HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
I've got a half dozen flights on my new Spitfire now. What a blast. She is a bit twitchy, but it is teaching me a new level of smoothness on the sticks

My favorite flights are during zero wind conditions and flying below eye level around the yard. It is just cool looking DOWN on the plane while it is flying around.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
I've got a half dozen flights on my new Spitfire now. What a blast. She is a bit twitchy, but it is teaching me a new level of smoothness on the sticks

My favorite flights are during zero wind conditions and flying below eye level around the yard. It is just cool looking DOWN on the plane while it is flying around.

Cliff
Hi Cliff

I'll second that. So much fun, for so little money.
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eagle
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
With the current size and low cost of micro servos, I wonder why HL and Parkzone don't go brushless on such micros. It may even be less cost since manufacturer will no longer have to fiddle with the gear reduction setup and getting all that to fit inside these tiny cowls? Is cost really the issue?
addict is offline Find More Posts by addict
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
With the current size and low cost of micro servos, I wonder why HL and Parkzone don't go brushless on such micros. It may even be less cost since manufacturer will no longer have to fiddle with the gear reduction setup and getting all that to fit inside these tiny cowls? Is cost really the issue?
Think of how much they would lose in replacement part sales.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
addict -

I'm sure they're thinking about it but the little brushed motors are so plentiful and proven they'll probably stay with that until developments turn up that allow outrunners to be more cost appealing. They're just not viable in as many applications yet.

Interestingly, I just had a peek at the board/brick inside a micro Spitfire and it does have a set of three open ports for something to plug into near the center. Don't want to jump to conclusions about just 'what' that might be but the designers might be ahead of the market just a bit. These little eRC micros are more sophisticated than one would suspect, maybe.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:56 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,335 Posts
Jason Cole
Hobby Lobby[/QUOTE]

jason -

I now have two Spitfires and after a little reworking, one is really a great little airplane. The other came in with it's belly pan hanging off and I peeked at the electronics. There is port for what looks to be three connectors near the center of the board facing downward. Any comments on what that's for?

Anyway, the second one is ready to go. Got the prop changed with little hassle.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
SAM Elec GrandChamp04,07,10,12
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,045 Posts
The 3 pin connector is a mystery. It does not match any standard servo connector at all.
Haven't been brave enough to plug anything into it.
Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New 2316 sq. in. Airborns
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:24 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Nobody doing anything new with these little planes? I've been flying mine and everything is going great so far.

I still find the elevator a little twitchy and I'm thinking about just putting on a longer control arm to take some of the travel out. That is the only way to reduce the throw that I can think of since the control wire is already at the end hole.

Cliff
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
Hi Cliff

I still fly my Spitfire daily, as long as the wind cooperates. I love this little plane, I'm really considering getting another Spit, as this ones getting pretty beat up with all the flights it gets, I'll keep the guts for spares. I costed just buying the wings, fuse etc, and transplanting the gear, but they're so cheap to by RTF. I'd also like to fly the Mustang, I've heard you don't need to adjust the CG, like you do with the Spitfire, so no added dead weight.
Regards the elevator control, I also found it twitchy, so I epoxied a longer piece of plastic to the control horn. It's only 7mm longer with a hole at the end, but it flies nice and smooth now.

Regards
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:58 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Thanks for the photo Andy. I didn't think of that for some reason. Easier than trying to pull the control horn and install a new, longer one.

I'll give that a try.

Cliff
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,594 Posts
Hi Cliff

Glad to help, please let me know how you get on.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:22 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
It worked perfect Andy. I extended the horn just a little and now all that twitchyness is gone and the little plane flies perfect.

cliff
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:11 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
I also pulled off that useless tail wheel ....
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:51 PM
Good thing we brought the glue
USA, NY, Carmel
Joined Feb 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Burkart View Post
The 3 pin connector is a mystery. It does not match any standard servo connector at all.
Haven't been brave enough to plug anything into it.
Jay
I am wondering if those 3 pins were for a switch.

Anyone brave enough to short 2 of them together and see if anything changes in the controls?

I would do it, just don't have the time.

My dream is it would turn on elevon mixing. I think thats what you call it.
I would love to throw this receiver into a mini delta.
cdina36315 is offline Find More Posts by cdina36315
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:49 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdina36315 View Post
I am wondering if those 3 pins were for a switch.

Anyone brave enough to short 2 of them together and see if anything changes in the controls?

I would do it, just don't have the time.

My dream is it would turn on elevon mixing. I think thats what you call it.
I would love to throw this receiver into a mini delta.
Still no clear answer as to what the three ports are for but in re-reading the instructions that come with the Spitfire, it says that there is a rudder channel built in but it is not utilized on this particular model. Last paragraph of text on page 3.