HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:43 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
review??? lotsa talk here... but has anybody pulled the trigger and got one of these yet?! loads of ppl who already have the UM p51 and don't want to buy a "collectors" plane thats less aerobatic?

I don't see many posts of ppl rushing to buy one - why?! would be a step backwards?! from the pz um. I might have to get one soon - since I already wrecked my p51 gotta practice more! looks really sharp and price is great for those who don't have =>DX6i. me I only got the dx5e.

Question - does anyone know if we will be able to buy just the plane version? prolly not... video looks real nice but I don't want a new tx for every collector plane they put out/I buy. Looks a tad slower then my um did - easier to fly is great.
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Nov 05, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:57 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
review??? lotsa talk here... but has anybody pulled the trigger and got one of these yet?! loads of ppl who already have the UM p51 and don't want to buy a "collectors" plane thats less aerobatic?

I don't see many posts of ppl rushing to buy one - why?! would be a step backwards?! from the pz um. I might have to get one soon - since I already wrecked my p51 gotta practice more! looks really sharp and price is great for those who don't have =>DX6i.
So are you getting one elvill? I can't believe no one has pulled the trigger yet Its like..you first

Actually I fly my PZ UM Mustang with a MCX controller set to low rates. You really don't need a DX6i for that plane IMO.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
yep looks like I need/ed something in between my Axon p51 and Suki/UMp51 - probably would have saved me a couple planes pz micros if this came out beforehand - LOL oh well...

you know there is something I really love about this setup! It charges lipos from the TX. I know there has been alot of talk about toygrade/hobbygrade vs. adult rc and kids stuff but I for one am happy HL took a toygrade concept and applied it to the the hobby - charging TX is awesome! imo keep things simple in design... not alot of stuff to carry to the park or gym - nice work Hobby Lobby!
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:19 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
yep looks like I need/ed something in between my Axon p51 and Suki/UMp51 - probably would have saved me a couple planes pz micros if this came out beforehand - LOL oh well...

you know there is something I really love about this setup! It charges lipos from the TX. I know there has been alot of talk about toygrade/hobbygrade vs. adult rc and kids stuff but I for one am happy HL took a toygrade concept and applied it to the the hobby - charging TX is awesome! imo keep things simple in design... not alot of stuff to carry to the park or gym - nice work Hobby Lobby!
Oh I agree that the TX charging is a great feature. This is most certainly a Hobby grade plane. If I wasn't sitting on 80+ planes I would get one but I really need to just say no..for a while anyway
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
Thats the nice part about a Tx charger coming with every plane, after the second purchase, one Tx can become a dedicated charger, keeping the flight Tx batteries stonger longer.

Will every plane in the series be on the same freq? That would be a bummer for some folks.....

.....so is anyone else getting tired of "micro", "ultra micro", "uber micro", "mega micro", "super micro", and all the other possible pseudo applicable variants mfrs wanna label these planes with?

Compared to this plane, is the Parkzone P-51 an "ULTRA micro" or an ".....um....micro?"

Just go to a striaght up scale format, imho.......

our dads and mums were smart enough to figure it out,....will our kids be? Maybe its too much to expect in "toys", but maybe its something a "hobbiest" might be expected to understand? This "buzz word" marketing just helps to lower the bar a bit more......

I know, I know, it's no big deal, its kind of a micro issue, its just getting micro annoying........
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Last edited by airfoil'd; Nov 05, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:30 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
Will every plane in the series be on the same freq?

Yes, 2.4 GHz radio.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:31 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Yes, 2.4 GHz radio.
Ron
Yes, all 79 of them.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
I believe the appropriate applicable term is "doh...."

That lovely odor is the smell of a micro "brain-fart"......

I guess the correct answer would be "Only occasionally, and only for a micro moment"?

(2.4 radios are only on 1 channel at any given moment aren't they, constantly switching, so if 2 planes were flying at the same time, the fact they are doing so indicates they are NOT on the same channels, at least the vast majority of the time?)
Last edited by airfoil'd; Nov 06, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:12 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
teheall 79 of em'... so potentially, we could have every member of our HS flying club up at the park at the same time? and no interference? Neato! Gotta love 2.4!

Airfoil'd: you thinking 'bout getting this bird? Stepping into 2.4 hobby stuff! nice not to have to get a spendy DSM2 Dx6i but I prolly will get one either way later on down the road...

Me: Broke right now so I can't afford the plane but just signed my prof contract so I'll get paid dec 1st and christmas is coming early boys! ...then its mine!
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
I'm not spending any money on R/C these days (resisting has become a little "how long" game for me)......almost bit on the PZ P-51.....seeing issues with gearboxes and whatnot kind of tempers my enthusiasm a bit. Toy grade durability has kind of spoiled me, I guess. Of course, I know there are tons of people not complaining about their 51's and Suk's cause they work and fly perfectly, and don't ever get crashed.......

Where this plane is concerned, I'm with everyone else...interested to hear and see more - durability, req'd flying area (my farm has 4 diff size fly zones, I would only want an HG micro suited to the smallest, closest one. There are better HG scales for the other areas), hop-ups, ect..

I actually find myself thinking an MCX might be a fun winter killer that enters the DX6i realm for me. Then come Spring, the brick could turn into a nice small 9"WS (1:57?) F-15 pusher jet that suits my flyzone parameters.
Last edited by airfoil'd; Nov 06, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 11:01 PM
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2009
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
So are you getting one elvill? I can't believe no one has pulled the trigger yet Its like..you first

Actually I fly my PZ UM Mustang with a MCX controller set to low rates. You really don't need a DX6i for that plane IMO.
so do I, only on high rates.
ysweatme is offline Find More Posts by ysweatme
Old Nov 08, 2009, 11:56 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
I know there are tons of people not complaining about their 51's and Suk's cause they work and fly perfectly, and don't ever get crashed.......
You are kidding? I crashed mine (parkzone um mustang) 8 times on its maiden flight (well, maiden charge, I guess only the first one was the maiden flight, all 8 seconds of it) If there is a hobby grade plane out there with toy grade durability, this is it.... Come to think of it, the MCX is the same way... I dont crash that much, but one night I did get ummm, tipsy, and started flying the mcx into people and cameras (all with permission) and each time picked it up off the floor and it flew again....

As for the hobby lobby p-51... I have no doubts it will be just as durable, and with no ailerons to tempt people into trying rolls and split S's, they will likley get crashed less too.... I do like the canopy... I bet it can be adapted to the PZ plane...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Nov 09, 2009, 01:17 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
You are kidding? I crashed mine (parkzone um mustang) 8 times on its maiden flight (well, maiden charge, I guess only the first one was the maiden flight, all 8 seconds of it) If there is a hobby grade plane out there with toy grade durability, this is it.... Come to think of it, the MCX is the same way... I dont crash that much, but one night I did get ummm, tipsy, and started flying the mcx into people and cameras (all with permission) and each time picked it up off the floor and it flew again....

As for the hobby lobby p-51... I have no doubts it will be just as durable, and with no ailerons to tempt people into trying rolls and split S's, they will likley get crashed less too.... I do like the canopy... I bet it can be adapted to the PZ plane...
It has Ailerons and Elevator. It has no Rudder. No tail wheel steering either.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,472 Posts
I'm not kidding........you're just apparently not in that group. (the ones not complaining, not giving great reviews,....just flying.) Not everyone who bought a P-51 is on RCG, I bet the majority of purchasers aren't, actually.

Some folk, if they have nothing bad to say, say nothing at all.
Some folk are the opposite.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:41 AM
Joined Jul 2007
15 Posts
Hi,

I purchased the new HL micro P-51 and flew it for the first time yesterday am(little to no wind). Once trimmed out(it was a bit pitch sensitive at first) the aircraft flew quite nicely. It has plenty of power and the geared brushed motor gives kind of a "Packard/Merlin growel". The ailerons are very small almost "scale like" but the aircraft's roll rate and turning ability was fine. I flew the airplane in my backyard easily.The transmitter, etc.. worked fine.

I will say that in terms of structure the Parkzone P-51 is of a more durable construction. The wings on this new P-51 are very thin and will dent easily with improper handling.

Overall it's a neat airplane and I look forward to the Spitfire and from the shadow image on the box a FW-190.

Hope this helps you out.
nealcfi is offline Find More Posts by nealcfi