SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:02 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Aero Andy, thanks for a great video! Very well done. A plane this size is difficult to get good video with. Liked the sound editing also

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:24 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,657 Posts
cliffh -

Nice write-up and tips.

In one of the other threads, I posted a photo of a 3/4" stick extension I put on the r.h. stick to calm the twitchy control inputs and it did the trick, good feel and much smoother.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:26 AM
Nashville TN.
Joined May 2010
113 Posts
I like the PZ prop better than the outdoor prop.

You can remove the engine easily if you'll use some super fine needle nose pliers and a fork. line up the one of the holes in the large gear with the tiny screw that holds on the motor and mount to the small square rod. Its a micro phillips like in electronics. They do have enough wire in there to pull the motor out and unplug it if needed but I don't remember unplugging it to better fasten the prop shaft on the rear. That little nylon ring is all holding in the prop shaft.Take it off and apply a drop of CA and slide it back on. No more probs from that. I got a new p-51 from a guy for nothing because his fell off.I've got around 30-40 flights out of my P-51 and it flies great. Also inquire about the polarity reverse plug, I got 2 from HLint for nothing and carefully ca'd it to the eRC plug. It allows me to use all the Hyperion and Tenergy's from my Champ. I just charge off the Champs battery charger. I'm also using 160mah so my flight times are good.
oldtoys1961 is offline Find More Posts by oldtoys1961
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
gnats82 - good tip on the extension. Sort of a "manual" expo.

oldtoys1961 - I bought my plane during the last "Crash Sale" at Hobby Lobby. It included the outdoor prop, 3 lipos and 1 adapter.

Those adapters are nicely made and do the trick.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2008
38 Posts
Note the "CRASH" deal is still active for this plane for $50 shipped including the extra battery and prop:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/crash.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_micro...32737_prd1.htm

.. for the price of a high end Air Hog plane this is certainly a heck of a deal at 50 bucks shipped. Thanks to those who made reference to the sale in this thread or I never would have gone looking and found it was still a viable deal.
yuppiejr is offline Find More Posts by yuppiejr
Old Jul 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
oh man... after i saw 50$ shippied with outdoor prop and battery.. i had to order a spit to match with my p51.
S107 is offline Find More Posts by S107
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:04 PM
Seneca,SC
Joined Sep 2001
91 Posts
My Spit had only one prop, unmounted (with prop, gear and nosecone mounted on a small shaft) and two batteries when it arrived today. I don't know how to mount the prop. The shaft slips in the hole in the front of the mount, but there are no instructions on how to secure it. Also, will it fly ok without gear?
Thanks
BroncoXLT is offline Find More Posts by BroncoXLT
Last edited by BroncoXLT; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: didn't explain that prop was not mounted to plane
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:49 PM
User?
México, DF, Ciudad de México
Joined Dec 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoXLT View Post
My Spit had only one prop(with gear and nosecone mounted) and two batteries when it arrived today. I don't know how to mount the prop. It slips in the hole in the front of the mount, but there are no instructions on how to secure it. Also, will it fly ok without gear?
Thanks
Here you can find some info about how to change your prop using needle nose pliers:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107

http://forums.hobby-lobby.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=326 (some nice photos)

Your Spit will fly (and look) better with LG removed .
rocco is offline Find More Posts by rocco
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoXLT View Post
My Spit had only one prop, unmounted (with prop, gear and nosecone mounted on a small shaft) and two batteries when it arrived today. I don't know how to mount the prop. The shaft slips in the hole in the front of the mount, but there are no instructions on how to secure it. Also, will it fly ok without gear?
Thanks
Bronco -

O.K.> Your plane arrived with the drive gear and it's attached prop out of the front of the plane? If that's correct, then the small plastic cap/bushing at the opposite end of the drive system has already come off, allowing it to fall out. If that's the case, I'd call H-L and tell them, they'll want you to return it as defective or make an adjustment.

Otherwise, it would be a small operation to restore the system to function. Check my post #228 in the "eRC Spitfire w/video" thread.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
Nashville TN.
Joined May 2010
113 Posts
Yep, defective from the factory or during shipping.I got a brand new mustang for free because of that. Its what really hurt the sales on these birds from what I seen. You can take it back. Its an easy fix but the nylon retainer on the rear of that shaft came off and the propeller/shaft slid out. I removed mine and ca it on. Its nothing but a little nylon ring on the rear holding it on. There's a square post that the plastic engine mounts on.The motor and mount are held on by a ultra tiny screw plus its a tight fit. That screw and little nylon ring is in there somewhere. Both probably fell back into the plane,it needs to come out as it can jam the elevator or aileron arms. The belly pan also comes off,but is taped on.Use a single edge razor blade or xacto knife.

Remove the motor and mount off the square post as it slides off theres plenty of motor wire in there with a plug, its taped to the inside cowl side,once its back in it wont get in the way of anything. Put a cap or ring on it,ca it and slide it in from the rear, adjust the large gear to mesh well with the motor,line up any one of the large holes in the large nylon gear and you'll see the screw tiny screw hole.Put the screw in and mount the prop.

Its something that needs to be done on these planes. Bad idea just pressing it on. A little ca will give a piece of mind and never to be a problem again.

You can return it, but I did both of mine just to play it safe. They can pop off during flight.
oldtoys1961 is offline Find More Posts by oldtoys1961
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
SAM Elec GrdChmp04,07,10,12,14
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,073 Posts
Here are the pics on motor removal and prop change

Here are the pictures on motor removal and prop changing.

Use a #0 phillips to get the screw out. Jewelers screw driver set works well.
I removed part of the cowling for clarity.
The Spitfire is exactly the same for these procedures.

Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,073 Posts
Prop shaft clearance

Here is a picture on how far the prop shaft needs to stick out if
yours gets pushed back through the gear.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:04 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,657 Posts
Jay -

Many thanks for adding posts #266 and #267.

Also visible in the photos of the motor unit is that there is a small METAL thrust washer between the plastic retaining collar and the rear prop shaft bushing. I did not find that on my Spitfire but will add something similar if need be in the future.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
Seneca,SC
Joined Sep 2001
91 Posts
Yep, just like ya'll said. My spit had no prop or shaft. The shaft with gear and prop and spinner were laying in the compartment where the nose rested. I think I'll see if HL will make it good. They also shorted me the outdoor prop and third battery. I've bought from HL for around 34 years now, but I sure do hate to have to repair things as soon as they come in the mail, Takes away a little of the excitement of getting a new toy!
Thanks for the info, guys.
BroncoXLT is offline Find More Posts by BroncoXLT
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,073 Posts
HL help

Bronco XLT,

Just call them and talk to Robert Harrington in tech support and tell him what happened.
Things are a bit busy there now, they are doing inventory. YUCH!
Have your order number from when you bought it. that helps move along the process more quickly.
Jay