HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2009
154 Posts
I hate to rain on all the spitfire owner's parade but not until the fly a Horizon Hobby (parkzone or eflite) micro will you see the light. They truly are better, and I am unbiased and own both. I like Hobby Lobby but they are in way over their heads in the micro department
reverse.sensin is offline Find More Posts by reverse.sensin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:22 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse.sensin View Post
I hate to rain on all the spitfire owner's parade but not until the fly a Horizon Hobby (parkzone or eflite) micro will you see the light. They truly are better, and I am unbiased and own both. I like Hobby Lobby but they are in way over their heads in the micro department
In practice they should be, the Horizon micros are nearly twice the price....

The eRC Spitfire was my first warbird after learning to fly on an Ember. The fact that the eRC was still a 3ch was perfect, I'm not sure I could have handled a 4ch low wing straight from the Ember. I certainly had lots of fun with then, and still fly it as much now.

Performance wise I agree the Horizon planes are better, obviously having the extra channel helps. But, when it comes to looks the eRC micros are way better looking.......but surely that shouldn't be ......they're only half the price...????

Regards
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:29 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
In practice they should be, the Horizon micros are nearly twice the price....

The eRC Spitfire was my first warbird after learning to fly on an Ember. The fact that the eRC was still a 3ch was perfect, I'm not sure I could have handled a 4ch low wing straight from the Ember. I certainly had lots of fun with then, and still fly it as much now.

Performance wise I agree the Horizon planes are better, obviously having the extra channel helps. But, when it comes to looks the eRC micros are way better looking.......but surely that shouldn't be ......they're only half the price...????

Regards
Andy
They did not start at half the price. I paid more for my Spitfire then the cost of the RTF hobbyzone champ. The price dropped to half after word got out of how poorly they performed. Paper thin foam, stick on landing gear that doesn't stick and extemely underpowered. I could barely stay above stall speed at full throttle. I would not by another at 1/4 the price.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
No raining on a parade here. (see post #286)

Knew pretty well what was likely when they dropped the price. I"ve been involved with this rc hobby for around 30 years, off and on, with most experience with glow airplanes and some successful contest work. I saw this as a kind of novelty so not a lot of critical expectation

While others like PZ have a better package, the eRC planes have performed O.K. for many of us. With the outdoor prop installed, my Spitfire was/is enjoyable enough after a little fiddling to get the controls less sensitive. No power problem at all.

As for being 'in the light', I , for one, don't feel necessarily deceived. I got another Spitfire during a sales promotion and it has been more of a chore to set up in trim than the first but this about as far into the UM arena as I want to get.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:56 PM
User?
México, DF, Ciudad de México
Joined Dec 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse.sensin View Post
I also have a PZ UM P51 and both eRC warbirds (p51 and Spit). I like all my planes and I agree that the PZ Mustang flies better out of the box and is more aerobatic but for an unknown reason I usually fly more the eRC stuff than the PZ.

For me it's just a matter of personal taste.
rocco is offline Find More Posts by rocco
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
They did not start at half the price. I paid more for my Spitfire then the cost of the RTF hobbyzone champ. The price dropped to half after word got out of how poorly they performed. Paper thin foam, stick on landing gear that doesn't stick and extemely underpowered. I could barely stay above stall speed at full throttle. I would not by another at 1/4 the price.
There is something wrong with your plane Steve.

I have a Hobby Lobby Spitfire and it is NOT underpowered. I don't use the landing gear, and that is fine with me. The plane looks better without it.

But back to the power. My plane is surprisingly fast and will perform multiple loops from level flight after 7 or 8 minutes of flight. Most of my flying is just above 1/2 throttle.....and it will loop at that speed.

At this price, I suppose quality control may have suffered, but my plane flies well, has plenty of power and has no dings or damage after 40+ flights.

It is the smallest of my 30 odd planes all the way up to 8' wing span jobs. It is just a fun little plane to toss into the air just before a nice sunset.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
I got my Spitfire, and in the manual it states that there is a 4th channel for rudder control,
I read this thread pretty much all the way and noticed that no one mentions the 4th channel.
Does anyone have any more info.?
Thanks...
Petey...
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Petey

Sorry to say there is no actual 4th channel.
Anyway, have fun with your new Spit, don't forget to add about 1.5g to the nose before you maiden, to get the CG correct. Also if you find the elevator too twitchy (many have) just an extra 6-7mm to the control horn.

All the best, and let us all know how you get on.
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:21 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Machy2k -

Yeah, I read that too and have seen three unused ports on the rxr board but they just say that a rudder control was not installed on these planes. I make that to be that some of it's electronics are present in the rxr and I've had the transmitter apart and have seen the potentiometer on the rudder stick so who knows just what the potential is there. Apparently, H-L hasn't delved into it either.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Machy2k -

Yeah, I read that too and have seen three unused ports on the rxr board but they just say that a rudder control was not installed on these planes. I make that to be that some of it's electronics are present in the rxr and I've had the transmitter apart and have seen the potentiometer on the rudder stick so who knows just what the potential is there. Apparently, H-L hasn't delved into it either.
Gnats if you find out how to activate that 4th channel, you will hold the status of "God of all eRC micros"...lol

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:10 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Gnats if you find out how to activate that 4th channel, you will hold the status of "God of all eRC micros"...lol

Andy
It's probably a working channel then, just no plug...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Quote:

Andy
Andy -

Check posts #276, 277. Jay Burkart seems really close to H-L and his comment kinda gives the drift that there's not a whole lot of interest. There are some fellas ( modfly, ie.) that could make a sensible go at these little buggers. I'm little more than a 'wrench twister', Seems like it might be not too dangerous to gently try one of PZs linear micro servos in that port after determining the polarity. I'm not a PZ micro user.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:58 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Andy -

Check posts #276, 277. Jay Burkart seems really close to H-L and his comment kinda gives the drift that there's not a whole lot of interest. There are some fellas ( modfly, ie.) that could make a sensible go at these little buggers. I'm little more than a 'wrench twister', Seems like it might be not too dangerous to gently try one of PZs linear micro servos in that port after determining the polarity. I'm not a PZ micro user.
O.k.Guys; I realize now that what you are saying is, the mechanics for the 3rd servo are supposed built onto the receiver, like the aileron and elevator servo mechanics are, so that would make it harder to just plug an ultra micro servo into the brick...

But not impossible, then we would only need the servo motor gear assembly, and the 2 wires from the servo motor, plus 2 or 3 wires from the pot, and it should work!!!
Last edited by Machy2k; Sep 15, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:46 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
O.k.Guys; I realize now that what you are saying is, the mechanics for the 3rd servo are supposed built onto the receiver, like the aileron and elevator servo mechanics are, so that would make it harder to just plug an ultra micro servo into the brick...

But not impossible, then we would only need the servo motor gear assembly, and the 2 wires from the servo motor, plus 2 or 3 wires from the pot, and it should work!!!
Machy2k -

Yeah, maybe, but that little assbly. that comprises the servo is an unwieldy looking thing to handle. That's why I suggested trying a PZ unit. It's just speculation at this point.

It seems that the folks at eRC have had something more in the works for these little designs but due to issues of quality and consistency they may not come to light.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:09 AM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
do they still sell the p51 anywhere?
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er