far.

And all that in the heat in florida as well
I guess you have had better luck than us. I love my smaller 3s and 4s HK packs but theses 6s 5000 I and a few others here have been getting are pure crap.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:52 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian View Post
I guess you have had better luck than us. I love my smaller 3s and 4s HK packs but theses 6s 5000 I and a few others here have been getting are pure crap.
interesting...i have 4 flightmax 6s 5000mah 25c packs that i have probably somewhere around 60-80 cycles on and no problems what so ever. they are in a 70 slick with a hacker a50-12l and they are holding up fantastically
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 03, 2010, 09:07 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
interesting...i have 4 flightmax 6s 5000mah 25c packs that i have probably somewhere around 60-80 cycles on and no problems what so ever. they are in a 70 slick with a hacker a50-12l and they are holding up fantastically
The key word may be Flightmax. The ones that have been bad have all been Turnigy.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:58 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
Here in central Texas, the dog days have arrived That means HOT and no clouds ! Average temp by noon time is 93 (for the past week). So, my conclusion is....the packs are already 'cooking'....even if kept in the shade. Motors are getting 'torture' tested as well All day flying season is over for now....needless to say.
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:02 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,662 Posts
what if you got a cooler (you know, a box to keep green bottles happy in) put a few ice packs in it, and kept your batteries in there? then just switch planes every other flight to give the motors a chance to cool
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg