HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,688 Posts
That sucks Jack Any idea what caused it? All of my big crashes were caused by pilot induced tip stalls. My first 4 flights with this plane resulted in 3 big crashes, after that, I finally got the hang of it...

Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the condolences!

I suspect it was primarily pilot error. I was about 150-175 yards out against a tree line 40 feet above ground and lost orientation, giving right when it should have been left and vice versa. By the time I got it right it was about 20 feet above ground and not flying well. I gave it up elevator as it had plenty of speed but it went straight in. It still was not flying well since the prior repairs and I was still trying to figure it out. A friend of mine, Pete Carr, who is a contributing editor to RC Soaring Digest wrote an article some time back about this RX loosing signal when far out and low. I will try to find the article and see if this might be part of the problem. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I inadvertently landed 75 yards out. I handed the Tx to my buddy and walked to the plane. All of a sudden the motor tried to run. I yelled and he held the Tx high and the motor stopped. Apparently you can loose signal if the Tx and Rx are on the ground or close. The Rx was the Spektrum R7010.

Sorry to hear you had problems originally. It flew really well for me before the first crash, just a little faster than my floaters, but extremely stable.

I have a "Cularis Sailplane" to stick a motor in to fly next. We'll see how that goes before deciding to try another "D". Maybe the D2500 motor will still run.

Hope you can get some flying in before Winter,

Thanks Jeff
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2001
118 Posts
Flying with new HK Motor

The weather is better now, so and test flights have gone well.
Duration seems slightly down, but that could just be the crisp weather.

All in all a good choice if you break a motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellj View Post
Weather rather bad in somerset, no-one flying at out field, so I still don't actually know for sure if the new HK motor works OK.
mitchellj is offline Find More Posts by mitchellj
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,688 Posts
That doesn't look to bad Jack, some boiling water and Gorilla Glue would get it back into shape. You might want to keep the pieces in case you change your mind down the road. I let my plane sit almost two months after the second crash before I was motivated enough to fix it

I've read that the Cularis is a very good plane, it's on my list of planes to get if I ever come across a good deal on one. You'll enjoy it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Damage is far worse than the picture shows. Fuse in front of wing leading had been pieced together from prior crash. Some of those joints held but a lot of new tears and crushes occured. The plastic tube for the motor mount is cracked and broken. The left wing tube is badly bent and likely not get back to square to permit the use of a longer wing rod needed to strengthen the point of deflection. The tube through the center of the fuse is bent from the prior crash and worsened in this one. The hole in the fuse for the tube has been badly widened in many places. The only salvagable parts are the right wing panel and the horizontal stabilizer. Good news is the motor seems OK and the servos, battery and ESC seem unharmed.

Onward to next project,

Thanks Jeff,
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
well i flew my Diamond 2500 for the 1st time today. It was AWESOME!!!!..i absolutely loved it. i had a couple of extra 3s lipos ranging from 2200mah to 2650 and i literally flew this Glider about 10 times today driving to different locations...... The only Modifications i did to this Glider was changed out the Tx & Rx and put my AR500 and DX7.....CG was on the Money...No bad habbit,,,Nothing i need to change out...Had ample power on 3s. I'm sure i would like it better on 4s but for now the 3s Lipos will suffice....
here's a few videos.
1st is from my Cell Phone. quick Video
2nd is my Key Chain Camera. Sorry, no HD..it's a old Key Chain Camera i got off of Ebay...lol.
and 3rd is just a basic Walkthrough at the end of day after i Flew...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rg1WxvhMjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkvPvvD1NUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZSBocYvwM
where did you buy this 2500 ? only one i see is from nitroplanes and it has smaller motor and no flaps ? Just noticed who you are you have the Super Sky Surfer also yes ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McC View Post
Hi Jeff,

Damage is far worse than the picture shows. Fuse in front of wing leading had been pieced together from prior crash. Some of those joints held but a lot of new tears and crushes occured. The plastic tube for the motor mount is cracked and broken. The left wing tube is badly bent and likely not get back to square to permit the use of a longer wing rod needed to strengthen the point of deflection. The tube through the center of the fuse is bent from the prior crash and worsened in this one. The hole in the fuse for the tube has been badly widened in many places. The only salvagable parts are the right wing panel and the horizontal stabilizer. Good news is the motor seems OK and the servos, battery and ESC seem unharmed.

Onward to next project,

Thanks Jeff,
Check your pm my friend.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:56 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
where did you buy this 2500 ? only one i see is from nitroplanes and it has smaller motor and no flaps ? Just noticed who you are you have the Super Sky Surfer also yes ?
Yes that's me. I have both....Got the 2500 from Nitro Planes. I got the 3s version. It has Flaps, but i just have to install the servos and do the necessary cutting...i like the Diamond 2500 better cause on a 3s it's more powerful and easy to throw then that of a SSS with a 3s...
Here's another video of me Flying on a 3s setup...This Glider i think i'm going to Keep for a long time....

Art Tech Diamond 2500 in park (2 min 41 sec)

Keychain Camera in HD (3 min 34 sec)
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Yes that's me. I have both....Got the 2500 from Nitro Planes. I got the 3s version. It has Flaps, but i just have to install the servos and do the necessary cutting...i like the Diamond 2500 better cause on a 3s it's more powerful and easy to throw then that of a SSS with a 3s...
Here's another video of me Flying on a 3s setup...This Glider i think i'm going to Keep for a long time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMz8W2g3R54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3JYv-yaZw
Yes sir there is zero comparison to the SSS,this plane is the best one out of all i have. It is very easy to fly,floats for ever,has no bad tendencies, and when landing. this is the only one i have that stays level when landing without fighting the sticks
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:00 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i have an interesting experience today....maybe someone who knows about Sailing and water can answer this...i flew in my Neighborhood near the bay. it's just a strip of lawn and the bay is right in front of me...Photo attached...Anyways...Water was Dead Calm..I mean i did not see any waves at all...I hand launched it and my Glider Flew terrible. It was bouncing around, jumping up violently, Unexpected Turning..i mean this Glider was flying like it was in real Gusty winds but i felt Nothing....Someone told me that it's possible the water was warm and air was cool and i was maybe experiencing turbulence or hot pocket air?...anyone ever heard of that? i mean when it's that dead calm you would think that a indoor foamy would fly outside...if someone can shed some light over this i would appreciate it...i flew the same day earlier at lunch time in different location on dry land in small park,,,and it was fine,,,,,it was only when i got home from work i decided to get one more flight in and flew over bay is when i experienced that extreme turbulence..
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
i have an interesting experience today....maybe someone who knows about Sailing and water can answer this...i flew in my Neighborhood near the bay. it's just a strip of lawn and the bay is right in front of me...Photo attached...Anyways...Water was Dead Calm..I mean i did not see any waves at all...I hand launched it and my Glider Flew terrible. It was bouncing around, jumping up violently, Unexpected Turning..i mean this Glider was flying like it was in real Gusty winds but i felt Nothing....Someone told me that it's possible the water was warm and air was cool and i was maybe experiencing turbulence or hot pocket air?...anyone ever heard of that? i mean when it's that dead calm you would think that a indoor foamy would fly outside...if someone can shed some light over this i would appreciate it...i flew the same day earlier at lunch time in different location on dry land in small park,,,and it was fine,,,,,it was only when i got home from work i decided to get one more flight in and flew over bay is when i experienced that extreme turbulence..
im sure there can be great thermals above when the water looks calm . Scary to have it go nuts when your not expecting it
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,688 Posts
Sounds like a strong thermal to me. Thermal air isn't always the smoothest, especially around it's edges.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:52 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2010
185 Posts
I think that it was windy up there but no wind at ground. I have that feeling very often when flying at sunset. It starts to be calm at ground but still very windy 100m (300feet) up! When temperature falls in the afternoon the cooler air lays down and is still but the wind continues a while higher up.
BG Bengtsson is offline Find More Posts by BG Bengtsson
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks guys,,,i'm glad to see that this is a real concern for conditions like this....everywhere else i fly is no problem,,,but this was the 3rd time i flew over that same area and Glider flew terrible. so i think i will just have to avoid that area.....Thanks again for the feedback...

here's another Video i did at my local Flying Field and also another Vid with a HD Keychain Camera...I'm hooked on those Keychain Camera's now...need to try FPV one day...

Art Tech Diamond 2500 nitro planes (4 min 3 sec)

Keychain Video Camera HD (6 min 41 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
rhampton:

That second video had me on the edge of the seat man ! That is some fine flying in a strong wind,and in a tight populated area ! whew !!