SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
FastFwd got some nice stuff too,,,i think he deserves a ( I disLike you! too )
lol
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,854 Posts
what is that Yellow and White wing next to the Diamond 2500?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
what is that Yellow and White wing next to the Diamond 2500?
That yellow Wing is a 150" WS Competition Wing..3 piece with expensive servos. Ailerons and Large Flap..
The White one, i'm not sure..it's a 2 piece missing spar but it's like 140" WS..very lite and floaty...a guy is offering me a few hundreds for the green one so if u want it,,,betta get it quick..i already have a box to ship it in to..
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,854 Posts
That green one looks wimpy and foamy.... I'd rather have the competition ONLY wing:-)
PM me for that YELLOW one....
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:44 AM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Mar 2010
68 Posts
Here's my first tests of my autopilot and UHF systems on my Diamond 2500! I figured this forum would appreciate the video ^_^ Enjoy! Next will test my FPV setup.

Pure RC test on UHF.
FY-31AP Testing (Part 1): Checking Pure RC control (7 min 44 sec)

Testing Auto-Stabilization for the first time.
FY-31AP Testing (Part 2): Auto-Stabilization (9 min 33 sec)

Testing both Auto-Circling and Return to Launch
FY-31AP Testing (Part 3): Aut-Circling & RTH/RTL (11 min 48 sec)
sean.belardo is offline Find More Posts by sean.belardo
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:12 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,854 Posts
sean.belardo
Those are great videos, thanks for sharing....
In a couple months, RUBYw/OSD is coming out. It has RTL (return to Landing, not Launch).
It will land the plane for you.....
Its interesing....

FY products are nice and price is fair, but I'm a little weary of there new module w/GPS(DoS is called).
Its an updated version of your AutoPilot.....(its only $130).

check out vids here of the RUBY module I'm looking at: ....

www.uthere.com

http://www.uthere.com/video/video_index.html
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,690 Posts
I've never really looked into it, so I didn't realize RTH's could be had so cheap. I think I know the answer, but can the FY-31AR be used as a stand alone unit, or does it need to be tied into the FPV system? Can I add it to an existing FPV plane, independent of the FPV system?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Dec 17, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,854 Posts
The FY### units are purely "RC" units alone....
(Stabilization, RTH w/GPS, etc....)....Simple!

.'but' you can Plug and Play and buy there other Modules for attachments for FPV(ie....OSD)....
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
The FY### units are purely "RC" units alone....
(Stabilization, RTH w/GPS, etc....)....Simple!

.'but' you can Plug and Play and buy there other Modules for attachments for FPV(ie....OSD)....
so a guy wouldn't need FPV setup to use the gps,RTH, or Circle ? I have never used any of these things,no FPV or anything. But sound very interesting to have a plane that would stabilize itself,then come home and circle I also wonder if you need a RX and TX that has telemetry in order to use any of this stuff ? Have two diamonds, may just set the used one up for this as it was setup with FPV before. ANd Sean Thanks for the nice informative videos !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,854 Posts
fastfwd,
you are correct my friend. You don't have to do FPV to have these FY### modules.

Some FY### modules are purely Stabilization purposes and RTH....just put on a 3 position switch (off, stabilizaton, 3D)....
These are 100% just for flying LOS....and purely RC control....(windy)

if you have a FY### with GPS, the GPS is to RTH....

ie....DoS
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fydos-iner...gps-p-844.html

Simple!

The add-ons (ie....OSD) are for FPV because you always want to monitor, Lipo Voltage, distance from Home, Distance from the Ground etc..... (you wont need all of these when you just want to fly normally- Line of Sight!!!! (LOS).
Last edited by rclab1; Dec 17, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
fastfwd,
you are correct my friend. You don't have to do FPV to have these FY### modules.

Some FY### modules are purely Stabilization purposes and RTH....just put on a 3 position switch (off, stabilizaton, 3D)....
These are 100% just for flying LOS....and purely RC control....(windy)

if you have a FY### with GPS, the GPS is to RTH....

ie....DoS
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fydos-iner...gps-p-844.html

Simple!

The add-ons (ie....OSD) are for FPV because you always want to monitor, Lipo Voltage, distance from Home, Distance from the Ground etc..... (you wont need all of these when you just want to fly normally- Line of Sight!!!! (LOS).
hmmm think ill just invest in one for stabilizing plane in windy conditions so the on board video experience will be better,also the RTH and circle sounds very good to me Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
sean.belardo
Those are great videos, thanks for sharing....
In a couple months, RUBYw/OSD is coming out. It has RTL (return to Landing, not Launch).
It will land the plane for you.....
Its interesing....

FY products are nice and price is fair, but I'm a little weary of there new module w/GPS(DoS is called).
Its an updated version of your AutoPilot.....(its only $130).

check out vids here of the RUBY module I'm looking at: ....

www.uthere.com

http://www.uthere.com/video/video_index.html
now that is sweet !! Land the plane for you !?? wooot !!

So i need these two ??

FY-DOS&GPS autopilot version ...US$149.00.......... http://www.bevrc.com/fydosgps-autopi...sion_p494.html

New Fatshark predator V2.....US$279.99............http://www.bevrc.com/new-fatshark-predator-v2_p331.html
Last edited by fastfwd; Dec 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
I took my Diamond 2500 up to the field today for its maiden flight; this is with the 76mm CofG rather than the 82mm in the manual. The weather was light breeze 5-6mph according to weather station nearby with low cloud and 7C. The only thermals were the ones under my padded trousers but I have been itching to try it out.

I launched it at about 2/3 throttle with a gentle push, let it settle a bit then put throttle to full and it just went up almost vertical and would have entered a roll, think I need some down elevator mixed into the throttle. I have a 15 x 8 carbon CAM prop on so plenty of thrust but the current draw is OK at 40Amps, perhaps more thrust than the stock prop hence need for some down elevator.

Once up it floated around really well, it seemed to hold itself up for a while on each climb and did not need much trimming for hands off flight. I did find that it would not self level it would hold a turn either left or right and just keep floating around in big lazy circle with very little input or hold a straight line until a gust made it deviate. I must admit to doing a couple of loops, nice and large and lazy but nothing more than this on the first flight.

Landing was relatively straightforward for such a large model, full flaps and crow brakes and it came in really smoothly and slowly with a great flare out before settling onto the grass at walking pace. It needs some down elevator trimmed in with the flaps as I had to keep the nose down on the way in.

The first flight I was in the air for just over 30 minutes from a motor on time of 2mins 30secs at full power and an extra 1min 45sec at low throttle. This seems like a good ratio without thermals and this is the first time I have felt the need for flying from a chair. On recharging I had used only 1870mAh out of the 2500mAh battery.

This is my first glider so I do not have anything to compare it with. I am really pleased with it and had a great time and hopefully I can get some more stick time in the coming days over the Christmas break to get it fully set up. Rain cut the second flight short after about 10 minutes so I am still learning and setting the plane up.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
I took my Diamond 2500 up to the field today for its maiden flight; this is with the 76mm CofG rather than the 82mm in the manual. The weather was light breeze 5-6mph according to weather station nearby with low cloud and 7C. The only thermals were the ones under my padded trousers but I have been itching to try it out.

I launched it at about 2/3 throttle with a gentle push, let it settle a bit then put throttle to full and it just went up almost vertical and would have entered a roll, think I need some down elevator mixed into the throttle. I have a 15 x 8 carbon CAM prop on so plenty of thrust but the current draw is OK at 40Amps, perhaps more thrust than the stock prop hence need for some down elevator.

Once up it floated around really well, it seemed to hold itself up for a while on each climb and did not need much trimming for hands off flight. I did find that it would not self level it would hold a turn either left or right and just keep floating around in big lazy circle with very little input or hold a straight line until a gust made it deviate. I must admit to doing a couple of loops, nice and large and lazy but nothing more than this on the first flight.

Landing was relatively straightforward for such a large model, full flaps and crow brakes and it came in really smoothly and slowly with a great flare out before settling onto the grass at walking pace. It needs some down elevator trimmed in with the flaps as I had to keep the nose down on the way in.

The first flight I was in the air for just over 30 minutes from a motor on time of 2mins 30secs at full power and an extra 1min 45sec at low throttle. This seems like a good ratio without thermals and this is the first time I have felt the need for flying from a chair. On recharging I had used only 1870mAh out of the 2500mAh battery.

This is my first glider so I do not have anything to compare it with. I am really pleased with it and had a great time and hopefully I can get some more stick time in the coming days over the Christmas break to get it fully set up. Rain cut the second flight short after about 10 minutes so I am still learning and setting the plane up.
If you put it into a gentle dive then take hands off sticks if the CG is correct at cruising speed(say half throttle) she should start to level out gently. I have done ALOT of research (reading,videos ect) on this power glider,and there just doesnt seem to be any that can beat it, friend has one and it flys and glides better than any of our others. I have two and have yet to maiden, they are great gliders,that is why they can ever be found in stock I like to be just a touch nose heavy not where nose falls when balancing but tips just slightly. enjoy it man !
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Putting new servos in the two extra wings i rebuilt .It has turned into major surgery lol, splicing ends on ect to get correct lengths, also these are 17g metal gear servos,just a little bigger so have to cut foam to fit. I may never (i hope) have to use them but they will be tuned and ready to go if i do.